The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Proper Drain Plug Techniques...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

best drain plug out story... I once had a 12 ft boat with a 25hp motor that the son and i would use to fish all the lakes in the sierras. one day when james was about 6 or so we launched at sly park lake in pollock pines. james liked to be the big man and hold the bow rope for me while i backed the boat in and floated it off the trailer and then parked the truck. well one day as i am walking back to the ramp with arms full of gear to put in the boat i notice the old ramp fishing crew snickering and giggling and avoiding looking at me. it was then that i noticed my son trying to play with ducks on one side of the dock as my water logged 12 fter settled to the bottom of the ramp on the other side of the same dock. when i asked james were my boat was you could not hear his gasp of surprise over the laughter of the old guys as the fell out of their fishing chairs.
KenMcC

State or Province: NM
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Vivien C
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Fishtales Roger. Insert from the outside, with the cam handle in the up position.

While at rest, the greater water pressure is from the outside in, hence the natural tendency for the water to hold the plug in place. While moving, the up position of the cam handle prevents the slip stream from loosening the plug.

I always run my finger around the drain hole to be sure it is free of grit, and when I buy new plugs, I seal them with silicone sealer (the center screw & nut), since I have found a couple of them that have leaked at the cam screw.

An outfit called Lovett Pumps used to make a gizmo called a Lovett Bailer, which was a brass fixture that fit through the hull to the bottom, and would set up a venturi at speed to drain the cockpit. It had an anti-fill ball valve, which didn't work real well, but the thing sure was effective in draining the cockpit while under way. Just a simple "open" or "close" petcock. I'd love to put one in the aft bilge drain recession, but have not been able to find one for years. If anybody knows of anything similar, please advise.

Ken
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Self bailers are very common small sailboat parts. Not sure about the exact model you saw before. Just a simple self sealing drain plug will get rid of cockpit water on plane. One was listed as original equipment for my boat, but I've never seen it.

For lots of water small racing sailboats use transom flaps held shut by shock cord tied to a cleat. After dumping the boat -- if you don't capsize a few times a season you're not sailing fast enough -- get her moving and just flip the cord off the cleat and the water comes out very fast. These are rarely completely watertight at anchor, but sailboat transoms are out of the water at anchor due to their hull shapes.

-- Chuck
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the plug installed from the inside and can still get to it easily. A few months ago I really needed to do a thorough cleaning of the cockpit so while I was in the water next to the buoy I tie up to I took out the mats and sloshed them in the water to clean them and threw everything into the dingy. Then with the only thing left in the cockpit being a brush and bucket I went out into the channel and (no traffic was in the area) I put the boat up onto a plane at about 12MPH and in a constant turn. Took out the plug and took the brush and multiple buckets of water to the cockpit. Everything gets sucked out the drain hole. Put back the plug and all is clean again. Of course there probably were some people on shore that were wondering what the heck I was doing. But it works great. A lot more fun than jacking up the trailer tongue in the driveway to get the stern down to drain. Any excuse to get the boat out on the water. Hey honey got to go out and clean the boat out.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Otter-BelleHavenMarina

City/Region: Alexandria
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the way you think!
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

So has everyone launched once without the plug? Its kind of an initiation.

I put the plug in from the inside.

At the Colorado river, a few summers ago, jet skiers were pulling the outside plug from speed boats that were docked.

Thats enough reason for me!!

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
shogimac

City/Region: Klawock
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: SISU
Photos: Tonie O
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Drain Plug Reply with quote

Always from the inside. We upgraded to the floorboards so that we can rinse the cockpit by pulling the plug while running. After a good fishing day we rinse the cockpit with buckets of water to let the scales and stuff drain out of the boat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: