The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Adding a Tach to an outboard?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbadmin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject: Adding a Tach to an outboard? Reply with quote

From: C-LionRay (Original Message) Sent: 12/24/2002 4:35 PM
I really want a tach on my main engine and right now there isn't one. It is a 1993 75 HP Suzuki Model D175TCLP. Is it expensive? What will be involved? What is the best way to cut the hole for it? What about a trim meter?
Thanks in aadvance...

Hi Ray -

Can't help you much on the tach technical stuff, but I sure found a good way to cut the hole. If you have an an air compressor, those pneumatic reciprocating saws that are used for light gauge sheet metal work (auto bodies, etc.) are great for cutting through the fiberglass, cored or not. They have little tiny blades, and following a line and trimming out irregular cuts is real easy. They also let you go as slow as you want, and take very fine cuts. You can get them pretty cheap.

For a round tach or gauge hole, though, you can probably do a neater job with a hole saw. Ideally, you can use one of those fancy Hole Hawgs with the carbide teeth, but they are very spendy. I can probably loan you one of mine from work if you tell me the size. If you use a hole saw, you have to be careful when you hit the balsa core, because it will grab and go through that real fast. They work good, though.

For drilling smaller holes in the glass, I have found that a new, sharp, countersink bit works real good. It makes a very tidy hole with no splintering or chipping the gelcoat. I posted something about those earlier on here.

Have fun. It's a real kick poking holes in your boat.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: