The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Electric trailer brakes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cemiii

City/Region: Alamo
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: The Last One........ III
Photos: The Last One, III
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Electric trailer brakes Reply with quote

Have they improved electric brakes enough that they are worth considering for (sometimes salt water) boat trailer consideration?

Chris
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

I see you have a 22 Angler, but the electric over hydraulic setup is great. Lots of control from the truck cab and no underwater electrical problems.

John
Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

City/Region: Port Orchard
State or Province: WA
Photos: Kitsap Marina
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll reiterate that electric over hydraulic is the way to go if you want to be able to use a cab control for the brakes.

As far as straight electric like the RV's use, I would not use them in salt water, especially since they are drum brakes and all the salt moisture gets trapped in the drum area.

For the C-Dory's usually a surge brake system with disks is the best set up.

360-895-2193
(888) 293-7991
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

Remember that for those of us who trailer to Canada, surge brakes are not legal for boat/trailer combos over approx. 6000 lbs. Electric over hydraulic is really the way to go, although more expensive. I wish the factory had researched this and I could have ordered my trailer with them. Instead, I had to do the mod myself.

With the TomCat, it is essential to keep the controller high on the trailer to avoid contact with the salt water.

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Journey On rides on a trailer with Carlisle Hydrostar Electric brakes. These, like any electric-hydraulic brake, have an actuator which replaces the surge brake master cylinder. Brake pressure is applied by the actuator pump which is activated by the controller on the truck. The rest of the braking system is the same. Sorry if you don't need this lecture, but please read on.

For the weight of the C-25, trailer and load, I feel that these brakes make the difference between an easy drive and a white knuckle tow. Also, when you back uphill, they don't automatically come on as surge brakes do. And when you back downhill, such as a launch ramp, they work swell as surge brakes don't. I'm a great believer in these brakes for a C-25 or heavier, especially if you have a 1/2 truck (or equivalent.) These brakes came stock from E-Z Loader when I bought the boat, though they weren't free.

That said, I'm not sure that they are needed on a C-22. I allow you to make that judgment.

I believe, Boris
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I most certainly must add a plug for the electric/hydraulic disc brakes. I had electric only drum brakes on my EZ Loader trailer. When they were new they were not bad in stopping the trailer loaded with my 25 CD behind my 1500 Dodge Ram. Shortly after dunking them in salt water they became much less effective. After replacing, brake shoes, and actuators a couple of times I switched them to electric/hydraulic disc brakes. What and incredible difference! Like Boris says, "the difference between white knuckles and a comfortable drive". If you trailer much, we've been towing along highway 101-1 for the last 1000 miles, you should certainly consider the benefits of electric/hydraulic.
Ron
Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

City/Region: Port Orchard
Photos: Kitsap Marina
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I should have specified-

For the C Dory 22 / 23's Surges are usually plenty.

For the bigger boats we do like electric over hydraulic. I was just making sure the original poster wasn't cofusing electric / hydraulic w/ straight electric.

FWIW- We have had King trailers design a Tomcat trailer- it allows the boat to sit about six inches lower, so should help with launching and retreiving, and electric / hydraulic is a factory option.
Capital Sea

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Capital Sea
Photos: Capital Sea
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be clear about Canada and electric breaks... am I to understand that I will have no issue towing my trip loaded 22' with surge breaks so long as I cannot find a way to bring enough junk along to top 6,000lbs?

Save our Sound!
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

Here's the quote from the regs.

Brake Requirements
All trailers and towing dollies (car dollies) must have brakes on all wheels when their GVW (trailer/dolly and load) exceeds 1,400 kg (3,086 pounds). Every trailer with brakes must have a breakaway device hooked to the trailer brake system.
Surge brakes must be used when towing a vehicle that has a gross vehicle weight (GVW) of up to and including 2,800 kg (6,173 pounds).
From 2,800 kilograms and up the towed vehicle brakes must be able to be applied by the driver of the tow vehicle.

That means a brake controller in the tow vehicle which requires electric actuation, either all electric or electric over hydraulic. Hope this helps, Roger

Capital Sea

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Capital Sea
Photos: Capital Sea
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger, your post cleared things up. Thank You.

A thought. It would be a nice addition to have FAQ's and recomendations/answers for Canada and Mexico boat and trailer travel.

Collectingt the information here can be 1/3 of the fun though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: