Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mwilson

City/Region: missoula
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: STORMY
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: cruising and fishing in Canada Reply with quote

Anyone want to take a shot at explaining what a person needs to do to cruise from US to canada to spend some time at a place like Bamfield?
Can arrangements be made over I-net? I'm assuming one must stop somewhere for customs, and again coming back to US.
I'm thinking of leaving from Port Angeles, Would another place be more practical from a customs point of view?
Would it be easier to drive and trailer a boat?

thanks for any advice , tips michael
NewMoon

City/Region: Holladay
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Cindy Sea
Photos: Cindy Sea
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on how much time you have to wait for weather, you might be better off to take the ferry from Tsawwassen to Nanaimo, or Anacortes to Sidney, then tow over to Port Alberni or Ucluelet.

Traveling via the strait of Juan de Fuca can be a real challenge, with strong winds especially in the afternoon and tough sledding especially if the tide is ebbing into a west wind. Sometimes going early in the day can avoid much of this, but small craft warnings in Juan de Fuca often go on for days in a row.

For crossing the border you don't need to make arrangements in advance, except: Have passports for all on board, and don't bring a bunch of prohibited items. Here's a link:

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/rc4161-eng.html#P007

If you're not settled on Barkley Sound, you could also launch at Gold River (Nootka Sound), or even up north at Coal Harbour (Quatsino Sound). If you're not settled on the west coast of Vancouver Island, you could head up to Telegraph Cove or Port McNeill and cruise/fish the Broughtons and Queen Charlotte Strait.

Cindy Sea (CD 22 Cruiser, from 1991 to 1998)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
Brooks Cooper

City/Region: Camas
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: Coop's Cruiser
Photos: Coop's Cruiser
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the other post. After towing a boat to Canada for the last 20 years straight. It is very easy to make ferry reservations online for trip planning. I assume you are towing your boat from Montana, going through the Blaine truck port would be the quickest to the ferries. Don't forget your passports and NO GUNS!!!!!! Canadians are super freaks about that item.

Once on Vancouver Island the sky's the limit. It's all on how far you want to go and how much fuel you want to buy. West coast or inside passage take your pick. Do your homework on fishing area's and regulations be sure you check them before you leave they tend to change them allot.

Enjoy your trip it is truly beautiful up there.

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 ea further questions:

First, which ferry is the cheapest between the mainland and Vancouver Isle? I've been looking at the cost, and for 60' the cost approaches $200, one way. Have I misread the fares? There are 3 terminals: Pt Townsend, Anacortes and Vancouver (Horseshoe Bay.) Which is best and what is a reasonable charge?

Second, where can I find a list of the launch ramps on Vancouver Isle? Calling hasn't worked so far.

Boris
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Port Townsend is not a terminal for travel to Vancouver island. You may be thinking of Port Angeles, from which a private car ferry (MV COHO) goes to Victoria. The COHO is a good ferry and often used. Alas, $200 sounds about right. It is very expensive until one considers the cost of driving the boat the same distance.

The Canadian magazine "Pacific Yachting" (a very good read) publishes a free "Boater's Blue pages" marina guide that is widely available up this way and certainly everywhere in BC. It may be a good place to start.

Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check also the pricing of WA ferries vs Canadian. We found that the Canadian ferries offered really good pre-season rates from Tsawassen to Nanaimo. If you are going North on Vancouver Island then Nanaimo is excellent as the ferry dock leads you directly to the main freeway. (Ignore what your GPS tells you or you will end up downtown - and it's narrow!)

The Coho goes to Victoria which is a great place but you will have to tow your boat through the traffic.

Anacortes to Sidney (if it continues to run Angry ) can be expensive and you will have to drive almost back to Victoria before you go North.

Horseshoe bay is a nice ferry to Nanaimo but there is a large city called Vancouver between us and it. Ron (Meander) claims there is a simple way through, and that may be true but so far I have failed to find it and the result is quite a lot of heavy traffic misery so for us, it's Tsawassen.

One other comment about the Blaine crossing. It has been in a state of "modification" for a while and this can lead to some very narrow traffic lanes with Jersey barriers. The truck crossing may be a better option.

On the Island, the freeway is excellent to Campbell River. Thereafter it is a very well maintained 2 lane road through the mountains (and associated weather) to Telegraph Cove, (Good launch and place to park rig) Port MacNeill (good launch, shopping and marina, fuel etc) or Port Hardy (good launch and you can leave rig in marina storage if you arrange for it).
Check Roger (Dreamer)'s album on Broughtons last year. Lots of things to do and see.

Merv

Brooks Cooper

City/Region: Camas
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: Coop's Cruiser
Photos: Coop's Cruiser
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep prices are right, Cry don't forget you are also overheight that costs even more. Laughing Boat ramps are available but they all charge you a fee for launching and storage. I would shoot for tsawassen it's the easiest to get to although Horseshoe bay isn't bad early in the mourning. I would always try to catch to first ferry out in the mourning.
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done the Nanaimo ferry the last 2 years with Checkpoint II and recommend it Launched at Port Alberni, and run the inlet to Bamfield. Two of us get a motel (Bamfield Trails) as a place to recoup, since we fish hard all day. (see photos in my album)

This year we are renting/driving a class-A motorhome and staying at Poet Nook. We are towing my friends big Trophy, and plan on running offshore for Halibut.

I am sure Ken on CAVU will chime in with more information. Want time frame are you planning?

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
Grumpy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now BC ferries are in a 33% off mode. (Don't see that in WA!) but in early season look for the "Coast Saver" fares. From memory we paid about $135 for Tsawassen - Nanaimo in June and we are 57ft and overheight. (the boat and trailer that is Shocked )

I am surprised you were looking at 60ft with a CD25 since we are about 30ft overall with the RF making 57ft with a short bed Chevvy.

The overheight can play in your favor. The customs at Blaine were so worried that I was about to take down their whole new shiny canopy that they just assigned me a spotter and waved me through. They had no clue as to what their clearance was.

The ferry lanes will assume that you have the skills of a 18 wheeler truck driver and some of the employees take a fiendish delight in asking you to go places that will have you "puckered". It's the only form of amusement they have. Rather like sitting in a marina with a big wind or cross current and watching... Twisted Evil

all good fun,

Merv
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fee on the Coho from Port Angeles to Victoria, is $4.25 a linleal foot for vehicles over 18 feet (I believe this includes the driver)-Passenger is additional, as is the reservation.

Port Angeles is a customs clearance port, but it is shared with the ferry and airport. There is a local phone number to call. Ucluelet and Bamfield have been listed as clearance ports in the past, and you might want to check to see if they are next summer.

We have always crossed the Straits of San Juan De Fuca in the 22 or 25, but wait for a good day. We also stay in Sequim with friends who overlook the straits, and there are some mighty rough days, when spray goes over the bow of large ships.

If I was going by boat, you could go directly to Victoria, spend a day or so there, then go around the Island, watching the weather. I agree that the ferry may be a much wiser choice. There are fun harbors which are about 20 miles apart, but this is the open Pacific Ocean, and it can get rough if the wind is blowing. If you want to go by boat all of the way, consider Neah Bay, to Bamfield--about 50 miles, and we have met a couple of small boats which have done this on calm days. (We have also checked back into the US (with Nexus pass) at Neah Bay, but there is no official customs there.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
blackfish

City/Region: saltair
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: raincoast
Photos: Raincoast
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your best bet for a BC ferry would be Tsawassen _ duke point
duke point is on the south side of Nanaimo
you bypass the downtown core, four lane highway north
departure bay - Horseshoe Bay is downtown Nanaimo not bad some tight turns but the border to horseshoe Bay is a long haul through Vancouver.

the ferry from port Angeles -Victoria is nice, you get your own border crossing ferry traffic only
but you arrive downtown Victoria its not to bad, I've hauled our 22ft on that ferry but I'm a local and know the roads.

one more thing the duke point run has reduced fares most of the time

dave
Grumpy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
Just to avoid confucious Confused the Nanaimo (downtown) terminal for Horseshoe Bay (Mainland BC) is Departure Bay. and it can be very confusing if you are on the highway coming South after a wonderful trip.
Duke point is the departure for Tsawassen, which is South of Vancouver.

Even if you get it right. Mother nature will win. We arrived at Duke point for our ferry last year only to find out it was cancelled so we had to truck back downtown in a hurry to get the crossing from Departure Bay to Horseshoe. Quite memorable. blowing 30+ Kts from SW, nobody out there but one lonely sailboat and the Canadian Navy. Then to arrive after 3 weeks of tranquility in the Broughtons, to downtown Vancouver traffic, across Lions Gate Bridge in gale force winds (Including shredded tree parts) following GPS which ended up with us in the middle of downtown, 3 lanes out with the GPS saying " Turn right NOW" with two lanes of Kamikasi young people in Hondas smaller than our outboards packed in around us showing no visible signs of intentions.

Yup, we made it and after about 40 minutes we found orselves passing the very familiar Tsawassen terminal at which point I said several rude things about our good friend Ron. (He has since been forgiven)

TSAWASSEN For ever..

Merv
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to point out that you can take guns into canada and that thousands of hunters do every year. You just cant take hand guns and you must have the right paper work in advance. Whether you need one or not is a personal choice. I like to hunt and fish and if I can do both on the same trip that would be great.

P.S. I stand corrected by the nice link in one of the other post above.
Quote:
As a visitor, you may temporarily import restricted firearms and non-restricted firearms, such as pistols or revolvers, provided you get Form CAFC 679, Application for an Authorization to Transport Restricted Firearms and Prohibited Firearms in advance from a chief firearms officer of the province or territory to which you are importing a restricted firearm.

looks as if you can bring your hand gun as long as you have the right paper work.

Last edited by starcrafttom on Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really depends on what time of year you plan on going but the Strait Juan de Fuca is not that bad for much of the summer. For most of July and August, 4 days out of 5 are pretty good especially earlier in the day. For Ucelet, I still think that trailering to Neah Bay and departing from there is the fastest, cheapest and easiest way to get there in July/August. You MIGHT have to wait a day or two if the weather is bad, but it's easy to drive to Neah Bay and the launch there is pretty good. If you have to stay a day or two, the moorage is well protected and there's a few things worth doing in Neah Bay to keep you busy (hike Cape Flattery, visit the Makah Museum, walk along the beach in Makah bay).
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Even more fun would be to go over the top of Vancouver Isle and work your way down. Was going to do that 2 years ago, but the Canadian weather service kept predicting 30 knt winds in Johnson Strait, and I never got further than Desolation Sound. Turns out they only predicted them, reality was somewhat different.

Also came out the strait to Neah Bay, turned left and sailed down to San Diego. It is a lovely place.

Now lets get back to reality. If I want to cruise the west coast of Vancouver Isle, I'm gonna drive there. While I live in a democracy, my vote isn't always the same as the other vote.

Boris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: