The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Headlights for Osprey
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fishhawk

City/Region: Bon Secour
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Headlights for Osprey Reply with quote

Greetings,

Has anyone out there put headlights on a CD22? It would be good to not have to reinvent the wheel with this.

Hammock Creek Alabama is narrow enough with lots of overhanging trees. We need to navigate about a half mile of that in the dark.

My thinking so far is that permanent headlights mounted below the line of sight from the helm will provide the best no glare lighting. I set up a DNR night electrofishing boat with them and they worked well. The problem is I didn't care where I drilled holes on that boat and it never was intended to be a thing of beauty.

Maybe mounting on the bottom of the bow rail uprights on each side, hanging down below the deck would be good.

Any thoughtful brats want to share what they've done or thought about doing?

Thanks for any ideas,

Capt Dan

DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt. Dan,
Several of us have a Go-Light mounted on the apex of our bow pulpit. This works well for what your intended purposes are. Additionally, the beam direction can be controlled from the helm. The light will "pan" up and down and turn 360 degrees. There is no glare, because of the way it is located. If you look at page 2 (photo #46) in my photo album, you can see a "distant" picture of it.

Not really headlights.....more of a "cyclops" effect... Wink .

C-Brat #16
Fishhawk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Golight Reply with quote

Dave,

Now that's what I'm talkin bout, a good brat gettin me straight fast. Thanks very much.

Looking at the 2020 model. Have you got a plate welded on the railing to mount it on? Does somebody make a RAM - railing mount for the light?

Did you run the wires down through the railings into the V-berth?

CD
DaveS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt. Dan,
When I purchased the boat through EQ Marine, I asked Les (EQ Marine) to do the install. He welded a stainless steel plate on top of the bow pulpit and ran the wiring along the bow pulpit tubing and into the v-berth. The stainless steel plate is located a few inches posterior to the tip of the pulpit, so I can mount a flag standard on the bow pulpit (if desired). If you look closely through some of my pix, I also have flood lights mounted on the radar arch on the port and starboard side as well as one mounted on the arch that illuminates the cockpit, transom and the engines.
I don't know about RAM mount that will fit.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, what's the small white round item mounted starboard of the door facing the cockpit? I assume it's a small reading-type light. Question

Was thinking about how much real useable light was out there. The cockpit lights in the 25 seem just enough to light the deck for that "romantic" feel [which is fine most of the time] but they're hardly enough to do any serious task etc. I like your idea of a "flood" type light on the radar arch. Idea Just enough to light the area without looking like a crab boat on The Deadliest Catch. Wink

DaveS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
Dave, what's the small white round item mounted starboard of the door facing the cockpit? I assume it's a small reading-type light. Question

You are exactly right, Mark. In the evenings, I'll often sit back there on a folding chair and read. I rarely go to sleep before midnight, and since my late night ramblings tend to disturb Carol, this works best.

When the camperback is deployed the stern floodlight is not effective as the camperback blocks the light beam. The rear "porchlight" illuminates the cockpit, transom and engines quite well. Obviously with the camperback not in place, the rear floodlight illuminates much better.

In my profession we call these flood lights "scene lights"....in your profession, you call them "take down and alley lghts"...... Laughing .
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I mounted my Golite. It is removeable and has a suction base as well. The suction cup works great for the top of the radar dome, back windows, side windows. When its not up front I use it on the back to clean fish.

cbull

City/Region: charleston
State or Province: SC
Vessel Name: knot yankee
Photos: Knot Yankee
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good light. however, remove the handle. I have the go light mounted on top of Knot Yankee. The black handle drips black marks. great light for 99 bucks. I wish I could figure out how to slow the movement down.
jkidd

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine sits in a zippered bag most of the time. The remote has 2 speeds, I just hit the +- key to change the speed. I stopped mounting them permanent because the sun gets to them fast and turns them yellow. They are very handy lights though.
DaveS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkidd wrote:
The suction cup works great for the top of the radar dome, back windows, side windows.

Jody, just a word of caution on the suction cup mount.....I had the suction cup type (like yours) on my 16' C-Dory. Before I hard mounted the base (like you have on the bow pulpit), I suction mounted it on the roof of the 16'. The next morning when I went out to check it out, it had lost its' suction overnight and had it not been on a flat roof, it would have slid off the roof. It was then that I permanently mounted the base unit for the light to slide and lock into.
The Go-Light that is on our 22' is a different model that is only set up for a permanent mount.
Fishhawk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Golight Reply with quote

Jody,

Removable Golight, I like the idea.

How do you handle the wires and control cable when the light is not in use?

CD
jkidd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Light only has one cable with a cigarette lighter end. In my pictures you can see I ran it down the hole for the anchor rope. I have ran it through the center window as well. The light uses a remote control to run, so no wires there. I have 3 lighter jacks in the v berth that is where I plug in. I do need to make a shim to tip the light down a little more. It works fine just want to be able to aim it down a little more. The nice thing is if you go to shore at night you can turn the light on and off from about 100-150 feet with the remote, nice boarding light. When it's not in use wire just gets rolled up with the light and stored in a bag.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've discussed all of this before, and a Search would find several threads.

Here's my solution:

The wiring goes down the bow pulpit tubes into the v-berth and then to the helm.

More lights can be added for docking and close up work:

And you can do it to the rear too!

The rear searchlight isn't remote controlled (manual), but also comes out on a flexible cord for hand use, etc.

More lights give your more flexibility and portability:

Not shown: Several flashlights and the light on the emergency starter/lantern/air compressor stored under the helm footboard. Also have an underwater attractor droplight on a 75 foot cord for fishing at night.

Light em up if ya' got 'em!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is one thing I learned on the job is the more & better flashilights, the safer and easier to work. And your backup had better be just as good as your primary.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the idea we use off this C brat sight. It is a tractor utility light, with a magnetic mount (Northern Tools has these)--and we put a cigarette lighter plug on the end of the cord--and put the magnetic mount on the underside of the anchor. The light is not overpowering. (You don't really want "head lights"--you want something which will light up the nearby banks and docks etc. It is removiable and used when you need it.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: