The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Old vs new style hulls

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bartman

City/Region: Corvallis
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: C-Vapor
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: Old vs new style hulls Reply with quote

I'm seriously looking at an '83 Angler which has the older, flat hull bottom. I'm not sure when they started with the modified V, but my question is, what are the pro's and con's of the older style hull? Are they seriously limited in chop? Are there offsetting advantages? I would appreciate feedback, but fast please, because the boat under consideration is on a short fuse.
Bartman
Corvallis
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the 1987 model that had the first newer style hull with the slight rise aft. Rather than say the older flat hulls are "seriously limited in the chop", I think it is fairer to say that they are somewhat more limited than the newer style, but not much so. Both hull designs will beat the crap out of you if you run too fast in slop. Right across from my slip at the basin there are two Anglers, owned by brothers. One is a 1985 flat bottom and the other is a 1988 with the newer design. Each of the brothers prefer the style they are running. I think it's more a matter of what they are used to. I do know that my 1987 CD22 could not beat the 1983 Angler to the fishing spot, but then, Raven Dave is pretty serious about his fishing and willing to stand a little abuse to get there.

If this boat you are looking at has everything alse you want, I don't think you would regret not letting the hull design be a deciding factor. You will be happy with either.

As for offsetting advantages, there is a bit more fishing room in the older style, because you have standing access in the aft corners of the stern. The motor well is not as wide, and there are no enclosed lazerettes in the pre-1987s.

I will let the owners of the earlier Anglers tell you the real gist of it. There are at least 30 of them listed on the Our C-Dorys list. You might want to look over the list, sort by year, and click to email or PM some of the owners if you don't get the response here soon enough for the deal you're considering.

Good luck!

jflug

City/Region: Bodega Bay
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1981
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Pescadory
Photos: Pescadory
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bartman - I have one of the original Anglers - 1981, hull # 023. I also have a friend with a 1989 Angler with the newer hull style. I'd really agree with the previous comment - if the boat is otherwise what you'd want, I wouldn't let the flat aft hull turn you away. I've ridden in both and there isn't much difference when underway. When you're sitting still or trolling, the flat walking surface, extra room, and and ability to reach the corner of the transom are really nice. The only other disadvantage I can think of is that you can't mount twin engines in the narrow transom well, and you need a bracket to mount a kicker.

I'd say the much more important consideration is just the overall condition of the hull, engine, etc.

Jim F
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: