The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

water heater for C 22 cruiser
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: water heater for C 22 cruiser Reply with quote

Has anyone added a water heater to the 22 cruiser?
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - we have a dandy 5 gallon solar 'shower' - pick up inexpensively at any sporting goods store - and there's all the hot water we need. If we need less, or it's too cloudy or cold, we boil up water on the stove.
Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

City/Region: Port Orchard
State or Province: WA
Photos: Kitsap Marina
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 23 venture comes with an Insta Hot hot water unit that is mounted under the sink. Takes up little space.

On a 22 you would need to upgrade to a pressure water system, and two a two handle faucet arrangement.

360-895-2193
(888) 293-7991
jlsparks

City/Region: Baldwin WI.
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Dutch Treat
Photos: Dutch Treat
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added the instant Hot as well, I installed a new two knob facuet as well. I run it off either the inverter 2500 Watt or the generator and the wife loves it. Nice 160 degree water but can go as high as 200. Adding just a little cold with the hot works great.
Jim
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 1/2 gallon plastic garden sprayer painted flat black works great.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to put an Insta Hot water heater on the C Dory 25 last year. The tank was not suitable to any pressure in the tank. Basically you have to use their valve system, which cuts off water to the tank--instead of at the faucet. It is designed as a flow through system, where you can only use the faucet at the sink--and not set it up for shower use.

I would love to know how you set up the tank to allow pressure on the tank and flow through the shower mixing valve.

Other tanks use too much power--often 220 volts and 20 amps.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love some kind of permanently installable instant hot water system that is heated by propane rather than electricity...I would not switch to the Insta Hot even if it fit in the CD25 as only a marginal benefit compared to the factory installed hot water system, which heats up in about 40 minutes and stores 6 gallons of hot water for hours. I guess I would reclaim some storage space, but not enough benefit there to switch...most of the time we just heat some water for dishes on the Coleman anyway...

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

lloyds

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your comments. I have never heard of Instaheat so I will check into that. Seems like if I bought new on a special order I could get one installed at the factory. I think the admiral will accept the notion of not having the $25,000 potti but I know she really wants the hot water. We both have the onset of arthritis in our hands and a little hot water in the morning really makes a difference.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jim what type of heater is it? brand and model?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to install the Insinkerator "instant Hot"-which is small and 750 watts (6.25 amps) and will run on a 1000 watt inverter or on a EU 1000 Honda generator. As Pat says, it does take considerably less room than the 6 gallon water heater--and there was signifcantly less weight. I have looked at other small instant heaters, but they used more power and would not run on the EU 1000. I wished it had worked out--and perhaps there is some way that it can, but I could not get it to work with the shower--only as an instant hot water source.

http://www.insinkerator.com/product/product.php?id=45&template=hwd i
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, why not install 2 of the on-demand units? I don't know what they cost, but would it be feasible to do so?

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe what is needed is to make the small amount of water from the Insinkerator "instant Hot" unit go further.

Could a high(er) pressure pump be installed in line after the heater and a shower head be used that would use smaller, finer jets that would make more efficient use of the water available? The hot and the cold would have to be blended together with a valve before the higher pressure pump, of course.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

City/Region: Port Orchard
Photos: Kitsap Marina
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lloyds wrote:
Thank you everyone for your comments. I have never heard of Instaheat so I will check into that. Seems like if I bought new on a special order I could get one installed at the factory. I think the admiral will accept the notion of not having the $25,000 potti but I know she really wants the hot water. We both have the onset of arthritis in our hands and a little hot water in the morning really makes a difference.

Keep in mind that the system requires 110V- so you have to be plugged into the dock.

I don't think the factory would add the system- they are trying to be a production line and custom installs slow them down, but it could certainly be done by a local dealer.

Or get the 23 Venture and it s standard.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lloyds wrote:

Like Bill and El, we also frequently use a solar shower bag... but the bag sits on top of the cabin and the hose is routed through the window of our ENCLOSED head. Wink It certainly conserves on water usage, but the solar shower doesn't help much if you want to shower first thing in the morning. Cool Yep, you can heat water on the Wallas and put it in the bag. Just plain easier to simply turn on the hot water (from when you heated it last night or ran the generator to run the toaster oven... dang, I sure do enjoy my "like-home" creature comforts Mr. Green ) like you do at home. But the best part of having that hot water (no matter where it comes from) is that separate room to shower (or poop/pee) in. Sure, you can go out in the cockpit and hope the neighbors aren't watching. Or, you can sponge bathe in the cabin. But sometimes a shower is just necessary. When I'm at home, I don't go out on the back porch to shower; I don't shower in the living room. I have a separate room for all that stuff! Just like on my boat! Very Happy

Minimalistic? This IS minimalistic for us. Just a few years ago, we had two homes, two RVs, three cars, two motorcycles, two sailboats, and decent careers to pay for it all. We're doing fine with our downsizing (divide most of that stuff by 2 and eliminate the jobs), but I love my enclosed head! THERE, I've said it. Sure, the 25 is bigger, heavier, smoother riding, more storage, more elbow room, and just plain more... but I have that nifty little room. I can stand up in it, or sit down, as the need dictates. And at the turn of a handle, I can have hot water. Just like home. It's good; GOOD, I tell you! Don't think you need it??? Would you buy a house without a bathroom? Laughing

Um... maybe I got carried away. We pulled Wild Blue out of the water yesterday (withdrawal anxiety already), and we have a couple days of cleaning, waxing, and emptying to do. We're going to head out for a couple months in our RV. And it has a separate room just for pooping and showering. And a comfy queen bed. Satellite TV. Leather recliners. Even a fireplace. And did I mention HOT water? Wink

This is not a "my boat vs your boat" comparison... just one man's view on what makes the time on the boat more comfortable. It's the difference between enjoying and enduring. We all use our boats differently. I am EVER SO GRATEFUL that the Blonde looked at the 22 and the 25 and said, "That one," pointing at the 25. For those of you who find your boat perfect for the way you use it, pat yourself on your back, knowing that you made the right choice. My feeling: it isn't about how much you can do without, it's about what is "just enough" to be comfortable. Comfort = more time aboard.

Whew! Thanks, I feel better now. Wink

Best wishes,
Jim B.

lloyds

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually leaning toward the CD 25 for the longest time because of what Jim said but now I don't know. The "go with less, but go now" attitude is setting in. If I wait too long I don't know what will be left to go with. When the government gets done with me I might not be able to go at all. I have already had a paycut and furlough days and it is going to get a lot worse. If I get to go, I might have to do it in the 16, which wouldn't be all bad. If it wasn't for the beating I would take trying to sell our home I would be gone now. But I digress. I will examine those on demand systems and give it some thought. I was already planning on either being tied to a dock or running the EU2000 to heat water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: