The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Gel Coat Repair (S)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hank schneider

City/Region: blowing rock
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Ditch Witch
Photos: Ditch Witch
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Gel Coat Repair (S) Reply with quote

Hi Folks
Removed my port swim platform to mount my kicker. In the process it pulled a credit card piece of the surface off - Obviously needs to be repaired. Have pictures but couldn't figure how to get them up. Does someone make a repair kit?

Also I scratched the side on something metal and it gouged the blue paint in several spots (1/8" X 5"). What to fill with and can I get some of the blue paint C-dory uses ?
Thanks
Hank[/quote][/url]
1TUBERIDER

City/Region: Crescent City
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look under you helm floor. My gel coat colors for repair were placed their by the factory. If your lucky you will find them and then the matching color will be easy.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Gel Coat Repair (S) Reply with quote

hank schneider wrote:
Hi Folks
Removed my port swim platform to mount my kicker. In the process it pulled a credit card piece of the surface off - Obviously needs to be repaired. Have pictures but couldn't figure how to get them up. Does someone make a repair kit?

Also I scratched the side on something metal and it gouged the blue paint in several spots (1/8" X 5"). What to fill with and can I get some of the blue paint C-dory uses ?
Thanks
Hank

Hank-

You can get a color matched gel coat kit from the C-Dory factory. Give them a call.

The credit-card sized patch may require filling in with fiberglass filler such as MarineTex before restoring the gel coat.

Gel coat repair is a tricky art. I'd suggest you read quite a bit before starting the project. Start HERE

Keep a list of do's and don'ts, and don't be afraid to ask questions that remain back here.

Good Luck!

Joe.Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note of caution--Marine Tex is an epoxy--and gel coat does not stick as well to epoxies as to polyesters. There are bonding coats to tie epoxy and gel coat together--and some have success putting gel coat over epoxy. I would fill with polyester, maybe some glass fibers if it is deep. DO NOT use "Bondo"--it is not made for marine use. There are other additatives you can add to polyester resin to increase density (such as cabosil (fumed silica)). After it is sanded perfectly smooth--with 600 wet and dry, then put on the gel coat. Best sprayed on with a Preval sprayer, but can be brushed. There are several ways to get it to set, incuding using waxed gel coat, or spraying with PVA after it has been applied. There are some good interent sites on this (I am traveling and don't have them book marked).

The dark stripe is not paint--it is gel coat, and should be re gelcoated. If C Dory will not give you the gel coat, Spectrum color can provide it in the proper shade.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: