The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bimini Top

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toyman

City/Region: Lake Livingston
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Fan-C-Dory
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Bimini Top Reply with quote

What size after market, ready made, off the shelf bimini is needed for a 25' ? I'm working on the purchase of a 25', it has no stern cover and I don't want to wait buy, or wait for a full enclosure yet. Not being near a boat I have no idea what to buy.

Thanks,

In East Texas
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a Taylor Bimini from West Marine on my 22 and now on my TC255. I like them. I think the 91-97" wide, 8' long and 54" high will fit fine. Hopefully someone with a 25 will chime in with the real measurements, but I think this will fit.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Lucky Day

City/Region: Churchton
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lucky Day
Photos: Lucky Day
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave W. -- thank you for posting the question. I too have been thinking about a Taylor bimini for my boat and would love to see a response from a C-Brat who has experience with one on a CD-25.
fisherkb

City/Region: Austin
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Slack Tide
Photos: C-Hunt
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie,

I like the look of your bimini on your 22. Do know the measurements or model number for the one you used? I have a 1989 22' cruiser

regards,

Karl
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl, I'll look back and see if I can find the receipt. Don't have the boat any more. I'm sure it was the high one (54") and 8' long. Just measure the distance between the sides about mid way between the after end of the cabin and the beginning of the motor well. The tops give you 6" of slide leway.

Charlie
toyman

City/Region: Lake Livingston
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Fan-C-Dory
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was the size I was guessing, but wasn't to confident of the height. Hope some of the 25'er pop in.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can measure my 25 next week. I would suggest a custom built top--in the long run it will be better. SS tubing lasts much better than aluminum tubing. You want to get Sunbrella, and can then add sides or net later. Plus if designed correctly, it can be attatched to the back of the cabin house, or left free standing, without the annoying straps, which come with many of the catalogue tops.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Hayesie Daze

State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Hayesie Daze
Photos: Hayesie Daze
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie,

Just curious how these Taylor Bimini tops have held up for you? Your photos show you moving at a pretty good clip with it up. While it not be a Sunbrella custom back, the $3000 price difference looks like it will be a good alternative for me right now...well for the boss at least. Thanks

Byron
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toyman wrote:
That was the size I was guessing, but wasn't to confident of the height. Hope some of the 25'er pop in.

Definitly the higher height or the door won't clear properly. You could even put snaps on the leading edge and fasten it to the cabin top in a few places.

As for durability, we used it for three seasons on the 22 and it was still fine when we sold Captain's Choice. On that boat I didn't have the stand offs that hold the folded top in a raised position because the grill didn't stay mounted all the time. On the TC, because we have a grill permanantly mounted on the back rail, I have the stand offs that hold the top when not being used and the cover stays on it.

The cover is a big key to making it last longer. Bob is correct in that the SS tubing would be nicer and last longer but at $3K a pop, you could buy 5 of these for the price of one custom made one. You can clean up the aluminum pretty well and if you don't abuse it, it'll last a long time.

We did use it sometimes at high speeds but we found since we weren't out in the cockpit at those speeds, it usually was stowed. If the wind gets under it, it can bend up pretty badly.

Charlie
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure where Charlie is shopping, but our full camper canvas, custom built--and it will be good for 10 to 11 years--cost $3600. This includes SeaMark--fully waterproof Sunbrella, and heavy SS fittings, fully self supporting--first photo is with the front element off, which zips open for access into the cockpit.
Second photo is full canvas (small side windows by choice--large aft clear vinyl)

Our feeling that in the long run that the custom gives a better product for about equal price over the years.

Captains Cat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bob, the $3K figure didn't come from me but from Byron. I don't have a clue as to what the SS ones cost, only that it't more. I do a lot of shopping at WM and any other internet store that has good prices. We're out in the boonies here (The nearest WMart is 20 miles away), WM a lot farther.

Charlie
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad--I should have address that to Byron--sorry. I don't buy Bimini's at West or WalMart--not quite as far in the boonies--but sometimes it seems like it!

Looking at the Taylor Made site, they have 7/8 Aluminum tubing, 3 bows, with plastic fittings and straps for support--no Sunbrella--and the cost for Tom Cat size would be about $500. That seems to be what West Marine carries.

A full camper back adds a lot to the boat--and we keep our sides on year around. In the summer, some days the sides come off, but at night, it keeps the bugs away--and is still a another full room.

Certainly SS frame costs a few dollars more than Aluminum, but a good SS frame is good for the life of the boat. This includes SS fittings, which will not fail, as sometimes the plastic fittings do. The major cost in a camper back is the fitting of the sides, all of the zippers, windows etc--all labor costs. It makes no difference it the base is aluminum or SS frame. Same with sewing--no difference if cheaper material or Sunbrella SeaMark. So a few dollars more for materials is not much in the long run.

If you just want a sun shade, and are not going to use it full time, then the cheaper aluminum and other cloth will work fine.
Lucky Day

City/Region: Churchton
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Lucky Day
Photos: Lucky Day
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindful of all the advantages to a setup like the one on Dr. Bob's and many other C-Brats boats, in some circumstances a budget bimini makes for the best option. Any CD-25 owners with a Taylor bimini that can comment on the size top they installed -- and how it has been to live with?
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Certainly SS frame costs a few dollars more than Aluminum, but a good SS frame is good for the life of the boat. This includes SS fittings, which will not fail, as sometimes the plastic fittings do.

If you just want a sun shade, and are not going to use it full time, then the cheaper aluminum and other cloth will work fine.

You are correct about the fittings on the aluminum frame! We've had several fail (cracking) but a call to Taylor gets us new ones at no cost within a day or two.... They're pretty good about customer service..

Charlie
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bimini which came with my Century is Sunbrella, but has 7/8" anodized aluminum tubing, the end fittings are SS and swaged in place. There are no plastic fittings, except the "keepers" to hold the support tubes when it is pulled up. Even though this boat had fallen 30 feet in when the dry stack blew down, there was no damage to the Bimnii (boat landed on its bottom). I acquired the boat a salvage auction.

In this specific boat, the Bimini is rolled up and in the boot 95 % of the time---only open on hot days, or if I am running in the rain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: