Start of a new fishing season

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynn Marie

City/Region: Redmond
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Lynn Marie
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Start of a new fishing season Reply with quote

This seems like a good thread whenever a member gets out and starts having a little success they're willing to share with fellow Brats or the rest of the world.

Today I made my first trip to the beach for razor clams and it wasn't even a very good tide since it was a 0.6 hold up instead of a minus tide. I was with my brother and another fishing buddy and we ended up with almost a full 3 limits of the falls first dig of fresh clams for the three of us. The first of the season when digging near to the shore are generally a bit on the small side but always cook up tender and I'm sure these will be when cooked tomorrow.

The real reason for this post, even though not caught from a C-Dory, is that TyBoo Mike mentioned that there is always the chance to head off shore here in June for a limit of Silver salmon then come into the river for a limit of sturgeon. All this during the Warrenton Sturgeon Festival 2005, and if the tides were right there could even be a chance to catch the morning low water for a limit of razor clams before going to the docks to head out in the boats. If you were here and enjoyed these last month at the Warrenton docks you'll be ready to dig come June.

As we eat this first batch for the year Judy and I will keep our fingers crossed for a good tide when we chase the sturgeon durring the Festival.

Good clamming to the rest of you and good fishing for whatever your home turf has to offer up.

Tim

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Start of a new fishing season Reply with quote

OK, well, I guess I will throw in the Honda EU2000, the Fry Daddy Jr., a jug of cooking oil and some beer and flour for beer batter...Deep fried...sturgeon...salmon...razor clams...yum!

Lynn Marie wrote:
This seems like a good thread whenever a member gets out and starts having a little success they're willing to share with fellow Brats or the rest of the world.

Today I made my first trip to the beach for razor clams and it wasn't even a very good tide since it was a 0.6 hold up instead of a minus tide. I was with my brother and another fishing buddy and we ended up with almost a full 3 limits of the falls first dig of fresh clams for the three of us. The first of the season when digging near to the shore are generally a bit on the small side but always cook up tender and I'm sure these will be when cooked tomorrow.

The real reason for this post, even though not caught from a C-Dory, is that TyBoo Mike mentioned that there is always the chance to head off shore here in June for a limit of Silver salmon then come into the river for a limit of sturgeon. All this during the Warrenton Sturgeon Festival 2005, and if the tides were right there could even be a chance to catch the morning low water for a limit of razor clams before going to the docks to head out in the boats. If you were here and enjoyed these last month at the Warrenton docks you'll be ready to dig come June.

As we eat this first batch for the year Judy and I will keep our fingers crossed for a good tide when we chase the sturgeon durring the Festival.

Good clamming to the rest of you and good fishing for whatever your home turf has to offer up.

Tim

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

en_pissant

C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Hooligan
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim.

I live in the Seattle area, and usually make it down for at least three digs a year in Long Beach. My family owns the Super 8 there. I guess I'll have to plan on towing the boat there come June.

I've heard of people digging limits in both Oregon and Washington. What are the general regs in Oregon on the razors? It seems like in general Oregon is less restrictive on stuff that Washington.

I'd sure like to get a sturgeon sometime. Is it do-able from my 22 angler?
Lynn Marie

City/Region: Redmond
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Lynn Marie
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

en-pissant,

Sturgeon from a 22 angler is doable. That's what Raven Daven and his brother Heron Chuck both have and they catch as many if not more than anybody. Just bring that boat on down. As for the razor clamming, Oregon lets you clam when the tides out and the waters clean unless it is the normal summer closure form July till October. We also get to retain 15 of the little buggers.

Pat,

If you're using that Snoqualmie beer that should make a gourmet batter.

Tim
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only fishing platform I can imagine that is better than a C-Dory 22 Cruiser is a C-Dory 22 Angler. That is the biggest drawback of my CD 25 vs. my previous CD 22. Standing with your feet below the water line is ideal for sturgeon catching. Even the narrow beam is great for it. When a big feller is hooked, the other poles come in and the person with the fish gets the whole back of the boat. Even my 10 year old grandaughter can handle a legal sturgeon from the back of a 22 CD. (Folks don't call her the Stugeon Queen for nothin', ya know!) There's no need to rush from side to side when the fish runs; just hold the pole tip up (if you can) and follow the fish past the back of the boat. I always use 30# mono and fairly limber poles, so you don't horse a bad old angry sturgeon around much.

Yeah, you'll like it!

Patrout

City/Region: NORTH POLE
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: C-FARER
Photos: C-FARER
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'll have to wait until next spring, but does anyone have information on good razor clam beaches in the Prince William Sound?

YUM!

Pat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: