The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Proper Drain Plug Techniques...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AK Angler

City/Region: South Central
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Rod Holder
Photos: Rod Holder
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Proper Drain Plug Techniques... Reply with quote

A friend and I were discussing my fuel tank situation when a question about the drain plug (in the transom... not the fuel tank) came up. I don't think I've ever heard any opinions about it so I thought I'd ask here.

Question How is the drain plug supposed to be inserted?
    *From the outside,
    *From the inside,
    *Or, it doesn't matter, as long as you put it in... Mr. Green

I ask because, with my tank configuration the way it is/was, I gave up on putting the plug in on the inside and started putting it in from the outside. Does it matter? Neutral

89CD16A- The Navicula has been sold...
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod, the one thing I would be concerned about is if the plug started to leak and needed to be tightened it would be a lot harder to do from the outside.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no way you can pull the plug out accidently or have it leak if it's properly seated. In fact, it fits so well that sometimes it takes a fair bit of wrestling with it to get it out to drain the boat when it on the trailer. Putting it in down between the tanks and behind the bilge pump (and 2nd battery in my case) is a job for a two foot 5 inch contortionist of which I am not!

If you like putting the plug in on the inside, perhaps you'd like to put an inspection port in the wall behind the porti-poti and storing a neatly folded 57 piece wardrobe through the 4 inch opening!

I like complicated and challenging projects, and come up with my share of Rube Goldberg designs and Wylie Coyote schemes, but the inside plug insertion seems unnecessarily difficult from the get-go. My $.02 for free and just for fun! Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:17 am    Post subject: Bilge Plugged from Outside... Reply with quote

I have always inserted the bilge plug from the outside....

Come to think of it, Naknek is the only boat I've owned (other than a skiff) where putting the bilge plug in from the Inside was even an option. In most others (including our current B/W Montauk) you can't even reach the bilge hole from the inside. With that in mind, doing it from the outside is clearly "ok."

As for leaking - true, if the plug is put in from the outside it would be impossible to adjust it. Then again, I'm not sure I'd want to mess around with the plug from the Inside either while the boat is in the water!

I think an important item is to make sure the bilge plug is clean and the drain hole is clean so the plug can "seat" properly. If the plug or drain hole has become fouled with oil, dirt, fish slime, or whatever, the plug could slide out more easily. I've never known that to happen, but it seems logical.

Last, but not least, make sure the plug fits the drain hole. With the handle-type plug, adjust the nut on the end so the plug fits properly when the handle is cammed into position. I prefer the simple type that twists into position - easier to feel the tension you've created.

Casey
C-Dory Naknek
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our drain plug is always installed from the inside.

If it "falls out" it'll still be in the boat somewhere.

-- Chuck
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always install the plug from the outside and put the cam handle in the up position. I also have a spare plug in the cabin to replace the old one as needed or emergencies.
KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my other trailerables were I/O type and installing from the inside wasn't an option. After an unfortunate "incident" with a cam expansion type plug and some floating trash (long wet EXPENSIVE story) I've always thrown cam lever plugs away and replaced them with the screw expansion type. First thing I noticed about the C-22 is that it was possible to insert the plug from the inside.

I'll probably keep my factory furnished cam plug somewhere handy near the stern just in case I get a major senior moment while launching, but otherwise the hole will get plugged doggy style. Moon

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inside, with a spare under the helm foot rest. Also agree on the screw vs. lever type - Bass Pro sells a nice stainless one cheap.

Why inside? Some people misplace things - when you remove it from the inside, you just drop it next to the bilge pump, and you know where it is when you go to put it back in. And if that happens to be after the boat's already in the water, well...it's nice to be able to come up with it quickly.

So I've heard. No personal experience in this area. Really. Shocked

Jon - CLou

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Lou
Photos: C-Lou and Pee Wee
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the stainless steel T-handle type and I install them on the outside. I've used both the tee and the lever type and the tee style seems to seal better. I've never had a problem using the tee type but always carry 2 extra plugs in the motor well just in case. If you're on the water for long periods of time, you can always double plug it (inside and outside) for a little peace of mind.
True Story

City/Region: Snoqualmie
Vessel Name: True Story
Photos: True Story
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good question. I should have had enough courage to ask the question two years ago. I've spent plenty of time thinking about this one (particularily when trying to go to sleep on the boat) and agree with Jon's approach.

T-handle plug tightly inserted from the outside and stored when not in use, in the motor well along with a spare. I also keep a spare stored inside, next to the bilge pump just in case. I don't care for the lever action plug due to my tendency to over tighten which results in bending the cam portion of the lever. I used to insert plug from the inside thinking that a visual check on occasion would be nice but then it dawned on me that several hundred gallons of water in the cockpit would be a sufficient indicator to put life vest on.
wilbe asea

City/Region: Kenai
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Sunset Ride
Photos: Sunset Ride
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always put mine on the inside, there is not much pressure trying to force it out when there is only a foot of water above it (8.34 X 1 x .052=.43 psi). I realize that would still be a lot of water coming in if the plug slipped out of the hole, but reasonable care should eliminate that possibility.

I mainly like to have on the inside so I can drain water from the cockpit when I am up on step (someone else at the helm of course), as the bilge pump is the one the factory installed, the digital switcher or whatever that only works if totally submerged. I use another pump, small, to pump water into the boat when I need to remove fish slime or some other stuff. Put some water in a bucket or the lazarette, then wash away as we cruise along.
Otter-BelleHavenMarina

City/Region: Alexandria
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to insert plug on outside until one debris-filled day on the Potomac I noticed a whole lot of water under my feet. Plug probably got twisted and caught on stick and popped out. Was glad to have spare. Now I put it in from the inside and still keep a spare on board.
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilbe asea wrote:

I mainly like to have on the inside so I can drain water from the cockpit when I am up on step (someone else at the helm of course)

I'm with you "wilbe asea".....for the same reason I'm all for "innie" instead of "outie".

C-Brat #16
Lynn Marie

City/Region: Redmond
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1997
Photos: Lynn Marie
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an insider too. My trick since getting old and forgetful is to hang my handle type plug from a snap ring which I leave clipped on the tightening portion of my stern strap.

When I launch the boat and take off the strap I see and install the transom plug when I loosen the strap. The reverse is true for pulling the boat. When I put the strap on and get ready to tighten it down I see the empty snap which reminds me to remove the plug so the boat doesn't fill with rain, etc.

The simple reminders have always worked and I always know where to find the plug, it's right place for the place the boats in.

Tim

Mr. Fisherman

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inside for me.
I have a tendency to fill the boat with fish blood and slime. Pulling the plug when on step allows me to wash out the deck in a timely fashion, especially when crabbing in the spring when all of the crab smolt are present. I keep a spare handy and always (usually) stick my finger in the drain hole to check that it is in place before launching.

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: