The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Overuse of Plastic in Camperback?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marco422

City/Region: Salt Spring Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Gaiasika
Photos: Gaiasika
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Overuse of Plastic in Camperback? Reply with quote

The previous owner of my boat had a fully-enclosed camperback made. It has large windows to port, starboard and stern. The window plastic is wrapped around all the way, including between the windows where there is Sunbrella and behind the support poles. In other words it forms an interior liner behind the Sunbrella. It does not extend overhead.

The previous owner thought that made it easier to clean inside, but I have noticed deposits that look like salt behind the plastic and am concerned that the plastic prevents the canvas from drying out properly.

Any thoughts? Should I cut away the sections behind the Sunbrella?
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have large windows all the way around my camper but the clear plastic does not extend from one window to the other. I see no reason to not cut the extra away.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plastic was probably put in as a single sheet, then sewn around the openings and left in place for the sake of simplicity in assembly, but trapping salt between it and the Sunbrella will only attract moisture (the salt being hydroscopic), and result in increased mildew problems.

Without seeing the exact structural assembly, I'd suggest you either cut the excess out or cut openings in it to be able to wash out the salt accumulation.

Does the entire cover assembly depend in any way on the extra plastic for structural inetegrity?

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree that usually the Sunbrella does not have the clear vinyl behind it. Clear vinyl comes in rolls or sheets. The better quality is in finate sheets--such as 3 x 4 feet.

I don't think I would cut out vinyl if it were only several inches--if it was 6" apart, and the seams were good, then I would cut it out. I would wash the Sunbella well and try and flush out any salt.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree that usually the Sunbrella does not have the clear vinyl behind it. Clear vinyl comes in rolls or sheets. The better quality is in finate sheets--such as 3 x 4 feet.

I don't think I would cut out vinyl if it were only several inches--if it was 6" apart, and the seams were good, then I would cut it out. I would wash the Sunbella well and try and flush out any salt.
jhwilson

City/Region: Mitchell County
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Placid C
Photos: Placid C
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

Dr. Bob, this is somewhat off topic but perhaps indirectly related. I have noticed that you have very small side windows in the camperback on Thataway. Observing how you think, I am confident that there is a logical reason for this. My Placid C came with a King bimini with zippers for the side and back panels. Before ordering the panels I would like to ask for your thinking about window size? Any other advice? Thanks in advance.

Harper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: