View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcc272

City/Region: Long Island Sound
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Star
Photos: C-Star
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: V-Berth Storage Reply with quote

C-Daisy posted photos of the installation of hatches in the V-Berth on a CD22. The incremental storage is of extreme interest to us so I ordered hatches and today tackled the first part of the project. Here are some details in case anyone else is tempted by the photos in the C-Daisy sub album.

The hatch is a So-Pac Access Hatch SPA-30205 with 9 3/4" x 19 1/2" inside dimensions and 13 3/4" x 23 2/4" outside dimensions. I ordered hatches from Defender which stocks them.

Cutting out the top of the V-Berths is easy. Digging out the foam is a bit more of a production. Crow bar, chisel and putty knife are good tools along with a long Sawzall blade in a handle. The Sawzall blade allows the foam in place to be divided up into sections making removal easier. However, it is still a fairly big task to get the foam out and you fill the V-Berth area with large and small chunks of foam. It developes static electricity and clings to everything. I put it in a bucket to transfer it to a large garbage bag and when you pour it into the garbage bag, all the tiny pieces fly back upwards and cling to the bucket. I was a bit worried that the foam would be a chore to scrape from the inside of the hull but it comes off easily with a flat tool like a putty knife.

I think that when I finish cleaning out the foam, I will fillet the inner vertical side of the V berth to the hull and tape it with some fiberglas tape epoxied into place. Further, the forward end on my boat is foam that continued across the forward end of the V-Berth. My plan is to grind the forward end smooth and then to seal it with epoxy and fiberglas cloth to provide a smooth surface and to keep the foam from continuing to crumble with abrasion. When I am all done, I will paint the interior white with Interlux Brightside so it is light and easy to clean.

All in all, a very useful addition to the boat. Thanks to all who have discussed the pros and cons over time and especially to C-Daisy for posting the pictures which inspired me to proceed.

North Star, 2011 Rosborough RF-246
Capital Sea

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Capital Sea
Photos: Capital Sea
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we plan and make modifications in preparation for our first longer trip in remote waters, the items in need of storage include two downriggers and 2nd anchor. The thought of first digging out the factory foam, as you are doing, adding a hatch and then reinstalling some foam under a liner is of interest. The old hard sided 35mm camera cases had cut outs to fit your lenses and it is this idea I would be interested in borrowing from. This would gain a storage location for a few odd shaped items and create a secure place for them, free from shift and rattling around.
I look forward to your photos.

Save our Sound!
mcc272

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The C-Daisy pictures show the process very nicely. As to your thought about making "camera case cutouts" that might be possible but I suspect it would not be easy. The foam is hard, open cell spray or pour in place foam that then expanded as it set up. It does not completely fill the space and the top of it is totally uneven. It does not go to the corners in some places. perhaps you could remove a bit of it and grind a smooth surface in the top. Then, with a rasp chucked in a drill, you might be able to cut out reasonable cavities. The other possibility is to remove the foam entirely. You might then epoxy plywood blocks to the inside of the hull and screw "footman's loops" (See the webbing section of the West Marine catalogue) to the blocks and then strap the the downriggers and anchor in place with webbing. Also, before you start, it might make sense to mock up the hole in a large piece of cardboard and make sure that the items that you want to store will fit through the hole.

Jim
amy and karl

City/Region: Graham
Vessel Name: C-DAISY
Photos: C-DAISY
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: V-Berth Storage Reply with quote

Hi All,

Just getting ready to do some more work on the new storage area. Thought I might share what I intend to do. We considered reserving the forward portion of the underbunk area for foam but have decided to install a third hatch and remove it all. Then sand smooth and line the entire area with marine carpet. Hoping this will provide noise insulation and enough traction to keep things from sliding around. I would be very interested in seeing how your projects turn out.

Here is a link to my album.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album893&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

I will post more pictures as it comes together.

Karl on C-Daisy
snal

City/Region: Asheville
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Thelma Lou
Photos: Thelma Lou
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can post what type of hatches you're using? I want to do this modification to our 22, but I'd like to use a low profile hatch, and I'll need to order them online, sight unseen.

Thanks!

Oooops!...I see that you've listed the hatch covers, are they low profile? At least low enough that you won't likely "feel" them under the bow cushion?

Currently looking for a steal of a deal on a 25' "Thelma Lou II"
amy and karl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Hatch Type Reply with quote

The port and starboard side hatches are the same as listed in Jim's post (So-Pac 30205). Purchased from Fisheries Supply in Seattle. The forward hatch is from Innovative Product Solutions (500135) and has an outside diameter of 13"x17". Purchased from Boaters World in Tacoma.

Both retailers are online as well.

Hope that helps.

Karl
mcc272

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The So-Pac hatches are low profile. I have not measured them but they stick up between 1/4 and 3/8" and I don't believe that they will be particularly noticeable under the cushions. If you need an exact measurement, let me know and I will go grab it.

Jim
snal

City/Region: Asheville
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Thelma Lou
Photos: Thelma Lou
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great!...thanks for the info!
Not For Hire

City/Region: Cadillac, MI
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also planning a similar project on my 22 and am very grateful for your photos. I was one of the many beneficiaries of SEA3PO's lazarette hatch endeavor. So I had two extra hatches which got me thinking. Then, right after I put the boat away for the winter, I bought a 13 x 30 hatch and liner. The liner is like the liner of a cooler but it tapers toward the bottom. At the bottom it is only 9 inches wide and and it is about 10 /12 wide at the top. The liner is about 11 inches deep and 27 long. I thought to put this large hatch and liner athwartships in front of the porta-potti area. But with the liner you don't get that much storage for such a big hole. I think Steve meant he would cut out foam so it would support the liner, n ot individual items. That was my thought also so I could put some heavier stuff in there if needed. Now I am leaning more toward three hatches (using the old lazarette hatches) and cleaning out all the foam as you have shown. I need to get to the boat and actually measure how the large hatch will fit.

Thanks for sharing!

Mark

amy and karl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: V-Berth Storage Reply with quote

Just finished with the storage area. The carpet worked out pretty well. And its easy to work with. Here are a couple pics.

marco422

City/Region: Salt Spring Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Gaiasika
Photos: Gaiasika
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: V-Berth Storage Reply with quote

amy and karl wrote:
Hi All,

Just getting ready to do some more work on the new storage area. Thought I might share what I intend to do. We considered reserving the forward portion of the underbunk area for foam but have decided to install a third hatch and remove it all. Then sand smooth and line the entire area with marine carpet. Hoping this will provide noise insulation and enough traction to keep things from sliding around. I would be very interested in seeing how your projects turn out.

Here is a link to my album.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album893&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

I will post more pictures as it comes together.

Karl on C-Daisy

Wow, judging from your pics, they sure do a sloppy job of putting in the foam. Or is that an average quality job? Seems like its filled about 50%.
amy and karl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Foam Reply with quote

Ya, I think they are just concerned with getting the calculated amount inserted since nobody usually sees it.
Sea Angel

City/Region: Virginia Beach, VA
State or Province: VA
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl;
Is there any concern with mold collecting in the forward compartment's carpeting?

Have you also considered the abrasion the anchor(s) may cause on the inner hull?

I have found some rubber/foam door matts at places like 'Bed Bath & Beyond' to work very well in protecting my hull from my second anchor bouncing around below deck. They aren't too expensive either and when you thru with them you can use them as anti-fatigue matts at the work bench, etc..

Art

CBRAT #208
2005 CD25 #075 SEA ANGEL (SOLD)
USCGAUX (RET), USN(RET)
Broadcast TV ENG(RET)
ka1rx@verizon.net
eNORMous

City/Region: Beaufort
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Antibody
Photos: Antibody
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Foam Reply with quote

amy and karl wrote:
Ya, I think they are just concerned with getting the calculated amount inserted since nobody usually sees it.

I don't find that hard to believe.

Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When that foam goes off its mighty powerful stuff in a confined space. The added storage is more valuable than the foam in my opinion . You got much bigger problems than keeping the bow a few inches higher in the air if the worst case scenario comes to pass .......
Marc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: