starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny that many here, who have a lot of experience in blue water, find it dangerous to cross from Neah bay to Uclulet or Bamfield. But many many fisherman in what I would call day boats, make the run all the time to either fish off shore or stay at one of the lodges. I have talked to twenty or so guys that make the run every year to fish out of Bamfield, much better then trailering to Bamfield because of the bad road. I mean some of these guys are running 20 to 25ft sleds with jet drives. Lots of 18 to 20plus Bayliner or Olympic style fishing boats. I guess it's all about the weather. Leave early an beat the wind. I think that if these less capable boats can make it; it should not be that hard for a c-dory. That said I trailered over and drove to Uclulet to launch. That was before I talked to a lot of people about it.

A word about the road to Ucluelet. It is not a highway but in reality it is not that bad. Take it slow and be careful of large truck, motor home, camper etc.. The only reason we ran the boat back to port Albine and Susan drove the truck around was a lack of confidence in the 95 rangers pulling ability and my wife’s ability to worry years off her own life about non issuse's of safety. Oh and the drive is gorgeous lakes and mountains and wonderful view's all around.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
I don't think it i so much that some of us think it is "dangerous" but in assesing the experience level (no disrespect intended or implied) of the person who asked the question, it is a trip which can be difficult if the weather kicks up. A less experienced person (and I apologize if there is more experience in blue water than I assume), would have less experience in making the determination as to what would be safe, and in how to handle heavy weather. There is also the possibility of souring an owner and his mate on boating as a result of a difficult crossing.

I have gone across the straits a number of times in boats from 22 to 46 feet, and know that it can be rougher than a novice would want to be in. On the other hand, if I wanted to cruise this area specifically, I would go across. If one had the time, starting at the North end of Vancouver and running down the West Coast would be a great trip. Yes, we did see some bayliners in the 25 to 28 foot size who had come up from Neah bay, but this was the exception of boats on the West Coast. In 6 weeks on the West coast we only had one day when we didn't move because of weather, but we were in a 46 foot boat, designed to cross oceans. There were more days when I would be reluctant to do a trip in the C Dory. Personally I have opted every time to take the boat to Vancouver on its own bottom from the Olympic peninsula, but have had to wait out weather several times. (May thru August has been the time frame). There are many who have far more experience in these waters than I do.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My attempt at humor was that the more experience= caution and less=risk. It's just what you are use too I think. Case in point, a close relation of mine, that will not be named Susan, we will call her Bob , Bob will not allow me to run from Neah bay to Ucluelet but will make the run from Victoria to Bellingham( a longer distance) because we have done it several times. So if you are use to going off shore in a small boat its not a big deal, may not be smart but no big deal.
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Horseshoe bay is a nice ferry to Nanaimo but there is a large city called Vancouver between us and it. Ron (Meander) claims there is a simple way through, and that may be true but so far I have failed to find it and the result is quite a lot of heavy traffic misery so for us, it's Tsawassen.

Merv,Merv,Merv,
You just have to follow my directions to avoid all that traffic hassle of Vancouver. Cross at the truck crossing. Once across the border just stay on that highway for about 20k until you see the signs for the #1 freeway. Get on #1 going west, and stay on it until Horseshoe Bay.So simple and straight forward even a transplanted Britisher can follow the route. Twisted Evil

If however you insist on following highway 99 which leads from the Peace Arch crossing you'll end up in street level Vancouver with all the fun that ensues from that choice. Can't help with the cost of the ferries though. There is no way around the cost if you want to ride one.

Ron
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron,
I hear you but we were doing it from the Horses other end. Sorry I mean Horseshoe bay after trailering down from Telegraph, going to Duke point to find it cancelled and rushing through down-town Nanaimo all after 3 peacefull weeks in the Broughtons. Quite a culture shock being back in "civilization".

When you get off the ferry you it's like the start of a Grand Prix. You are surrounded by other maniacs, campers trucks etc. and are looking for a road that you have never seen before.

Result is that you cross Lions gate bridge in about a 40 Kt cross wind and following the instructions of the lady in the little talking box on the dash, you end up in the canyons of downtown at rush hour.
Logically, in order to avoid crushing too many of those funny little cars driven by people from all over the world,pedestrians, drunks, parked cars etc. you stay towards the centre lane which is where you find youself jammed at the point where the voice from hell tells you to turn right at the diversion sign.

It went even further downhill from there but we made it. It's a shame really because I like Vancouver but there was no way to stop.

Don't worry we will try it again. Very Happy

Have you reached the promised land yet ?

Cheers,

Merv

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: