Lewmar V700 or V700G

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjhantzis

City/Region: Barters Island
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Catleen
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Lewmar V700 or V700G Reply with quote

Cruising around the internet I've noticed two models of Lewmar's V700 for sale. The Lewmar site says the V700G is sold only in America and handles 7mm rode and chain. This, I assume, is the correct model for 1/4" Chain and 1/2" Rode.

Any comments?
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right, but to be absolutely sure, call the Lewmar Technical Rep listed on their website and ask THE SOURCE directly, then report back to us here so we'll all know.

The diffeence between the two is probably only the combination gypsy, which can be sized for European DIN / metric chain and rope, or American / English measuring system chain and rope.

And its even more complicated than that, because all 1/4" chain is not created the same, there being a wide variety of chain grades and types of chain made from 1/4" wire stock, with various metal alloys, coatings, and chain link dimensions.

Most windlasses sold in this country for our size boats use 1/4" High Test GS-40 (or Grade 40 High Test) chain, although the larger windlasses can use 5/16, 3/8, or 7/16 chain of the same grade. This chain is made of very strong steel and heavily coated by hot dipping it in molten zinc.

There are also BBB and Proof Coil grades of chain, as well as many others, but most windlasses are not designed for use with these. They are much weaker than the GS-40 chain, about 1/2 as strong, and not nearly as well galvanized or protected, and their link dimensions are different.

Most windlass manufacturers make several gypsies for each windlass they produce, to accommodate the chain an rope used in he various markets their products are sold in.

Sometimes a person will buy a windlass for cheap with the "wrong" gypsy on it, thinking they can simply change the gypsy over eassily, then the fun begins when they find out the replacement gypsy costs nearly half as much as a new windlass outright(!)

Hope this explains the sitution a bit!

Cheers!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lewmar web site shows that this gypsy can handle "1/4" G4 or BBB, 7mm DIN 766"--the G4 is ACCO G 40 high test chain.

High Test will have "G4" stamped on the link, BBB will have "BBB" stamped on the link, and Proof coil will have TC3 stamped on the link. The G4 is 14.2 links per foot and the BBB is 14 links per foot. TC3 is only 10 links per foot--and will not work on this gypsy.

ACCO claims that all of their chain is hot dipped. I have never seen any difference between ACCO G4 and BBB as far as galvanizing. However, when I have had chain re-galvanized the plating of zinc has been much thicker than original. The reason why is that the first plating, the chain is run over wheels to cool. the re-galvanizing, the chain is in a basket, which is then pulled out, and the chain pulled to cool. The latter takes less galvanizing off the chain. However I have been told that over time the heat of multiple galvanizing may decrease the strength of G 4 chain.

1/4" G4 is plenty of strength for any of our C Dories.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
sjhantzis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, it looks like the V700 7mm (P#6670011107-302) is the proper pick. I'm using a Lewmar rode and chain (G4) (P#69000332) that I'm told will work with the windlass.

Lewmar is not an easy company to get in touch with so should anyone else need their number, it's 800-362-7212.

Will report back after installation.
helm

City/Region: Medford
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Chack Chack
Photos: Chack Chack
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not buy the Lewmar V1 from boatersland for $539?
Eric
sjhantzis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you installed one to replace a Simpson Lawrence 600? Do they fit with a minimum of additional cutting?
The V700 was $619.

Best,

SJH
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: