The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Desig & Construction Practices
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toyman

City/Region: Lake Livingston
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Fan-C-Dory
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Desig & Construction Practices Reply with quote

As some know I just bought a 25' and made a trip to check it out. At the risk of offending some members I'm going to question some C-Dory practices.

Comments concern a 2006 - 25' Cruiser.

The aluminum fuel tank (The one on my Whaler corroded thru in 10 years)is in the bilge - un-vented. The batteries (2 each grp 24 deep cycle) are mounted in the stern lazarette, one on each side. This area is open to the bilge, contains the fuel filter, the fuel tank, and the battery selector switch. Should there not be a vent and blower system for this area ? Is there a long term corrosion problem here caused by the battery venting in this enclosed area - not to mention the explosive vapor problem ?

In East Texas
Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

City/Region: Port Orchard
State or Province: WA
Photos: Kitsap Marina
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Dory boats are built to ABYC standards.

Aluminum tanks are acceptable tanks, and can give 20 years of service, or more in properly installed. C-Dory does build the boat with a removable deck panel so tat if the tank should ever need replacing, the deck does not need to be cut up.

The battery switches are often installed in engine rooms, so I assume they are ignition protected.

If ABYC or USCG or NMMA required venting in that area, C-Dory would have provided it.

360-895-2193
(888) 293-7991
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: ABYC Reply with quote

I recall an extensive thread about ABYC and NMMA, I believe Bob Austin determined through some of the wiring practices among other things that C-Dory's are not ABYC compliant. I also remember reading a thread where C-Dory was nowhere to be found on a list of NMMA certified manufacturers....maybe I'm blending some threads but I definitely remember reading about it here....

Perhaps that has changed since the first discussion?

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
Alok

City/Region: League City
Photos: Top Cat
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one of the threads Capt. Matt is talking about...

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=8989&highlight=cdory+nmma

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before we go down the road of NMMA certification, etc, please remember that C-Dory did build the C-25 under NMEA certification at one time. I'm not aware of any major design changes since 2005.

As for the gas tank, the material choices are aluminum, plastic, iron (had a sailboat with an iron tank, diesel) or fiberglass. Take your pick, but aluminum sounds good to me. Just keep it out of seawater. Fiberglass doesn't work with alcohol. Plastic doesn't age well, though I've got a motorcycle with a plastic tank that's holding up. If you want more ventilation add some vents. I did.

And if one wants to discuss endgrain balsa core, some think that is the best coring material one can have.

Boris
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris, I think you just made the slip of the fingers I was guilty of: NMEA--Natinoal Marine Electronics association--vs NMMA--National Marine Manufactures Association.

C Dory was NOT NMMA certified or ABYC complient in 2006 when I purchased my Tom Cat. NMMA was pending--and did not occur until 2007. I am not sure of history prior to 2003--my 2003 C Dory 25 was not AYBC or NMMA complient. Just because a boat was ABYC complient at one time, does not mean it is at other times. Materials, management and workers change.

One must remember that ABYC is a set of standards (these are available to members cheaper than to non members). NMMA means that the boat complies to their standards--and these cost money--both for the organizations and the surveys. It is very possiable that C Dory (Fluid Marine) does not feel that it is worth the costs.

This does not excuse them from not building to the standards. i cannot comment if the current boats are built to the standards or not. Currently I could not find on the NMMA web site C Dory or Fluid Marine. I could not find mention of ABYC or NMMA on the C Dory web site (but I may have missed it--it does not seem to currently be in the PDF brochure).

Getting back to the questions. If there is no ventillation, then you should put in a couple of vents--no big deal to do this, and it would be a good idea for condensation alone.

The fuel tank is a more difficult question. My 25 has the plastic tank, which is not leaking--and I decided to not replace it when I replaced the cockpit deck (older 25's did not have a removiable floor). I am told that only one plastic tank leaked and that was replaced.

A properly built and installed aluminum tank should have the following characteristics. 1: be built of a aluminum alloy which is not salt water corrosive. 2 be properly prepared, and then painted with an appropiate two part epoxy primer (usually stronchium chromate or zinc chromate) and then the bottom of the tank should rest of plywood which is sealed with epoxy--so it will not soak up water (or the tank can rest on the inner hull). In either case, the proper way to install the tank is to 5200 some strips of plastic to the bottom, so that it will never sit in water, and then put 5200 under this plastic to bond it in place. I believe in a discussion in the past, that C Dory claimed that they were using a non carbon containing rubber compound to space the hull off the floor--and if this is the case, and there is no water, then it is OK.

However, the way the C Dory 25 sits, the bilge pump is just aft of the tank, and there is often water in the tank compartment when the boat is in the water. You need to be sure that the boat sits to that any water will drain out the aft drain plug when the boat is on the trailer (tongue high).

Yes, 20 years is about average for many fuel tanks (both steel and aluminum) but I recently heard of one boat where the tank was leaking (not C Dory) after 3 years due to corrosion. Worse is the tanks which are foamed in. The water sits in contact with the tank.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sarge

City/Region: Edmonds
Vessel Name: Sea Badger
Photos: Gigi
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this is a silly question, but they build aluminum boats that sit IN saltwater for many, many years with no corrosion, why is having salt water touching an aluminum gas tank a problem?

I'm quite curious.

2001 2150 Bayliner, sold
2007 CD25, sold
2007 Harbercraft Kingfisher 2850, sold
2011 Stabicraft 2250SC, sold
2011 Eastern 18cc

Blog: http://theseabadger.wordpress.com
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarge wrote:
Maybe this is a silly question, but they build aluminum boats that sit IN saltwater, why is having salt water touching an aluminum gas tank a problem?
I'm quite curious.

Sarge, do you mean to tell me that when you purchased Pingu, the salesmen didn't tell you that it is only good for 20 years? Mr. Green

(Just havin' a bit of fun with you Sarge....I'm guessing that it has to do with the grade of aluminum, but I'm no metallurgist).

C-Brat #16
westward

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarge: there are different types of corrosion, including galvanic and crevice, that can attack aluminum. Also, as you likely know, not all aluminum alloys are appropriate for continuous contact with saltwater. When the builders of high quality aluminum boats (and presumably fuel tanks) use fastidious construction practices like those Bob mentions the boats can and do last a very long time. When corners are cut, whether deliberately or through ignorance, aluminum boats can go to waste rapidly. My mother owned a cheaper riveted aluminum boat whose hull corroded through in one winter in the crevice between the trailer bunk and the hull bottom. Her partner in the boat failed to rinse after a final saltwater use, and maybe there was a stray current somewhere, and the next Spring the hull was a total loss. I've personally observed many poor, amateurish applications of aluminum in recreational boats where you'd assume the builder would know better. No idea if this applies to the fuel tanks on the CD25. Cheers, Mike.
denny-o

City/Region: Hemlock
State or Province: MI
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the issue of the fuel tank being present in the bilge with the battery/switches and the lack of bilge blowers...
The tank and lines and filter are presumed (that word) to be a sealed system that does not vent fumes or gasoline into the bilge... Since there are no fumes/gas there is no need for bilge blowers... If you do have a leak in the system then all bets are off...
Given that the biggest ignition source in boat fires, the motor, is out back in free air the risk is greatly reduced... Does anyone on the list know of a C-Dory burning up from a fuel leak? I suspect not...

As far as a gas tank my first choice is aluminum... It does not rust or swell and it will not corrode IF it is properly installed - sitting on plastic chafe strips with air space underneath, secured against vibration chafing, air flow all around to prevent crevice corrosion, and kept full when stored... It must NOT be sitting on wood or be foamed into place...

You could put a fan in the bilge to blow air across the tank whenever the engine master switch is on...
An elegant solution would be a small solar cell directly powering a small fan, no battery, to automatically move air across the tank and through the bilge during the daylight hours...

Someone needs to get the model number off their battery switch and check the manufactures web site... Certainly an explosion proof would be preferred...

denny-o

Sarge

City/Region: Edmonds
Vessel Name: Sea Badger
Photos: Gigi
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Quote:
Sarge, do you mean to tell me that when you purchased Pingu, the salesmen didn't tell you that it is only good for 20 years?

Thankfully I missed that conversation with my salesguy, but at my marina I was told by two people that a different, quite well known aluminum boat builder was being sued because the welding wasn't holding up to the salt water. I hadn't really thought of that before (I'm kinda slow...) but the aluminum was fine, it was the process of keeping it together that was failing. I can see that being an issue with an aluminum gas tank too, I suppose.

BTW, I did visit the C-Dory factory in 2008 and saw how they attached the aluminum gas tank into the hull of a CD25 and it did sit on two plastic or foam strips about 1/2-3/4" high to keep it off the bottom of the hull. Sorry, I don't know if they were plastic or foam.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarge wrote:
Maybe this is a silly question, but they build aluminum boats that sit IN saltwater for many, many years with no corrosion, why is having salt water touching an aluminum gas tank a problem?

I'm quite curious.

I'm not sure of the final answer, but here are some considerations:

An aluminum hull will be connected together and there fore grounded to either an outboard or inboard engine. Either will have anodes on drive leg or the drive shaft. The sacrificial anodes are of zinc (in salt water) or aluminum alloy formulated to sacrifice itself (in fresh water). Because the whole system is bonded together electrically, the aluminum hull stays intact, and the sacrificial anodes are consumed. The anodes are chosen because they are more active chemically than the hull and motor aluminum alloys, and they react with the salt components in the water, leaving the aluminum intact.

The next question then becomes why the fuel tank, since it is grounded together with everything else, can be corroded by salt water in the bilge. (?)

Aluminum is somewhat self-protecting, forming an oxide on it's surface which resists further corrosion. But installations that hold water against the hull, such as when tanks are foamed in and/or restriction of drying air and particularly oxygen occurs, set the tanks up for corrosion. In effect, the tank is an electrode in a battery, and the restrictions put the electrode under water in the electrolyte. (Simplified). The answer may well include the fact that the water in the bilge is not connected with the water outside the boat, making it and the aluminum tank a separate cell or battery, if you will.

More reading:

boats.com-Fuel Tank Awareness

How To Install an Aluminum Fuel Tank, by David Pascoe

Continuous Wave - discussion of fuel tanks Start reading with John W's post on the subject....

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
toyman

City/Region: Lake Livingston
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Fan-C-Dory
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really have no problem with the Aluminum fuel tank, probably the best (cost effective, lightest) material for the application. The problem with the tank in the Whaler was due to THEIR dumb design - foaming the tank in place, in a well with no drainage.

But back in the C-Dory bilge / lazarette area (working from photos and memory here) there are batteries (hydrogen) , wiring busses, fuel filter (what is that hose hanging off of the fuel filter with a QD on it), battery switch, fuses, bilge pump w/float switch. I'd almost bet that none of the electrical is EX (explosion proof). So this C-Dory WILL have vents & blowers.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be clear - C-Dory builds the boat but the engines and a good fraction of the electrical work is typically done at the dealer. Installs of batteries, battery switches and fuel systems vary dramatically from boat to boat due to differences in dealer installs. Knowing what I know now, I would have had a lot of things done differently when I first bought the boat - but then I didn't know what I know now. The next boat will be informed by the knowledge gained from this one. It sounds like you have enough boating experience that you can either redesign a used boat's systems or, if you buy a new one communicate enough with both the dealer and/or the factory to get things done the way you want.
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New one from Dave Gerr: http://www.mcgraw-hill.com.au/html/9780071444569.html

Could be a good resource to check out before committing to a possible purchase.

No affiliation with Gerr or McGraw Hill, just an admirer of Gerr's expertise and clean, clear prose.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: