The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Trailer Hitch Installation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christopher-Robyn

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Christopher K.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Trailer Hitch Installation Reply with quote

I'm not sure this is the appropriate forum, but I need some help. I thought I was done with the installation of an OEM tow hitch on my wife's 2004 Lexus 330RX, but when I tested for voltage at the rear 4-pin connector, I got nothing. The dealer says since the vehicle did not come with a tow prep package, I need to install a new type electrical junction block assembly. I ordered one, but I have no idea where the original one is located, or what it takes to replace it. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Paul K
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer Hitch Installation Reply with quote

Christopher-Robyn wrote:
I'm not sure this is the appropriate forum, but I need some help. I thought I was done with the installation of an OEM tow hitch on my wife's 2004 Lexus 330RX, but when I tested for voltage at the rear 4-pin connector, I got nothing. The dealer says since the vehicle did not come with a tow prep package, I need to install a new type electrical junction block assembly. I ordered one, but I have no idea where the original one is located, or what it takes to replace it. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Paul K

I would go to U-Haul and have them install a wiring harness. They splice into your existing wires and it takes about 15 minutes.

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
Christopher-Robyn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt. Matt:
The dealer (Lexus of Roseville, CA) that I ordered the junction block from told me that the new block replaces the old one & has new circuitry required to provide for the trailer lights. Supposedly it just unplugs, but I'm not sure where to find it. They weren't sure. If push comes to shove, when the new part arrives, I'll see if U-Haul or a Lexus/Toyota service department mechanic will show me where it goes. I still have the entire rear cargo area dismantled in order to connect the trailer hitch wiring to the vehicle connector. Thanks!
Paul K
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that connector just tees into an existing connector, your kit should come with instructions like the link below. These are for a different model of Lexus, yours may be the same.

http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.com/doc/43405.pdf

Don and Brenda

City/Region: Camano Island, Wa
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: R-27 Tug
Photos: C-Quest
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on the U-Haul thing. I took my Pilot there, unfortunately the day I went only 1 person working so took about 3 hours, he charged me $35. By the way if that trailer has brakes you need a 5 pin flat, not the 4 pin. That 5th pin is the trailer brakes and is hooked up to your cars back up lights.
Christopher-Robyn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken:
I hope the part comes with instructions like you've shown, but according to the dealer, I don't think it will. The vehicle arrangement looks different from mine, but it's a great help. I bet the connect-up is the same. Hopefully when the part arrives, by comparison, I'll be able to locate the old one. I really appreciate all the help!
Paul K.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I cannot speak for the specific Lexus model, many vehicles have a separate fuse sysem for the trailer lights. It is very possible that the fuse was not installed if there was no hitch in place.

The 5th pin is to lock out the brakes when you back up (selenoid interupts the bake line, so no pressure from the surge brake cylinder to wheel cylinders). It is not necessary, because you can put a pin through the trailer tongue behind the surge hitch, or a C clamp, or Chain vise grips to keep the surge brakes from activating when backing--just be sure that they work when going forward.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Christopher-Robyn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob:
Thanks. That was one of the things I checked when I had no readings at the connector. There is a 30 amp fuse installed for the tow hitch circuit. It was there & was good.
Paul K
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: