The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

water heater for C 22 cruiser
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, regarding the Instamatic water heater installation:

Is the output plumbing limited to a special dispenser? Or does it have a normal threaded output, to which one can plumb a number of faucets/outlets? Would that interfere with the unit operation? What was the problem with the shower faucets, since they tee right off the hot water supply line?

Boris
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One aspect of the hot shower that I think has been missing in this discussion - virtually all marinas worthy of the name have a fine enclosed head and delightful hot shower with almost infinite hot water.

It isn't a choice of showering in the cockpit while in a marina and "hoping the neighbors aren't watching." In a marina one simply walks to a fine enclosed shower. The solar shower (or hot water from the stove) is for use 'in the outback' anchoring.

Each individual (or couple) chooses what they enjoy or believe they 'require.' I am not trying to convince others who are considering adding a hot water system to their boat that they are wrong. Quite the contrary - for them it may be absolutely right. I am merely suggesting that there are alternatives and that for some a simpler way might serve the same purpose.

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Bill, my friend. I sure didn't mean to imply that you are suggesting that your way is the only way. Just like I would never say ours is the way to go. You two are my heroes. When I considered buying a C-Dory, you wrote to me and offered encouragement. When I waffled about buying a powercruiser, I reminded myself, "If Bill and El can do it, we can do it." Wink But, as anyone who has ever met you would testify, you two are unique. You told me you take three outfits... I didn't tell that part to Joan. Cool We don't travel light, but we do travel comfortably. We anchor out at least as often as we stay in marinas. Sometimes we have a cove all to ourselves; sometimes not. And you must stay in some swankier marinas than we have experienced... yes, many have decent showers and potties; some don't. If there's a decent shower at the marina, that's my first choice. I still laugh when I think about Coral Bay Marina (sounds nice, huh?) when we were cruising with Brent and Dixie... I asked her how the shower looked and her reply, "Mexico." We both knew what she meant. Mr. Green You spent a month at Bridge Bay Marina at Yellowstone... nice facility, except the lack of showers. And don't forget the "3 minute" showers at Ganges (they are apparently metric minutes, which equate to: just enough time to get lathered up before the water shuts off).

I have no aversion to a porta-potty. We've had them on other boats. Most of those boats have had a separate room in which to use them. Wink Our little SunCat catboat was quite small... you could sit on the porta-pot and still see out the companionway! Laughing And we've done solar showers, painted bug sprayers, a Zodi propane water heater... I've showered out on the net of our trimaran and in the cockpit of other boats (with some towels strategically placed)... if the "neighbors" got a scare, it's their own fault for looking!

You have my admiration on that "less can be more" stuff, because if you hadn't told me about that 4 years ago, we may not be where we are now. But, I've seen with boats and RVs that less can also be less comfortable... I'm just having fun pointing out an alternate view. You two are the king and queen here, I am just the court jester. Mr. Green Enough of this shower/potty stuff, let's get to the really important cruising question:

TV: remote or do you get up to change the channel? Laughing Laughing

Best wishes,
Jim

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love a good shower in a nice marina but I'm starting to like anchoring out a lot better. And when I do I need a shower. I have "done with a lot less", think 30 days in the field with one change of uniform laying in the swamp or the desert with an hundred of my friends and guns, and it sucks. I bought a boat because I can't lie on the ground in a tent any more, hurt my hips. I would love to have a way to heat water without the sun, as if we had one around here, on a "on demand basic" in the 22. I don’t care if I have to shower on the back deck as long as it’s hot water. I have had my share of lake baths in cold clear water in the sierras and you can keep those. My goal is to not have to go a marina at all, except for ice cream.
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on!
El and Bill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooh - ice cream. Now you're talking. Toughest thing about being required to change my eating habits ("change, or face my knife!"-cardiologist) was giving up ice cream. BUT, now, there's a saturated fat, cholesterol-free ice cream by Breyers. HOORAY!! - (however, most stores walkable from the dock don't carry it)

Tom - we avoid marinas as much as possible also - And, like you, have spent our 'dues' sleeping on the ground - for us, the last lengthy time, was 6 1/2 months and carrying everything we needed on our backs) - however, also like you, we enjoy anchoring out, and, if solar isn't possible, the stove makes good hot water. We don't shower in cold water either - (not if we can help it).

Jim - What's a TV? Smile
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El and Bill wrote:
Ooooh - ice cream. Now you're talking...

Jim - What's a TV? Smile

Joan just posed a question to me... those of us who travel a lot and still want on-line capability have computers and wireless broadband cards. We navigate with chartplotters, radar, and autopilots. Keep in touch when we are out of cell range with SPOT devices. All things that make the cruising more comfortable. Where does one draw the line on what is "necessary"? Wink

Fridge? Satellite radio? TV? Water heater? Jacuzzi tub? Yeah, I threw that last one in to see if anyone was paying attention. That's the one thing that makes me anxious to come back home. Hmmmm, I wonder if we could... no, probably not. Laughing

Best wishes,
Jim

PS With the fridge, you get a little bitty freezer compartment... and one of those Wells Blue Bunny single serving ice cream containers will fit in there. Thumbs Up
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will those norcolds or waeco's actually freeze ice cream?
ppriest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like there's a few folks out there who would like to defy basic physics which predicts a temperature rise of less than 2 degrees C (3.5 F if you prefer) from a true power input of 750W at 1.5 GPM (the lowest shower head flow I could find on the Web).
7 - 10KW in would be more workable... perhaps a diesel generator on a small barge?

Paul Priest
Sequim
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloyds, my Norcold Chest unit, will freeze ice cream. It will also freeze fish, and keep them frozen for a month (traveling from Alaska to Florida).

The problem I had with the Insta Hot water heater is that the tank would not hold any pressure--not even 2 PSI. It had to use the fixtures which cuts the water off on the flow into the tank.

The fittings are standard Pipe threads and no problem adapting to these to the shower etc. Having two units would not do the job.

On the Tom Cat we used the shower in the boat--because we have the EU 2000 generator, and do anchor out most of the time. On the C Dory 25 we tend to go to a marina every 3rd day. Sponge bath between. Although the heads are approximately the same size in the two boats, the head room is different (less in the 25, because of the raised floor for the shower drain).

Some marinas you can just come in for a few hours, and pay to use the shower and that is what we did on some occasions. Payment by the minute for showers is the norm in the PNW. But there are also some showers which are so moldy that we will just not set foot in them.--not many, but those that are, are real pits!

There is another option, and that is to find a tank, which will take the pressure and put a 750 watt heater element in it, and put insullation around the tank. We might take that course if we keep the 25.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lloyds wrote:
Will those norcolds or waeco's actually freeze ice cream?

My Waeco has not trouble freezing ice cream or meats.

DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
Ah, Bill, my friend. don't forget the "3 minute" showers at Ganges (they are apparently metric minutes, which equate to: just enough time to get lathered up before the water shuts off).
Jim

Ah, Jim, my friend. Carol and I found that the plus factor of the Ganges showers was that they were large enough for the two of us to shower together. Something that can't be done even in the "rain room" of a 25' C-Dory. However, two can shower in the cockpit of a 22' with a solar shower...... Wink

You know the old saying....."The couple that bathes together stays together".... Smile .

C-Brat #16
El and Bill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the Ganges shower - right you are, Dave.

And, to broaden the discussion: drawing a line between what's necessary to add to a basic boat and what's extra. Two categories, we think most would agree on. Necessary is equipment 'required' for safety: chartplotter (or equivalent), VHF radio, depth sounder.

Everything else ie Fridge, Satellite radio, TV, Water heater, Jacuzzi tub (see we were paying attention, Jim Laughing ) is up to the discretion of the owner. Including microwave, blow dryer, electric blanket, fireplace, freezer, dishwasher, electric kettle, gym set etc etc.

Now the final exam: in the picture below, of the harbor in Montreal, can you spot the C-Dory? (and can you find the jacuzzi? CoolSmile )

DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El and Bill wrote:

Now the final exam: in the picture below, of the harbor in Montreal, can you spot the C-Dory? (and can you find the jacuzzi? CoolSmile )

Yep, and I'll still take the C-Dory.....hmmm, wonder how much the slip fees were to park that jacuzzi there?
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has got to be one of the best threads ever. As has been said before I think one of the things that's really appealing about the C-Dory especially the 22 is it's somewhat a blank canvas and can be customized to the individual's needs or things he thinks he needs. Bill and E's minimalistics approach sparked me to try a sun shower in the beginning but I found they were cumbersome and the little pressure from the gravity feed didn't suit my needs. Next I read from Jim about the garden sprayer and it's exactly what I needed, works great for me, all along thinking a water heater would be a great addition. After reading this thread I'm convinced it would be practically useless for me. On the other hand reading about Thataway Bob's freezer install really got my attention and it's been one of the best additions I've made. On my recent 10 day trip I never once had to stop for supplies or ice. Now when Warren and some others start talking about some of the electronic and computer things I must have that deer in the headlight look while staring at the computer screen trying to read what sometimes appears to be a foreign language but little by little lights come on and I'm learning. Anyway just wanted to say thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: