HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Kayak advice needed...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Wannabe

State or Province: AB
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Wannabe wrote:

The boat actually sold for $575, which was still a deal. Another one is now up by the same vendor...and will top off at $565 or more.

It went for $565!
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes on the skeg, BIG difference. AND...make sure you align it VERY WELL before you finish inflating or putting in the water, a real PITA if it's slightly off (always turning right or left and correcting).

Have fun at Powell Pat and Patty! We expect pictures...

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I tested the Tahiti with the skeg at Lake Conconully in Okanogan County this past weekend.

All I can say is WOW, WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I paddled most of the length of the lake and back, boat stayed straight, considerably more speed, this should not be an option, it should be standard equipment!

And there will be Powell pix, you can count on it!

Dora~Jean wrote:
Yes on the skeg, BIG difference. AND...make sure you align it VERY WELL before you finish inflating or putting in the water, a real PITA if it's slightly off (always turning right or left and correcting).

Have fun at Powell Pat and Patty! We expect pictures...

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Told ya! And I agree, should be standard equipment, but different people have different usages I guess -- could be that some parents might NOT want their kids to go too fast and too straight, meaning long distances (ha).

I like my Tahiti so much I bought another a couple years ago. Great for stopping, tying up to some kelp, jumping over for some snorkling then rolling back in, stretch out and take a snooze! Cheap, light and fun.

Boy I wish my schedule would allow Powell this year...
toyman

City/Region: Lake Livingston
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Fan-C-Dory
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw a MadRiverCanoe Adventure 14 when we pulled into the Seneca Lake Park the other day. Being paddled by 2 folks about our age so when they pulled it out I checked it out. It has a nice wide, kinda flat bottom (form fitting - oops I didn't say that !) So I went looking for one on the net and the closest I could find one was REI in Texas. We made a shopping trip and found one at Dicks $500 - and bought it. Now waiting for her to build up courage to get in the thing - but Using it single handed is fine also.

http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=1801

In East Texas
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing this thread back to life, as I'm searching for a Kayak. Right now my top two choices are the Aire Tributary Tomcat Solo Inflatable Kayak and the Hobie Mirage i11s. Both more expensive than many of the others listed. But talking about a large frame person that wants something very stable. I may make my purchase before much more is posted here, but just throwing it out there to see of any more suggestions if I change my mind about purchasing in the next day or so. My wife and I have little experience Kayaking, but have tipped a rented tandem hard side over (those that Peninsula State Park rent), and sort of enjoyed a cheap Challenger inflatable, but still I didn't feel all that stable in. I just tried a Advanced Elements AdvancedFrame Kayak from REI, but felt like I had to "wear it" and it was tight fitting. I really think I prefer something that I sit "on" rather than "in", is stable, and relatively easy to stay dry when using. Something that we can enjoy in the bays or exploring, or use to get to land when on the hook. Also prefer two solo kayaks as opposed to a tandem. And that can find space deflated on the CD-22.
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say enough about the new Epic V5 kayaks: http://www.epickayaks.com/product/product/epic-v5. Coming in at 14 feet and weighing anywhere from 26 pounds for the kevlar version to 48 pounds for the rotomolded version, they are performance oriented, fast, stable as all get out, and very safe because if you fall out, you just get back on and go. You don't need to know how to roll a kayak and there's no pumping water out before you get underway again. The rotomolded version (which I have) costs about $1500, and is bombproof, which I need because I have not figured out a way to gracefully take a kayak on and off my boat, Nor have I figured out a way to get my kids to treat a kayak gently. Nor have I figure out a way to tell the barnacles to get out of my way when landing. The best thing about these is that they are serious kayaks that you can actually use for kayaking (not just floating around the marina). Last year, for example, I paddled mine around Shaw Island in the San Juan's (14 miles) in two hours and 34 minutes.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But do they fold up? Reason I need an inflatable is due to space on the 22. I don't have much space on the roof due to my radar, mast light and VHF antennas. Colby
nimrod

City/Region: Mount Vernon
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Berta's Boy
Photos: 'Berta's Boy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider an Oru kayak. They fold into a compact package and are very light.

https://www.orukayak.com/

I don't have any connection with them, but I think they're cool.

jd
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Oru kayak is certainly a neat looking boat! But I wonder how hard it would be to assemble in the cockpit of a C Dory? (I did watch the videos and assembly--and that is why I am asking the question.)
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Montana Kev

City/Region: Bozeman/Yellowstone
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Grace
Photos: Grace
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a Sea Eagle Fast Track 465 and have really enjoyed it as a tandem kayak, only 37 pounds. We have owned over a dozen kayaks of all sizes and materials and still own a 21’ tandem glass/carbon kayak. The inflatable can be launched and retrieved at anchor off the top of our 22 or 25 very easy. We have a DIY sail rig that we never leave home without. The inflatable seats are the most comfy kayak seats we have ever used. I was a skeptic when we bought this kayak but they had a 90 day trial with a full refund. I was tired of loading heavy boats on a roof and needed something we could use as a dingy too. Super stable in wind and waves. This video shows it on top of our 22. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgO9nPT7AFI.
Kevin
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After this original post in 2009....Sue and I purchased several Hobie pedal kayaks.....Sue goes paddling every morning during the summer...for several hours every day.... I went once, turned the darn thing over...and quit...I put the darn thing under the house where it sits today....If I were ever to buy another kayak it would be one of those Mokie's....one with a motor...they look kool..heck with the exercise...turn on the power...

Joel
SEA3PO
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also under the house (the dead zone) sitting next to my Hobie Mirage is a regular Hobie paddle kayak...maybe 12' long ... I was thinking that next time I salvage a skidoo ...or one of those jet thingies I will take the jet drive and make up my own brand of power kayak... I love the idea of the Mokie's....but they are over $5k and with all the boat repair I do on my boat...I can't afford another $5k bill... so I will make my own...bet I can make something just as good... probably just as good as the last submarine I was in... I always am on the lookout for a new project and the jet kayak might be fun...

Joel
SEA3PO

My current disaster is to replace the diesel 3 cylinder motor in my work boat...seems I did not get all the water out of the block last winter...and yep...cracked block... it was an antique so I need to buy a whole new diesel...
nimrod

City/Region: Mount Vernon
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: 'Berta's Boy
Photos: 'Berta's Boy
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
The Oru kayak is certainly a neat looking boat! But I wonder how hard it would be to assemble in the cockpit of a C Dory? (I did watch the videos and assembly--and that is why I am asking the question.)

Well, that could be a problem, especially with a camperback. OTOH, one could keep them fully assembled on the cabin roof. At 26 lbs each, I could have two up there and still be less weight than my dinghy. Plus be a heck of a lot easier to get up there.

jd
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We trailer a 12ft 50lb inflatable on the roof rack of our 19 with no problems. If the only driver to get an inflatable is for transport, you might re-consider. even the basic rigid boats are much more rewarding to paddle than the best inflatables. One of the best inflatables going is currently the Sea Eagle Razorlite models.

https://www.seaeagle.com/RazorLite

I don't have personal experience with them but have heard good things from experienced paddlers. Even the Aironaut from Feathercraft (discontinued) was less than rewarding to paddle and that is a from a company who takes great pride in creating the best possible experience from a given design requirement.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: