View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Kendall propane stove Reply with quote

My boat came with a Kendall propane, single burner stove. It uses a small canister that fits into the stove on the right side. It only uses those and I can not find any up here in Alaska.
Is the stove worth keeping??
Where can I get canisters??
Options??

Thanks for the help.

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack-

Here's a great site that discusses different brands and types of propane stoves and canisters, etc. :

Liquefied Petroleum Gas Burners, aka Canister Stoves and Gaz Stoves

See if you can find your cannister type under the "Canister Types" section.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack I have the Kendall butane stove and I'm satisfied with it. Like you I had trouble finding the butane canisters and on the advice from someone on the site I ordered a case from and e-bay supplier and they were less than $2 a can including shipping. I find a canister last about 4 days of normal boat camping. I've been told that Oriental food stores have the canisters also.
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marvin4239 wrote:
Jack I have the Kendall butane stove and I'm satisfied with it. Like you I had trouble finding the butane canisters and on the advice from someone on the site I ordered a case from and e-bay supplier and they were less than $2 a can including shipping. I find a canister last about 4 days of normal boat camping. I've been told that Oriental food stores have the canisters also.

Marvin-

Can you give us a cannister type or model number?

The stove is probably made over there in the Orient (isn't everything, though), but has not been modified for U.S. / Canada available type canisters. Probably available at Oriental Markets because some are brought over by immigrants or ordered online by them from there.

I remember reading about one of the types of canisters being available at Oriental markets.

Is it this one?

From the source I revered to in the earlier post:
"There are several companies that make butane cartridges for portable stoves. One such design has a bayonet male fitting and a collar with a notch in it. These canister may cost a little less than their wider based brothers and may be easier to pack. You may be able to find these canisters at boat shops for a price or at Asian markets for very very cheap."

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
marvin4239

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Sea Wolf"]
marvin4239 wrote:
Marvin-

Can you give us a cannister type or model number?

The stove is probably made over there in the Orient (isn't everything, though), but has not been modified for U.S. / Canada available type canisters. Probably available at Oriental Markets because some are brought over by immigrants or ordered online by them from there.

I remember reading about one of the types of canisters being available at Oriental markets.

Is it this one?

From the source I revered to in the earlier post:
"There are several companies that make butane cartridges for portable stoves. One such design has a bayonet male fitting and a collar with a notch in it. These canister may cost a little less than their wider based brothers and may be easier to pack. You may be able to find these canisters at boat shops for a price or at Asian markets for very very cheap."

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Joe that's the type my stove uses. If you notice the top of the can has a notch in it that aligns with the kendall stove. Actually West Marine carries them and they are $5.99 each. I'm going out in a little while to my garage to see if I have the information on the e-bay guy I ordered mine from it was a really good deal. You sometimes see these being used on buffet table type equipment.
marvin4239

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The name of the company I got my cannisters from is GASONE the model is gas-1 DOT - 2D Dot reg M4015. I couldn't find my original receipt but a e-bay search for butane canister should bring up several suppliers. Mine came shipped 28 cans to the case and it was around $1.80 a can including shipping. The canisters are made in Korea and as far a quality they seemed to be the same as the canisters I had bought at West Marine for $5.99 a can also made in Korea. I don't think butane is as highly compressed as propane which may make it a little safer but this is just a guess on my part.
Big dave

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Raven Dancer
Photos: Raven Dancer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought some of those canisters that are shown in the picture above at "Big 5 Sporting Goods" for a $1.99 ea. They only had 6 so I bought them all.
I guess I didn't know that I got such a deal !
Big Dave.
Raven Dancer.
Spike38

City/Region: Punta Gorda
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google didn't pick up anything on "Kendall propane stove" for me. We use the Gasone butane stove like this one - http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Push-Button-Butane-Camping-Emergencies/dp/B000RA8V1S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1241117534&sr=8-1 - on Amazon and the Gasone canisters as described above. Both stove and canisters are very reasonable on eBay, as mentioned. In fact, at $10 or so if the stove only lasts a couple of years... We find these stoves heat very fast but may be difficult to bring down to a simmer.
Nunya

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Photos: Nunya
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack,
Try and find propane bottles for your stove. My experience with different butane stoves is they don't work very well up here in spring or fall.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nunya wrote:
Jack,
Try and find propane bottles for your stove. My experience with different butane stoves is they don't work very well up here in spring or fall.

I wouldn't recommend trying to run propane on a stove designed for butane (unless of course the stove is designed to use both). At room temperature, the vapor pressure of propane is about 110PSI where as butane is only about 30PSI. Stove components designed for butane may not handle the higher pressure of propane.

However, you're definitely correct that butane won't work very well in cold weather as it's vapor pressure is low when things get cold. Also it the gas/liquid inside gets even colder as the liquid evaporates and the gas expands to feed the burner.

Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thinking, Roger!

I'd hope that there are standards for each type of canister in terms of what pressures it is designed for and what gas or mixture of gases are allowed therein. Regulations and compliance will obviously vary a lot from country to country, though.

I know I've read where propane and butane are mixed in certain types of containers to keep the vapor pressure high enough to allow them to operate and supply gas to stoves at high altitudes and cold temperatures for backpackers, ice fishermen,etc.

Much the same is done for users of propane and butane stoves in domestic situations where the gas supplier mixes the two gases to avoid cold temperature non-supply issues during the cold weather of winter, etc.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, folks, here's the best way to get butane cartridges. I just did it, and can now check one more thing of the getting-ready-for-cruising list.

Look in the yellow pages for oriental grocery stores. In Escondido, there were 2 ea. Stopping in at the nearest (a Thai food hole-in-the-wall,) I found packages of 4 ea. for $6.50 (+Arnie's cut.) Bought all they had (5) and was told they'd have more Thursday. $1.80/can. Includes tax

e-bay has them for 12 cans for $16. But wait, shipping is $18.50. Which works out to be $2.90/can Including shipping, but no tax. If you're from Ca, big Arnie wants his cut.

The important part is the convenience. If there's no oriental grocery nearby, e-bay may be better. You now have a choice. And they're all from Korea.

Boris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: