The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

C Dory in Texas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calcaptain32

City/Region: Houston
State or Province: TX
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: C Dory in Texas Reply with quote

Howdy, from Houston. I am hoping for some good luck. I have never seen a C Dory in the water. Have only seen two total. One is in dry stack on Clear Lake (neither clear or a lake) actually upwater from Galveston bay. Sorry rambling. I have spoken with the owner and ask for a ride.. Not going to happen.

The only other C Dory I've seen is in slings up Dickenson Bayou I got there by water and have no idea how to get there by land..

Here is the question: the boat in slings is "River Horse" (wonder how many share that name?) In any case would anyone know the owner?

Secondly anyone know of another Dory anywhere sorta close to Housotn/Galveston?
Thanks in advance
Jay Jones :
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, first of all, welcome to the site, glad to have you, you'll find some great folks here.

"River Horse" is the name of a book and the boat that William Least Heat Moon used on a trip from the East Coast to the West Coast on a very circuitous trip (to say the least). It's a very good book and it's reviewed at Amazon.com here

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0395636264/ref=sib_dp_pt/002-9293308-2820050#reader-link

No idea if it's the same boat but seems likely. Not sure who the current owner is. You might look through the member/owner list here at this site, it can be sorted by boat name and by location, although it's a bit cumbersome because there's no fast and hard convention about how to list it. You can see the TX boats too. Most owners will jump at the chance to take folks for a ride, wish you were closer to us, I'd volunteer in a heartbeat.

You can also look at the other site,

http://groups.msn.com/CDoryOwnersGroup

the C-Dogs, they have a similar member list but many of them are part of this site too. Lots of good info at both places.

Good luck with your search, I bet others will chime in too.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, me again....I obviously don't have enough to do so I did some leg work for you. The following users list TX as their location (lots don't list any and this is no guarantee that they have a boat, you can look it up though, if they have a boat, they usually have an album with pix)

User Name / Location
rattlebush Corpus Christi Tx
C-Note Frisco Tx
myers_drew Houston Tx
CalCaptain32 Houston Tx (That's you!!)
J-Dog Rockport Tx
Blue-Echo Seabrook Tx
C-Aggie TX (no city listed)
Cubby TX (no city listed)

Hope it helps, there's e-mail POCs for some of them or you can send them a PM (Private Message) through the site.

Good luck..

Charlie
Calcaptain32

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the information Reply with quote

Thanks for all your information.. I'm on it like a duck on a june bug.
I have the book "River Horse" enjoyed it.

Several of those you listed are very close (by Texas dimensions) and they can expect a call.

Thanks again.. Being a long time boat owner I always apprecieated an excuse/reason to get the boat out..

I'm hoping the C Dory is a good single hand boat..
Jay (tired of hunting for crew) Jones
SusanS

City/Region: West Richland WA USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Nikawa Reply with quote

Nikawa is the name of the, and on the boat owned by William Least Heat Moon. Here is the article about where it ended up in Missouri. http://archive.columbiatribune.com/2003/May/20030504Ovat010.asp
[/url]
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SusanS, I stand corrected. Thanks. I read the book some time ago and feebly remembered it named River Horse, as in the title of the book. Thanks for the great info.

Jay, good luck on your search. Get the boat, the crew will come...

charlie
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't have any trouble single-handing it normally. Here I am, headed up "skinny water," single-handed. Where it can be a challenge is in a real blow -- you'll have to plan ahead for that as in a sailboat.

SusanS

City/Region: West Richland WA USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:22 am    Post subject: Niwaka again Reply with quote

Captains Choice,
I read River Horse when it first came out and then re-read it this past summer. Loved it both times and was curious about where the boat had ended up. Like others, it is the boat that got me interested in C-Dory's.

Owning a C-Dory is probably in the distant future rather than the near term, gotta get a kid thru college first. So I'll just keep boating vicariously through the rest of you!!

SusanS
chinook

City/Region: Swan Lake, Pengilly
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Chinook
Photos: Chinook
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: C-Dory In Texas Reply with quote

Hi All

This is Chinook from Northern MN. I read with great interest how Wm.
Least Heat Moon's "River Horse" got people interested in C-Dory boats.
I am another example; once I had read "River Horse", I knew that was my next boat. I have been a river rat for 50 years, have run boats on the Mississippi, St Croix and Lake Superior up to 55 ft. I think Chinook is the best of the lot, and every bit as seaworthy as the biggest of them. It is infinitely portable, comfortable enough for a few nights out, cheap to own & operate, and fun to own. You can't say that of many other boats.

Calcaptain32

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: single hand Reply with quote

Thanks for the picture... My experience is, once you get the boat out, best crew inthe world is "otto" or "Metal Mike" the auto pilot.

My "problems" with single handing is the first 5 and last 5 feet to/from the dock. Once you get enough way to make steerage, alls well.
Jay in Houston

flagold wrote:
You won't have any trouble single-handing it normally. Here I am, headed up "skinny water," single-handed. Where it can be a challenge is in a real blow -- you'll have to plan ahead for that as in a sailboat.

Catman

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SusanS. thanks for linking that article about Nikawa. What an honor for Heat-Moon, and fabulous publicity for the company.

Personally that could pose a dilemma. Do I put Bambina under glass for eternity and invite the curious and respectful, knowing I'll never again fire up her Honda and explore island splendor?
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay:

One of the things I really like is having the mini-keel -- it tracks straight with the prop almost out of the water, and going into some of the places I go, makes it relatively easy. I really shocked the kayaker crowd the otherr day by going up 4 miles in this river. They couldn't believe it. Pic is aft and on station with the hookah rig hunting artifacts at an old plantation. Fully concur with the other comments on larger boats and this one.

Matt Mattson
100 ton Master N/C
http://www.treasuresites.com

Attachments

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: