The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Removing paint with oven cleaner?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Witbeck

City/Region: Providence, RI
State or Province: RI
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lobster Soap
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Removing paint with oven cleaner? Reply with quote

We did it! Bought a good used 1999 CD22. Drove from Providence to Baltimore through 8 hours of hurricane rain and wind on 10/28 (which hurricane was that anyway?) to pick it up from Cutter Marine. Had a brief sea trial the next morning and trailered her back to RI. Within 36hrs of getting her back here, sold the 50 Honda for a very healthy downpayment on a 90 which will be installed before she's shrinkwrapped for the winter. Before it gets too cold, I want to remove her old name. Some one told me that the best way to do that is with EasyOff oven cleaner. Has anyone had any experience with this?
en_pissant

C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Hooligan
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be Careful. It's bad luck to change the name of a boat. There's some sort of ceremony you are supposed to perform. You certainly don't want incur the wrath of the "C-Gods".

Twisted Evil
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a "denaming" ceremony, I'm sure someone will chime in with here. Just out of curiosity, why not use paint remover?

Congrats on the new boat!

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Witbeck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie, I'm told (by one unconfirmed source) that easyoff works better than paint remover and I had a bad experience several years ago using a paint remover that was supposedly formulated for use on fiberglass. While trying to remove several years of bottom paint from my Stone Horse it softened the gelcoat so much that it got gouged even with a plastic scraper. It was a minor problem on the bottom where it would never be seen, but I sure wouldn't want that to happen on the topsides.
I should probably do a test spot somewhere inconspicuous like under the v-berth cushions before I use anything.

Thanks, David
Minnow

City/Region: East Amwell
State or Province: NJ
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Minnow
Photos: Minnow
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had great results removing lettering on a truck with oven cleaner. It softens the lettering, but not the factory baked-on paint. Spray it on, wait a while, and wipe off with a rag. It will take several applications, so don't rush it. Zip-strip or the like will ruin the base paint also. Use the real stuff with lye in it, not the new eco-friendly water based non-working variety. I haven't tried it on gelcoat, so the previous mention of a trial spot would seem to be prudent.
Witbeck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: removing paint with oven cleaner Reply with quote

I successfully removed the old name of my CD22 with oven cleaner, but not without a few heart-stopping moments. On nice shiny, unoxydized gelcoat ( like under the V-berth cushions) it had no effect on the finish. However, on the oxydized gelcoat surrounding the painted on name it caused a nasty yellow stain. The paint came off really quickly and the area under where it had been was nice and white and stain-free, but stood out prominently against the stain. I used a few applications of a liquid rubbing compound which didn't help very much. I consulted one of the old timers at the boatyard who told me to try white vinegar. I wiped that on and most of the stain disappeared almost immediately. The following day, after sitting in the sun for a while the stain was completely gone. What a relief that was!
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Removing paint with oven cleaner? Reply with quote

Congrats on the new boat! Can't comment on removing paint, sorry. One suggestion though - you might want to update your profile to include your location, it makes easier to respond to a lot of posts if one knows where the author is located (not this one, of course - Easy Off is Easy Off, wherever you are I guess!). Sorry to hear you have to shrink wrap for the winter - here on the Upper Left Coast we are still plotting our next cruise, should we be lucky enough to get a calm day, throughout the year...

Witbeck wrote:
We did it! Bought a good used 1999 CD22. Drove from Providence to Baltimore through 8 hours of hurricane rain and wind on 10/28 (which hurricane was that anyway?) to pick it up from Cutter Marine. Had a brief sea trial the next morning and trailered her back to RI. Within 36hrs of getting her back here, sold the 50 Honda for a very healthy downpayment on a 90 which will be installed before she's shrinkwrapped for the winter. Before it gets too cold, I want to remove her old name. Some one told me that the best way to do that is with EasyOff oven cleaner. Has anyone had any experience with this?

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: