City/Region: Chain of Lakes
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kon Tiki
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical conversation heading down the intercoastal waterway:
My wife shouting! "Boat coming up on your port side" me explaining. " I can't drive the boat behind me"

There are signals you are suppose to use when passing on the port and starboard. What are they?

Boaters rarely signal at all leaving the 1st mate shouting in the skippers ear and scaring him to death.

Like driving on the freeway. A huge amount of people entering and merging with the traffic have no clue how to do it. And you never get to tell them or swear at them. I am sure none of them are C-Brats or Tugnuts.

Great thread Jim . It isn't what you have learned, it is what you remember when you need it. I have to admit I forgot an awful lot since taking my tests going on 20 years ago.
captd

2007 25 R Ranger (Mis Dee) sold 2008
2009 25 R Ranger (Lucky Fin) sold
1994 22 ft C-Dory ( Kon Tiki )
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry H wrote:
Jim,

Quote:
50 Bonus Points to the first person who can tell us where "right of way" comes into play in the Rules of the Road.

Inland Rule 9----Power driven vessels in narrow channels or fairways on the Great Lakes, Western Rivers, proceeding downbound with a following current, shall have the right-of-way over an upbound vessel.

Note---this rule is not in the International rules.

Jim, Here in the Great Northwest, all salt water and Lake Union and Lake Washington are declared to be International Waters, so salt water boaters(that's me) are not concerned much with Inland Rules. Thanks for the reminder.

I did own and operate a 31 ft sailboat for 15 years and I know about the 'crazy power boaters', (now I are one!!), but I am very careful around sailboats, some of them still think they have 'right-of-way' all the time.

Ah-ha! Larry gets the Bonus Points! Wink In the grand scheme of things, the "blowboat vs stinkpotter" debate is more volatile than any political discussion. Mr. Green Having said that, I find it quite interesting that many of the folks who own C-Dorys have a sailing background. Without any facts to back me up on this, I'm inclined to say that the percentage is larger than with most small powerboats. I've often said that I currently find myself a powerboater with a sailing sensibility. Wink

I, too, am careful around sailboats... and powerboats... and kayaks... and freighters, tankers, etc, etc. Cool I've had powerboats try to run my ass over and a look back at our cruising thread and you can find the post about the arrogant idiot who ran into Wild Blue with his sailboat in Bellingham. Fortunately, people like that are the minority... but I still am careful.

Our cruising is inland as well as coastal. Get away from the Great Northwest, and there are a myriad of state nav aids that one needs to get familiar with if traveling through. I may have started this thread, but I don't consider myself any kind of expert on "the Rules"... since there seems to be some general interest, I'll ask more questions.

But, I didn't sign on to be the "Ask the Rules Guy"... let's keep this going; if you answer a question, then it's your turn to come up with the next question. Have a question about "the Rules" but don't know the answer, jump right in and ask. It's a good learning experience and we can all have some fun with it.

So, here's the next question (and it has to do with weather and "the Rules")... you are cruising across Puget Sound and the visibility drops to less than 100 feet in fog. What is the appropriate action(s) to take while you proceed to your destination?

Now, when you answer, it's YOUR TURN to ask the next question.

Best wishes,
Jim

PS - And to respond to Robbi regarding the Chapman's... mine is several years old, too. The newest version is larger, so there has to be more stuff in it, right? Wink The basic foundations don't change much, but it's probably a good idea to update once in a while. Kinda like using a cruising guide that's 10 years old. Rolling Eyes If you are doing this for hire, you should have a current copy of the CFRs with you. I'm not familiar with a smaller Chapman's.

JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

captd wrote:
Typical conversation heading down the intercoastal waterway:
My wife shouting! "Boat coming up on your port side" me explaining. " I can't drive the boat behind me"

There are signals you are suppose to use when passing on the port and starboard. What are they?

Boaters rarely signal at all leaving the 1st mate shouting in the skippers ear and scaring him to death.

Like driving on the freeway. A huge amount of people entering and merging with the traffic have no clue how to do it. And you never get to tell them or swear at them. I am sure none of them are C-Brats or Tugnuts.

Great thread Jim . It isn't what you have learned, it is what you remember when you need it. I have to admit I forgot an awful lot since taking my tests going on 20 years ago.
captd

Hi CaptD,

We deal with barge, ship, shrimper, excursion boat, tug, and a gazillion small fishing boats when we leave our little island. In the past 10 years, I'm guessing I've heard the actual horn signals a handful of times locally.

In the case you mentioned, the VHF is your friend. It's the responsibility of the overtaking boat to let the skipper of the boat being overtaken know what his intentions are. In your case is SHOULD go like this...

Boat overtaking you: "Lucky Fin, Lucky Fin, this is Wild Blue, coming up behind you. We intend to take you on the one." (This lets him know that we intend to pass him on his starboard side, leaving him on our port side. If we were doing it with just horn signals, it would be one blast. If we intended to take him on his port side, leaving him on our starboard, it would be "on the two" or two horn blasts.)

Proper procedure would be for you to answer, "Wild Blue, this is Lucky Fin; on the one." (Your acknowledgement and agreement to the procedure.) The boat being overtaken is supposed to acknowledge by radio or with the same horn blast.

In the narrow ICW on the Texas coast, we do this all the time with tugs/barges. It lets them know our intentions AND that we are not a stupid powerboater or arrogant sailor who is going to cause them to have to take any action. Wink We do this whether overtaking OR crossing. Did I mention the ICW is narrow? Wink

When we were traveling with Discovery and Kurbit in the GICW/Apalachicola River, we used that procedure when passing a couple large cruisers. The responded accordingly. Here in deep south Texas, most of the small fishing boats don't have a VHF and would just think you are being impatient if you gave them a horn blast. Rolling Eyes There is the right way... and there is the "real world."

I have no idea what to do about the crazy-ass people on the freeway exit/entrance ramps. Maybe stay on your boat? Mr. Green

Best wishes,
Jim
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I answered CaptD's question, so I'll toss one more out there. Darrel asked about the proper horn signals. So, what is the meaning of...

ONE blast?

TWO blasts?

THREE blasts?

FOUR blasts?

FIVE (or more) blasts?

Assume weather is clear.

Be sure to sign your work. Partial credit will be given for partial answers. Please don't copy off your neighbor's paper (they may not know how to spell your name correctly). Wink

Best wishes,
Jim
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 blast -- will pass you on my port side (passing or overtaking)

2 blasts -- same as 1, for starboard

3 blasts -- I am in reverse

4 blasts -- Don't know this one

5 blasts -- I disagree with your proposed action

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 - Also=You are sailing into danger. Most commonly heard around here when you get in front of a WA state ferry !!

Merv

dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this cheat sheet, where you are the center of the clock and the other vessel is at noon.

of course with my 40hp I only pass oncoming vessels and canoes.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
wailedcentipede

City/Region: canada
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Blue Jay
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not looked at the rules of the road for years now ... "BUT" a quick read of the post i think

no. 4 is "your" sailing into danger

no. 5 "is i can't "maneuver "... example a larger vessel in a narrow shipping channel running slow .. can be a larger vessel backing into the channel and theirs pleasure craft running about ... towing, docking a barge etc . in confined area lots of pleasure craft in area

no. 1&2 ... only applies in rivers, narrow channels

i think some of the answers are worded wrong most horn signals are only used to signal your own actions or course change ... wc
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I threw "FOUR Blasts" in there just for the fun of it - it doesn't mean anything. Laughing

One, two and three, everyone seems pretty familiar with.

Five, from the regs:

When vessels in sight of one another are approaching each other and from any cause either vessel fails to understand the intentions or actions of the other, or is in doubt whether sufficient action is being taken by the other to avoid collision, the vessel in doubt shall immediately indicate such doubt by giving at least five short and rapid blasts on the whistle.

Around here, FIVE blasts gets everyone's attention... we hear it frequently in the ship channel when one of the aforementioned little fishing boats is anchored in the channel and about to be run down by a freighter. Shocked

Someone wanna take the fog question?
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

I believe it's a 2 second blast on the ship's whistle every minute. I just turn the Icom 602 to "Fog" and push the button. That way I can slow down and watch the fishing boats scatter on the Radar screen.

Good thread, thanks

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horn(whistle)signals.

In International waters, the signals are to indicate 'actions'.

Example: 1 short blast means "I am altering my course to starboard". 2 short blasts means "I am altering my course to port".

In Inland waters, the signals are to indicate 'intentions' and must be answered by the same signal, prior to executing the maneuver.

Example: 1 blast means "I intend to overtake you on your starboard side". If the overtaken vessel agrees, they answer with the same signal. If the overtaken vessel does not agree, or considers the intended action dangerous they sound the danger signal, at least 5 short and rapid blasts.

One prolonged blast(4 to 6 seconds) means "I am leaving my slip or berth"

Three short blasts (about 1 second each) means "I am operating astern propulsion".

Larry H

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
1TUBERIDER

City/Region: Crescent City
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your visibility decreases you are to decrease your speed so that you can stop in half the distance of your visibility. Your sound signal while underway is a prolonged blast at two minute intervals.

So what will you hear in the fog of a vessel towing another vessel.

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1TUBERIDER wrote:

So what will you hear in the fog of a vessel towing another vessel?

One 5-second blast followed by three 1-second blasts (each separated by 2-seconds) every 120 seconds.

What should you be honking if you are in the fog but fishing (underway or anchored)?

JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1TUBERIDER wrote:
If your visibility decreases you are to decrease your speed so that you can stop in half the distance of your visibility. Your sound signal while underway is a prolonged blast at two minute intervals.

So what will you hear in the fog of a vessel towing another vessel.

Now, we're talking! Thumbs Up A "hampered vessel's" fog signal is one long and two short blasts. BTW, "hampered" refers to what other vessels besides a tow?

Bonus question: what is the time duration of a short and a long horn blast?

PS - for Rogerbum: the one long and three short is for a manned vessel BEING towed. (It is the "answer" to the towing vessel's sound signal.)
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:

What should you be honking if you are in the fog but fishing (underway or anchored)?

Sorry, Roger, I missed that question. If you are fishing in the fog, you are still a powerboat in the grand scheme of things. If you are underway and making way, the signal is still one long blast every two minutes (or less). If you are underway, but not making way, the signal is two long blasts with two seconds between them, every two minutes (or less). If you are at anchor, the signal is ringing a bell rapidly for 5 seconds once every minute (or less); in addition, one short blast followed by one long and another short may be used.

Interesting thing about the fog situation: while you are supposed to slow to a safe speed, you are also supposed to keep a lookout. We also open our windows in the fog to better hear any sound signals. Ever notice that it's hard to tell direction of the signal in the fog? If in our local ship channel, we also make a position report with a "securite'" call on Channel 16.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Seamanship All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: