The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bennett auto tab control

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Bennett auto tab control Reply with quote

Does anyone have one of these on their c-dory? Once the Zero point is set all you do is turn it on and it maintains that trim.

Auto tab trim control

Setting the Zero Point. After installing the system, take your boat for a test run. When underway, use the manual trim tab control to get your boat running at the best running attitude. Press and hold both “Set Zero” buttons (Sun and Moon Buttons) on the ATC Keypad (about 4 seconds) until the blue LED flashes rapidly. After the LED is flashing, release the buttons. Your boat’s attitude is now set in the memory.

The problem I see, at least from my experience, is you would have to re-set the Zero Point quite frequently for different sea states and speeds.

With that said, it would take a lot of the guess work out of maintaining optimal trim, especially for long trips at constant speeds.

I’m sure there’ll be lots of speculation amongst use, would be great if someone here has actual real-world experience.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
BRAZO

City/Region: Full-time Travel
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meyer Meyer
Photos: BRAZO
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we installed the Bennett auto tab control on our boat last year. We installed it at the end of the year, so we have limited experience with it. From our use and from what I read, you only need to set it once -- basically you can set it while you are at the dock.

We did some "shifting of the weight" on the boat and the auto tab control took care of it and put us back in trim.

I don't have enough experience with it yet, but it worked great the one time that we had it out.

mrw90

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the auto tab control in use on a 30' Tolly, so hopefully some of my thoughts on the system are transferable. Overall, I would grade the system positively. For the most part, you get your boat running at the attitude that you like best (probably taking into account issues such as efficiency, comfort, etc) and set that as the zero point. The ATC system will then control the tabs to maintain this attitude. The system can therefore adjust to people moving around the boat, keep the bow at the best running angle, etc.

In my opinion the system is especially useful in calm to moderate seas, and maybe up to really sloppy head seas. From my experience, I am best off turning off the unit in rough following or beam seas. Especially when the seas to the side, the boat may be rocking faster than the ATC can adjust the tabs, so sometimes you end up rocking over one way due to wave action with the tab pushing the boat over even more as its still a step behind the new stimulus.

That being said, on most voyages, you can truly set the zero point and let the tabs do their thing without thinking much about them.

Just a note, the auto tab system's zero point should not be set at the dock, unless your preferred running attitude is the same as the boat rests while not underpower.
tpbrady

C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay,

I never got mine to work correctly. Sometime this spring I'll pick up on it again with Bennett on the phone and see what goes.

38 Trawler Mia Terra 2012-2015
42 Nordic Tug 2015-
28 KingFisher 2009-2014
14 Jetcraft 2000-
17 Scanoe 1981-
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the Bennet auto trim control on my boat for ~4 years-- love it.
I set it for optimum cruising comfort on plane and it gets in the zone every time

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
breausaw

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback; most reviews I’ve read are positive. Have the M120 super sport tabs on order with the 3in1 switch but think I’ll see how they work out before ordering the auto trim control. I’ve run other boats with trim tabs and always found it annoying having to constantly adjust them whenever someone moves.

Tom,

Hope you’re able to figure out what’s up with your control. Got one hit back from the Alaska Outdoor forum who said his dad was never been able to get his working right either, but that was 10 years ago; thought these controls were fairly new.
I wonder if water temperature has anything to do with it. If the reaction time at the tab is slow perhaps the controller continually overcompensates, but the rams are never submerged underway.
Was going to email Bennett and ask if they’ve seen problems associated with cold water applications.
tpbrady

C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay,

The trim tabs work just fine. The automatic controller for some reason does not like the way mine are installed. With the auto tab control installed, you should be able to switch it off and manually control the tabs. Mine won't let me do that and doesn't work in the automatic mode either.
breausaw

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

I understand your controller is the problem and not the trim tabs. I was just speculating that perhaps the controller is having a hard time maintaining trim do to a slower then nominal response to impute associated with cold water; sounds like you have other issues.

Sent this email to Bennett:

Have you ever seen problems affecting the Auto Trim Control associated with cold water applications?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: