View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Sick

City/Region: Renton
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Gratitude
Photos: C-Sick
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:24 am    Post subject: How Do You Beat The C-Dory Community Reply with quote

What a great response from Falco to help a newbie discover the wonders of boating on the West Side of Vancouver Island. The links are great and you can't beat the encouragement.

It is one thing to own a boat. It is whole other matter to have people who willing to be so darn helpful.

Any one else want to chime in on the wonders of this area.

cgypsy

City/Region: Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C Gypsy
Photos: C Gypsy
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an old thread but still pretty relevant.

I have been thinking about going to Clayquot Sound and now I am convinced that I really need to go. Your pictures have convinced me.

However, I would feel better going with another boat. I single hand so I usually feel more comfortable with other boats around.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've cruised Clayoquot twice, once cruising in from outside and once trailering a C-Dory and both times single-handed. The entire inside of the Sound is safer than cruising Lake Powell (where a collision with a PWC is a constant threat). Although it has a remote feeling, there are a surprising number of people monitoring VHF (the locals use it like a cell phone) as well as complete CG coverage on 16. Any "problem" would likely have a boat alongside in 30 minutes. Not true if you are in a remote slot canyon on Lake Powell. The biggest tidal rip is actually right along the docks in Tofino. Easiest to visit town for gas or supplies during slack. Also the area right around town has the most navigation markers because of rocks and sand spits. Going in and out of Tofino was probably the most complex navigation on the Sound.

Going outside to fish is a little different. If you fish the popular spots, like "the Rock," there will be other boats around. If you stay outside the little barrier islands when returning to Tofino, you will likely be by yourself for an hour. Still easy radio coverage but the prevailing wind and swells will push you towards a nasty landing.

There is plenty to do and see for a week to 10 days in the back areas of the Sound. If the water is flat out front (which it was for several days both times I was there), then poking around outside gives you the feeling of being on the edge of the earth. Fishing was great. There is a processor on the docks in Tofino that will freeze and package mult-day catches.

I just got back from fishing in the Broughtons and there is a new 1 Chinook limit for a "Goldilocks" fish. It can't be too small and it can't be too big. Odd regulation. The limit on rockfish was one a day, so my supper menu is still the same. I don't know if this BC rule applies everywhere.

There is overnight moorage at the Port of Tofino. I never stayed there, but I did stop in for fresh water and a walk up to the Rhino Coffee Shop. Good coffee and pastries. At the other end of town is a public dock with easy access to a good supermarket and hardware store.

I'm leaving for Haida Gwaii on Friday, so it looks like no cruising the West Coast of Vancouver Island for me this year.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cgypsy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Although it has a remote feeling, there are a surprising number of people monitoring VHF (the locals use it like a cell phone) as well as complete CG coverage on 16

Mark, Thanks for the encouragement. I really want to go there but it will take me some time to convince myself that I can (or want to) do it by myself.

It is good to hear about other people's experiences. I am one step closer to packing my boat.

Gypsy
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bess-C

Next summer we're going to take our C-Dory 25 to Vancouver Island (again), up to Port hardy and launch it. In trying to get a handle of the costs I looked at the BC Ferry page and made an estimate of the ferry tolls. I get a total for the truck, boat and two passengers of ~$250 each way. The total rig is 50', btw.

Since this is twice what you're indicating, how did you pay only $125 for a 50' rig? I would love it if I could get by for only that much.

Boris
cgypsy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In trying to get a handle of the costs I looked at the BC Ferry page and made an estimate of the ferry tolls. I get a total for the truck, boat and two passengers of ~$250 each way. The total rig is 50', btw.

BC Ferries offers a summer promotion for certain sailings. The cost of the boat is half price.
https://www.bcferries.com/promotions/bring-it-all.html

Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In trying to get a handle of the costs I looked at the BC Ferry page and made an estimate of the ferry tolls. I get a total for the truck, boat and two passengers of ~$250 each way. The total rig is 50', btw.

We brought Mistaya our 22 C-Dory out to the island this summer and behind our truck we totalled 52 feet. The cost one way with two passengers was just over $300 one way. We will be bringing her back in October. There were no deals available on the journey because we were over 7 feet high. The program changed from last year when there were lower cost sailings.

We had considered leaving her in storage on the coast this winter, but the combination of cost and dealing with humidity that we don't have to worry about in bone dry Alberta will make it easier to keep her here.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see this thread come up, a second trip to Hotsprings cove, in Clayoquot sound, has been on my list for the last 5 years and will be booked for next summer. This year we had a good couple days fishing Bamfield which is just south of Ucluelet. It is another great trip with the Broken Islands being a great place to explore.
cgypsy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Clayoquot Sound. Tofino is crazy busy but Tofino Inlet had hardly any boats and I have the only boat in each Anchorage for the past three nights. It might get busier when I head out toward Ahousat, but there are very few cruisers here. It is mostly water taxis, tour boats, and fishers and they all go home at night.

I have just started my trip but I am keeping a journal of my trip at

http://yougogirl.home.blog/

Thank you to everyone who has shared input.

Gypsy
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to stop in at the Ahousat general store. Poke around and buy a can of warm soda as a souvenir.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgypsy wrote:
I am in Clayoquot Sound. Tofino is crazy busy but Tofino Inlet had hardly any boats and I have the only boat in each Anchorage for the past three nights. It might get busier when I head out toward Ahousat, but there are very few cruisers here. It is mostly water taxis, tour boats, and fishers and they all go home at night.

I have just started my trip but I am keeping a journal of my trip at

http://yougogirl.home.blog/

Thank you to everyone who has shared input.

Gypsy

Thanks for documenting your trip!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: How Do You Beat The C-Dory Community Reply with quote

C-Sick wrote:
What a great response from Falco to help a newbie discover the wonders of boating on the West Side of Vancouver Island. The links are great and you can't beat the encouragement.

It is one thing to own a boat. It is whole other matter to have people who willing to be so darn helpful.

Any one else want to chime in on the wonders of this area.

Just wondered if anyone else noticed the entry from "C-Sick" That is the boat that Paul Souders bought and took to Hudson Bay to photograph the Polar Bears. Just a side note and do not mean to derail the West Vancouver Island thread. That is great boating territory and I am sure it has changed some since this thread was started in 2004.

Sandra, thanks for sharing your trip in the blog. Wish I could have worked it out to buddy boat but that was not going to work this year.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: