The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Lightning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Lightning Reply with quote

Hmmm -- since we have been having some interesting discussions on up or down, thought it might be interesting to get opinions on what you folks do when you're out on the water, too far to get home in time, and a big electrical storm comes flashing toward you.

We drop antenna (as though that little eight-footer could attract a big bolt, head into any old cove (preferably with high tree-covered hills nearby, but not too close), drop hook, lift engines (to get those conductors out of the drink, as though that inch of freeboard really matters) and do a little praying and maybe nipping at the 'Ol Hooch. If there are other boats anchored nearby, we follow the advice of an 'ol salt mentor, who sagely said, "in an electrical storm, always anchor near (but not too close) to a sailboat with a tall mast."

We have not too fond memories of an electrical storm in the Louisiana bayous, where our cabin roof was the tallest thing for 1,000 sq. miles, and the lightning was so thick that night that it never got dark in the cabin -- we lay in the V-berth holding hands and figured if it was our time, we'd go out with a flash together.

You're spot on, Tom -- on a desert island, I want an internet connection to these folks --

flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twice on the Whaler I have come in by tapping on the wheel because there was so much electricity in the air it would shock me to grasp it. Whalers are grounded with a big metal plate in the transom, and if a storm is nearby you can hear electricity being conducted up the antenna (you want it up -- otherwise you're the tallest thing).

Perhaps the factory dude can chime in here as to whether CD's have a grounding plate with everything bonded to it or not.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz -- that's what it sounds like discharging up the antenna on a Whaler.
Otter-BelleHavenMarina

City/Region: Alexandria
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I have been overly confident, but I had the impression that a pilothouse craft like the C-Dory is excellent protection. I've read that even a bimini top can serve to channel a strike and protect those beneath it. In other words, I've sailed along fat, dumb and happy inside the C-Dory when I've encountered occasional thunderstorms. I fear that I am about to be 'educated' by C-Brats with better understanding of a lightning, water, and small boat cocktail....
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, I've been in some pretty horrendous storms on my sailboat many years ago. Nothing like a tall mast. We hung grounding wires from the fixed stays into the water. Had several strikes but no damage. Also saw lots of "St Elmo's Fire" at sea on Navy ships, recall a seaman being chased across the deck and down an exterior ladder by a big glowing ball. He was speechless for quite awhile (and probably had to change his skivvies).

I think you're OK as long as you can say "What was that??"

Looking forward to next summer and another get together on the Potomac....

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: