The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

RADAR reflectors
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: RADAR reflectors Reply with quote

I don't know how effective they are, but I wanted one and never bought because i felt the price was too much for what is there.

While poking around my favorite toy store (Fisherman's Marine) in Oregon City, I found a couple of Seadog reflectors for $11.50. The original price was around $30ish. Comparable in WM is $50ish. They are solid aluminum and will break down. There's one left in Oregon City, and maybe some at the Delta Park store.

Steve

matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: RR Reply with quote

I have always placed a high priority on radar reflection. I use a medium size tri-lens radar reflector. I have not used other reflection systems, but I know this one works like a champ. It is AMAZING how small of a target even a 30' fiberglass vessel can return for example.

Here is a link for reference, I use the middle size unit:

http://www.tri-lens.com/trilensweb12002002.htm

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of the mid-sized, aluminum ball types that comes apart. When out in the ocean, I hang it inside the radar arc, but have kept it in the back of the aft dinette cabinet here on the lake. To my surprise, my dockmates say they can see a large echo of my boat for it's size, even with the reflector tucked away.

John
20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that having your radar on increases your target size dramatically. Anyone know if this is true?
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted a radar reflector but was put off by the $ for some simple pieces of aluminum. A sheet metal shop here sold me some aluminum and cut it into circles for $2.00 total. I fabricated a reflector from those, bonded the pieces with JBweld and mounted it on the uprights of the radar arch. Pictures are on page 3 of the C-Cakes photo album. Not at all hard to do and I feel a little better. It is not certified by any government agency but the geometry is the same as the commercial ones and physics is physics.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of the refectors work--some better than others. The foam/foil reflectors seem to work, as do the folding square or aluminum. Even foil over plywood works well. The "Rain catch" position seems to work well.

Having a radar on, may give some interference to a boat with a radar with similar frequency radar, and thus show the boat better. But it does not act as a reflector or intrinsically increase the radar image.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we had our sailboat in Lake Michigan, another boat asked us to check their radar image both with and without their reflector up. Using a 2 kW Raymarine CRT, I could see no difference.

Has anyone tried to scan a boat with and without their reflector (same boat)?

We also had a radar detector. Worthless, because of too many radar signals. Even in the middle of the ocean, we'd get a signal; I assume from satellites. I think that the best radar signal is from the radar on your boat.

Boris
marco422

City/Region: Salt Spring Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Gaiasika
Photos: Gaiasika
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="colobear"]I wanted a radar reflector but was put off by the $ for some simple pieces of aluminum. A sheet metal shop here sold me some aluminum and cut it into circles for $2.00 total. I fabricated a reflector from those, bonded the pieces with JBweld and mounted it on the uprights of the radar arch. Pictures are on page 3 of the C-Cakes photo album. Not at all hard to do and I feel a little better. It is not certified by any government agency but the geometry is the same as the commercial ones and physics is physics.[/quote]

As far as I know the geometry is fairly critical for this type of reflector. If the angles are a few degrees off 90 degrees, it significantly decreases the reflective profile.
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are right about the geometry. When I studied radar back in the dark ages we learned that the radar cross section of a target with some kind of reflector was substantially bigger than the same target without a reflector; so I figure even if my home built reflector is a degree or two off my boat will still be a substantially bigger target than without it. When I decided on that construction I used the same geometry as the folding circular reflectors and a true 90 degree square to set my angles and tried to keep to that accuracy. The commercial ones have a loose enough assembly to be off a degree or two and figure if it is good enough for them it will likely be good enough for me. Anyway, I feel better with it there Smile
Almas Only

City/Region: Richmond
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Alma's Only
Photos: Alma's Only
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose reflectors work, and have read the studies comparing one to the other. Lots of nice numbers, graphs, etc., but what always seems to be lacking are photos of radar screens, showing significant, or even noticable, differences in actual returns. Anyone come across a link to this info?

Whenever we're boating with a group, and someone hangs up one of the disk type reflectors, I make a point of looking at the radar returns, while I change position, range, etc. I've never been able to see an improvement with the reflector up. I do detect differences from one boat to the other, which I attribute to different engine blocks, running gear, etc. But, opening up and deploying a disk reflector has yet to show up on my radar screen.

I haven't done any definitive testing, and perhaps at longer range, or in rougher seas, the reflector would make a difference. I also haven't targeted any of the tri-lens reflectors, which I understand do a better job. My radar is a JRC 1500, which is not top of the line, and perhaps a better set would pick up the differences.

Others have reported improved returns. What's going on?

Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only experience in a group was about 2-3 years ago when about 6-7 C-Dorys headed across Rosario Channel to Lopez. I was in the front and all where in somewhat of a line spread over about 1/2- 1 mile. It was reported by several others that I "painted" a much bigger picture than others. I have the standard three aluminum disks fitted together to form a sphere. I carry it right under the high arch.

If you are traveling in or through Canadian waters they are required. Although I don't know what they do to enforce it. I guess if you have an incident that gets investigated you better have one.

Anything that makes you look bigger on someone else's radar is a good thing. It is just like driving a car. I don't worry so much about me, it's the other guy I worry about. I want to be seen.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, From discussion with the Canadian "coasties" I believe the requirement to meet their standards (on a number of things including radar reflectors) only kick in after 30 days if my memory is correct.
Enforcement is another issue.

Merv

Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Merv, I think I know that at some earlier point in my life. I can't remember the other things I have forgotten.
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in my sailing days I used one of the Davis Instruments foam/aluminum foil reflectors mounted high on a flag halyard right under one of the spreaders. On the Chesapeake I hailed a passing Coast Guard vessel and asked for info on my radar return. They replied that I had a radar signature nearly identical to a large, steel commercial fishing vessel nearby. That surprised the heck out of me, but also made me feel a lot more comfortable as a singlehander.

Nick
"Valkyrie"
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Here's one for you. If you trailer your boat into Canada from USA via Nexus you will not be given a "magic" number to hang in your window next to the dock. Shocked

What was the first question? Rolling Eyes

Merv
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: