The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

What did you see at the boat show?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: What did you see at the boat show? Reply with quote

Everyone at the Seattle Boat Show CBGT spent a lot of their time at the C-Dory display. I'm interested in what you saw in the current version of your boat model that you liked and what you didn't like.

The folks at the factory seldom ask our opinion but hopefully, they read our posts and may gather some feedback that way. I personally wish them the very best and try to promote their product at every opportunity.

We were impressed with the interior of the new TomCat. The headliner, naugahyde and trim panels were a nice touch. The molded interior has it's good points. However, it's obvious and sad that the factory folks are not boaters and have never cruised on these boats! The area below the dinette table is approximately 3'x3.5' and has a hatch to access it the size of a phone book. The hatch between the refer cabinet and the berth is almost as large and has an equally inadequate hatch door.

I was visualizing myself on my knees, with my short little arms reaching into one of these little caves. Pots and pans, etc, 18" away from my furthest reach. Come on guys! You can do better. Great storage potential, no access.

The reworking of the aft dinette seat to make a wider center aisle also gurantees that 4 people could never sit at the dinette table for dinner. The aft seat is now a one person seat.

The approximately 50% increase in price from 2006 was a shock but it just raises the value of my boat on the used market.

What happened to your C-Dory since last year?

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that jumped out at me was the change in the color stripe. It is now wider at the front and wraps all the way around the point of the bow. It used to stop on either side a ways before the point. Now I won't be able to tell a C-Dory from a Sea Sport coming towards me a mile away.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also liked the improved fit and finish of the cat. Joyce was not happy with the dinette either. In particular, she felt that now the table was too far away - e.g. if you're seated with your back against the cushion, it's quite a reach to the table.
20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have pictures of the changes to upload to the SBS album? That would be great for those of us who couldn't make it.
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger, the table dimensions may have something to do with the average shirt size of Brats
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not C-Dory related, but I was very impressed with the Ranger Tug R25. A lot of boat in a 'small" package and much better flow than the Nordic Tug 26' IMO. Now to just find that $140,000+. Laughing

I was dissapointed there were no 25' Cruisers to walk through, but none of the dealers had one so... That said, I did check out the 22' Cruiser, the Venture 26 and the Tomcat in detail & at my leisure. Both the Venture and TC were nice, but for the extra $$ they cost, the 25' will be perfect for us. Hopefully, we'll have one sometime in 2009.

Yellowstone

City/Region: White Sulphur Springs
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Farwest II
Photos: Farwest III
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comments pertain to the 22' cruiser. Improvements in the new boats IMO are (1) the larger steps for boarding - the old smaller steps were too easy to miss when boarding (2) the glass door - the older models with plywood or starboard tend to warp and rattle - will be harder to create privacy, however. (3) the self draining and flat floor - no need for floor boards (4) the aft bilge pump is located where the water goes - having the bilge pump at the bulkhead on the side never made much sense.

John

Yellowstone

City/Region: White Sulphur Springs
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Farwest II
Photos: Farwest III
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether this is an improvement. viz., removing the foam in the bow section and putting in access hatches, has to be weighed against safety issues. I was told that the regulations do not require flotation on a boat over 20'. With the foam in place, the boat would not sink IMO. Without it, (say the forward section below water was holed) I don't know. Obviously, with the foam removed or not installed, extra storage space would be gained over the older model, and it would allow for real inspection for leaks coming in from the anchor locker or improperly installed brass stems. I have often wondered about small amounts of water getting in and then freezing when stored in cold country like Montana. Whether freezing and thawing would damage the hull. It would be good to read the opinions of other C-Dory owners about this very topic.

Got into a conversation with Ben Toland at the Larkspur about flotation (and since he has forgotten more about the C-Dory construction than I will ever know) I was interested to learn from him that he or perhaps no on else has deliberately tried to sink a C-Dory - how the boat would float filled with water. Hard to get volunteers to do that. I did relate a story to him about forgetting to put the plug in on my C-Dory on Fort Peck Lake before I launched it. Friend with me thought I had & I thought he had. Anyway, we tied the boat to the dock and drove away to park the pickup and trailer. The dock wasn't very busy and upon returning, a fellow was standing there looking at my boat as asked if I had a hole in it. I thought he was being sarcastic, but when I looked down, sure enough the cockpit had water in it. But it didn't go over the door sill. We didn't hurry on back to the boat after launching. So I installed the missing plug from inside and turned on the bilge pump which took care of it. My assumption at the time was that the boat wasn't going to sink anymore because the flotation in the floor and the gas tanks had equalized everything. But there must be someone in C-Dory land who could do some calculations to either verify or reject my assumption. John
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - when a 22 is filled with water only the bow stays above water. As I recall about 3-5' stays above water and the boat "turtles" - e.g. the cabin goes under. So, the foam in the bow does keep the boat afloat, but the engines are under water, your electronics are gone and you'd wind up holding onto the bow rail if you decide to stay with the boat. So to my mind, a dinghy + good insurance is far more useful than the flotation foam in the bow.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any pictures of the changes on the new TomCat 255's ??
I'd like to see the headliner, dinette, and cabinet changes.

Thanks, John
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I was climbing onto a 25 footer, but I guess it was a Venture 26! I liked the fit and finish, but was disappointed that the "lazarettes" did not have the full waterproof covers of the earlier C-Dorys. It's always good to see the Switlik life rafts, made in Trenton, NJ. This proud company made parachutes during WWII and saved many lives.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: New Cat Reply with quote

drjohn71a wrote:
Does anyone have any pictures of the changes on the new TomCat 255's ??
I'd like to see the headliner, dinette, and cabinet changes.

Thanks, John

Me too...

I'm personally not a fan of vinyl or carpet on the walls such as with the Venture series. I'm sure it makes business sense to appeal to a wider audience of boaters accustomed to this finish. I think it's important to keep models following the original, salty finish.

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

City/Region: Port Orchard
Photos: Kitsap Marina
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt- The vinyl should eliminate some condensation issues, as it does have a foam backing. Plus I think when the boat gets abover $100K the buyer expects a little more.

But that's the beaty of having the Venture series and the Classic, we can better satisfy the desires of a wider range of buyers.

360-895-2193
(888) 293-7991
Capital Sea

City/Region: Olympia
Vessel Name: Capital Sea
Photos: Capital Sea
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing I found at the boat show was a three cup, cup holder with a pump up suction mount. A nice design and will stay where you put it on gelcoat or glass, inside or outside. No holes to drill. I suggested to the C-Dory sales guys that they should buy one and put it in one of the show boats. Blank stare.
Anyway, I am sure glad I never cut those holes for recessed cup holders.

Regarding storage: Can someone tell me if foam was placed forward of bow cut away where the porta toilet goes in 07?
I am thinking of cutting out for a large water tight hatch and finding a place for downriggers, spare prop (with padding) when not in use. My intent would be to install the hatch on the face facing aft.
I would sure hate to cut that hole only to find foam in the way.

Save our Sound!
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know when they made the switch, but the water tank used to be up in the bow. I think it was on the port side of center on the 22's. On my 2005 25 it is dead center just behind the bulkhead you are talking about cutting into. I put a large hatch there so I can see the tank level.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: