The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Unusual voltmeter readings on the console
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Easy fix Reply with quote

Well I tested the port bat again today and no luck. As I began to remove it I discovered the wing nuts were loose. I tightened them down and she ran perfect...duh....well problem solved! Before heading out today I made sure the rest of them were good and snug.
Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah--you should have told us you use wing nuts! They are not the best solution, even though many of us use them. I have switched over to regular nuts with lock washers. If you use wing nuts, use vise grips to get them really tight. Nylox nuts are not the solution because heat may melt the nylon. You might also consider an non corrosive grease on the nuts.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
matt_unique

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Wing nuts Reply with quote

I used pliers to snug them all down. Lesson learned should I encounter the same behavior again.

When you turn the key and your gauges peg it means there is a short, in this case the short was right at the bat terminals. I had the right diagnosis but never thought to check the tightness of the terminals until I went to remove it.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Wing nuts Reply with quote

matt_unique wrote:
I used pliers to snug them all down. Lesson learned should I encounter the same behavior again.

When you turn the key and your gauges peg it means there is a short, in this case the short was right at the bat terminals. I had the right diagnosis but never thought to check the tightness of the terminals until I went to remove it.

Matt, wht do you mean when you say "short"? That usually means that something is leaking to ground, not a loose connection. Am I misunderstanding something?

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
matt_unique

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Wing nuts Reply with quote

Captains Cat wrote:
matt_unique wrote:

Matt, wht do you mean when you say "short"? That usually means that something is leaking to ground, not a loose connection. Am I misunderstanding something?

Charlie

Well the behavior was the same, turn key and gauges pegged full down. Perhaps one cable had enough contact while the other did not. I tested a few seconds later and this time I had the usual engine diagnostic alarm but no turnover, etc. all kinds of weird behavior. Once I snugged them down all was well.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without putting a volt meter on it we would not know for sure. But is is possible that there was some reversal of current flow with the open circuit. You probably were getting some current, but more resistance because of the loose connection. These need to be checked and cleaned reguarly--when you check the battery water if necessary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: