Chester

City/Region: home
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooks Cooper, I know you are frustrated with your Wallace but have you considered their newer, more reliable, updated model? With minor modifications to the countertop it will in the same cutout as the origional.
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Boat heaters Reply with quote

Warren,
We have a standard butane stove that came with the boat. I will probably get some sort of small barbie type thing for the cockpit. I'm trying to keep things simple. I carry a generator so we use a electric perkalator for coffee and hot water which is quick and no fumes to deal with. I carry a small electric heater for use before bed and the mornings currently. I have the generator plugged into the shore power and just use the outlets that are in the boat. I liked the compactness of an Airtronic D2 as it will go under the sink area. This way we should not have any burn victims if the grand children should be around. If I had not read so much - about the Wallas I might have sprung for one of them. This way instead of a Wallas I can have a heater and radar for 3k instead of just a Wallas that I would be second guessing all the time.
D.D.
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wallas D-30 units can be fitted with an electronic control panel which gives you (amongst other things) two options:-
1. You can set the cabin temperature in which case it varies output to suit.(Not sure if it cycles Off/On)
2. You can set the burn level. For nightime use we have found that you set it to min with a window cracked and that is perfect as you have minimum noise and it is constant.

Expensive... YES
Temperamental... Not so much as the stovetop units. It seems that all of them have to go back to ScanMarine and be argued about for a bit. After that they usually work.

Merv

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hydraunic heaters work fine, but you have to have a boiler system. The boiler systems are complex and expensive. I don't see an outboard of any size as being a good heat source for these hydraunic heaters. The lines in the outboard are small, and the water pumps are set up to push the water only over relitatively short distances.

We had a hydraunic neater, similar to the Heater Craft unit, that Dave pictured, and it worked great--with a 45,000 BTU boiler--and both radiant copper pipes and 4 of these small heaters with fans, in a much larger boat. The boiler unit sounded like a jet plane when it fired up (air compressor to atomize the fuel, forced draft on the buner and exhaust, as well as circulating water pump.). I don't see this as being practical in a 16 to 25 foot boat. The hot air units are far simpler. With an inboard engine, the "red dot" like car heaters work fine, and you can heat the boat well--again, not sure that an outboard can be set up to accomidate that easily.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
amy and karl

City/Region: Graham
Vessel Name: C-DAISY
Photos: C-DAISY
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Espar Airtronic D2 Reply with quote

I can recommend the Airtronic d-2 by Espar. It has worked flawlessly since last spring when we put it in. We ran it for nearly two weeks straight on our Discovery Coast trip as well as many weekends with no problems with function or noise keeping us awake at night. It has plenty of heat for a 22 and would have no problem heating a 25. We only wish this would have been a factory option. If you are seriously considering it all I can say is we would do it again absolutely.

Karl on C-Daisy
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl is that heater thermostatically controlled like Barry's? I know we will be looking for an upgrade once we get serious about cruising...Meredith DOES NOT enjoy beind cold and being toasty and warm would make it easier to convince her summer isn't the ONLY cruising season up here.
amy and karl

City/Region: Graham
Vessel Name: C-DAISY
Photos: C-DAISY
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: D-2 Reply with quote

Hey Mark,

Our kit came with what's called a mini controller. It works like a thermostat. You choose a setting and the heater maintains that setting. The heater does cycle between outputs to maintain the setting. It really heats our 22 very well. Hope that helps.

Karl
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it does, Karl. Thanks. Looking @ options.
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Boat heaters Reply with quote

dave deem wrote:
Warren,
We have a standard butane stove that came with the boat. I will probably get some sort of small barbie type thing for the cockpit. I'm trying to keep things simple. I carry a generator so we use a electric perkalator for coffee and hot water which is quick and no fumes to deal with. I carry a small electric heater for use before bed and the mornings currently. I have the generator plugged into the shore power and just use the outlets that are in the boat. I liked the compactness of an Airtronic D2 as it will go under the sink area. This way we should not have any burn victims if the grand children should be around. If I had not read so much - about the Wallas I might have sprung for one of them. This way instead of a Wallas I can have a heater and radar for 3k instead of just a Wallas that I would be second guessing all the time.
D.D.

Dave

Who makes the heater in your boat?

Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Boat heaters Reply with quote

Brent wrote:
Who makes the heater in your boat?

I'm not Dave but he told us earlier in the thread:

dave deem wrote:
I'm going to go with the Airtronic D-2 heater which are available from a number of places, I have just bought one from Interstate Power Systems 8200 North Fairmont Street Davenport, Iowa 563 388 9988 Nick is the contact. Current price was $975 plus 15 dollars for shipping.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
BrentB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Warren

I didnt know until now the Airtonic used diesel as the fuel source

on edit
Will-C

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Boat heaters Reply with quote

Brent,
If you go back to my post in about the middle of page two of this thread there are all the spec's I think it's actually called an Airtronic D 2 by Espar. I have ordered it . I'll do pictures in my album once I get it installed. I believe someone has pictures of an installed Airtronic D2 in their C-Dory. I just don't remember who. I had made a decision to buy one a year ago. All the planets just got lined up correctly so I just now pulled the trigger.
D.D.
BrentB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave

I forgot to read the full message, my mistake
What make of butane stove are you using?
Will-C

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Boat heaters Reply with quote

Brent,
I'll have to look at it. It is the standard one C-Dory supplied. My boat for some reason didn't have one and Mark from Wefing's had one laying around so they put it in the boat at no charge. Could not argue about the price. It might be a Kenyon. I have to check on my baby this weekend I'll look at it and let you know. It takes those standard cannisters. It works like a champ. We have not cooked any 7 course meals on it. Replacement cannisters are cheap. They say they won't work well when subjected to temps in the twenties but then again I don't either. I plan for longer trips to have peanut butter and jelly, crackers and eat granola, trail mix, breakfast cereal like Kashi as they are light and don't require refrigeration or ice. I always want to be able to cook a fish should one commit suicide. Coffee is a must and we carry both a four cup percolator that we run off a generator or if we have shore power. The stove is there for hot water tea or those little instant coffee bags which are not bad. Some folks use a little pot that works off 120 volt. I think they bought them at Bed Bath and Beyond. They use them to heat soup hot water they are real fast and compact. I'm fighting the cockpit barbie thing but some day I can see it happening. I don't want the look like my boat was magnetic and was drug though West Marine and everything they had just stuck to it. Sorry for the rant!
D.D.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use a portable Kenyon butane stove for quick heating of water or when we want to cook in the cockpit. Also, if it's really hot out and we don't want the additional heat in the cabin, the Kenyon works well.

To date (and I'm just sure this will put a hex on it), our Wallas has only failed once and that was due to a battery problem, not something wrong with the Wallas. In fact, when I called Scan Marine, they talked me through diagnosing the problem and with a few moments told me it was likely the battery. I couldn't believe it since I had recently changed out the batteries... sure enough, we had one battery with a bad cell.

It's not always easy to find the canisters for the Kenyon, btw.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: