The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

cockpit jump seat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: cockpit jump seat Reply with quote

I'd like to add a small, removable or hinged, jumpseat to the cockpit of our 16 footer. Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marty,
Like some other folks, I installed these two Garelick jump seats on the MOOSE. Since the initial installation, I've added additional sets of brackets on the bulkhead to allow for raising of the seat for additional storage space underneath or to attain a higher vantage when fishing. The seats are easy to remove and aid in climbing down into the cockpit.
Al

Capital Sea

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Capital Sea
Photos: Capital Sea
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

West Marine sells the basic jump seat and the Mfg. also makes a ladder which uses the same mounting plates. (they do not list the brackets as compatable cuz they sell more seats that way) I have two seats and can locate them at four places, three outside and one inside.
As you know, flat solid surfaces are in short supply for inside. On my 22, I was able to mount a 1X8 piece of mahogany over the top of the water tank access door so it is removable with a little work. You will have to router out the back for the hinges. I used stainless 5/8" lag bolts (from the back)and recessed nuts from the front (shelf item at west marine) to secure the board to the door frame at the top and sides. I ordered the seats and ladder brackets on line for less. This gave me a secure surface to mount the brackets on and a section of 2/4 cedar placed under the overhang at the floor made the base brace and bracket align on the same plain. In my case the door serves as a back support for a 4th passenger inside for winter trips. In summer the same location allows forward or backward facing seating from under the roof.

Have fun. I did.

Save our Sound!
Capital Sea

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al, do I see a latch between the door and the seat leg? I have held back one set of brackets as result of the door delema. My door is glass so a bit more limiting. Still, what did you use and how is it working? Do you end up with a desirable place to sit behind the door? Do you run with the door that way or do you avoid the stress on the hinges, or is stress not an issue?
Holes are like Paul Mason wine in my book. I drill no hole before its time.
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a second latch from WM and pop-riveted it on to the seat leg. We often run with the door open and latched in that manner and I don't think it puts any undue stress on anything. And Myrna will sit back there and watch the trolling rods while we're fishing to balance my weight at the helm. I would think you could glue one side of the latch to your glass door with 5200 or the like.
Al
dotnmarty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's real nice, but pricey, $193 at WM. On second thought, Garelick makes good stuff so we just might go for it. (I wish they made a junior model for little boats.) Thanks very much for the info and the pictures.

MartyP
Capital Sea

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do much better on the internets than at WM.
SGIDave

City/Region: St. George Island
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: Seadation - SOLD 09/2013
Photos: SeaDation
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: GArelick Jumpseat Reply with quote

I bought mine at Boatersworld.com. Their current price is 189.99 with gimbal and 184.99 without gimbal. Look here (http://www.boatersworld.com/product/166481093msk.htm).

I mounted it in the cockpit on the starboard bulkhead. Very comfortable, solid seating - we like it better than the folding chairs we use.

/david
dotnmarty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm gonna get one, but which one? What does the gimble do? Thanks guys.
SGIDave

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gimbal is for steadying the butt end of the fishing rod whilst you crank in a whopper. This makes the seat into a sort of 'fighting chair' for those that fish for the big ones...so I don't actually need a gimbal on my seat Wink
dotnmarty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGIDave wrote:
The gimbal is for steadying the butt end of the fishing rod whilst you crank in a whopper. This makes the seat into a sort of 'fighting chair' for those that fish for the big ones...so I don't actually need a gimbal on my seat Wink

OK, one last question. How long can that 45 degree support bracket be extended? In other words, how high can the seat be placed? With two artificial knees, Dotty has difficulty get up from a low seat.Thanks again for all your help.

A search of the Garelick site indicates a maximum height of 24 inches.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also make benches or jump seats out of plywood or starboard, and attach them to the cockpit combing with a piano hinge and keep them supported by fold down or screw on legs. They can fold down out of the way if necessary.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Capital Sea

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the seat hight is right at 24", 22" when you are on it, the bracket hight is 21" or so. I do not think you will find it hard to get out of for this reason. The leg runs back to the mounting wall so as you go to stand up you get to have your feet all the way under the front of the chair with no obstructions there. A camp chair for instance would be much harder save for arm rests to push on.
Also if you want a gimbal and we are going to be at the same place, I will give you one, never opened.
SGIDave

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The maximum seat height you quote from the Garelick sight sounds about right. The instructions for the seat tell you to cut the tube to the appropriate length such that the seat is level at whatever height you've mounted it. My seat is mounted so that the top of the seat cushion is about 18 inches above the deck. This required me to nibble off at least 6-8 inches from the 45 degree leg supplied with the seat.

Seat height will be uncomfortable for most people if you can't sit with your feet flat on the floor; the seat cushion will soon feel like it's digging into the back of your unsupported thighs...YMMV...Certainly mount your seat at the height you deem best for your situation. Maybe a small stool could act as a footrest to give thigh support for your 'shorter legged' passengers (like me).

/david
Capital Sea

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, will it is true, the Drew's are tall. Still, you only get one chance to have the full intended height. If you cut the legs, you are stuck with that choice. I find we use the seats in two ways. First is slid all the way back with a boat cushion against the bulkhead as a seat back (if you have a square certified throw cushion and tick one corner between the back of the seat and bulkhead it will stay there). Second, when fishing you tend to perch on the edge which is stable and comfortable.

In the end though, and with the 16, the limiting factor will be available surface for the mounting plates. One of the best qualities about these seats if they can be mover around and removed all together We have installed brackets in the aft corners where the seat can be sat upon sideways. On nice days this tends to be the most popular seat running or adrift. The fiberglass lip above the gas tank valance is correct in terms of the full height. A brace at the base between the valance and the tank creates solid support for the base of the seat's legs.

Anyway, the first thing I would do is identify every surface where I might want the seat, note the mounting limitations and then select a seat height that gives you the most flexibility. With two seats, I toyed with the idea of two separate heights, but chose to keep them all the same.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: