View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brooks Cooper

City/Region: Camas
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Coop's Cruiser
Photos: Coop's Cruiser
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Boat heaters Reply with quote

Just a question. Has anyone installed or is familiar with the Airtronic diesel heater? I'm thinking of putting one on Coop's Cruiser since my recently repaired wallas P.O.S. stove took another dump. I refuse to keep having it repaired again and again and again etc. For the cost of repairing it I can put in this heater.
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fireguy,

You might try Barry (Colobear) on C-Cakes. I belive he is very satisfied with his.

We had "issues" with the Wallas stovetop on our CD22 until we had it completely re-built by Scan Marine but even then it was not a perfect heater and not a perfect cooktop although it is a very compact solution for a small boat.

On our RF246 we went with the Wallas D30 which is very similar to the Espar unit you are considering and I have been working outside on the boat during our PNW "deep freeze" (all things are relative) with it running at about 50% or less. So far (12 months) this unit has been 100% reliable, probably because it is much closer to Wallas's basic product expertise.

If you fit suitable ducting, the forced air units get over the problem of cold spots in the berth or cabin without needing additional fans.

Merv

colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Webasto heater, installed by Les Lampman, and am quite satisfied. Not a single hiccup in performance entering its fourth year of service; it is thermostatically controlled with ducted air.

However, two aspects may give some people pause. First, it is (I think) a drip system and when the diesel/kerosene/kleen-heat is "dripped" or injected there is a regular ticking noise, not loud but apparent, about like a clock ticking. Second Since it is forced air it has a blower and the blower can be noisy; again, not too loud but noticeable. Having said that, I would install it again. it is reliable with different fuels, trouble-free, and effective.

Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Sorry Barry, my mispeak, I forgot yours was a Webasto. Must be the fog!
Still that raises two more options for Fireguy to consider.

Getting cabin fever. May break out and go if the sun shines as predicted.

Merv
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my workshop I have a Toyotomi heater.....and I see that they have one for boats... and it is less expensive... mine does a great job...

On the Intercoastal.... up a bayou we met Ed Thieme aboard Rambler....he lives on his 25 cruiser for a year...then a year in Colorado...what the life... He had a Dickerson heater running...neat... mounted it to the wall of the bathroom.... it had the cabin toasty.... and the neat part was looking at the fire... we had coffee and he gave us a book he had just finished reading.....we spent a hour visiting then on down the Intercoastal we went....

Joel
SEA3PO
seabeagle

City/Region: Farmington Hills
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Beagle II - Sold 4-19-12
Photos: Sea Beagle II
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've put a small radiant propane model in our 16 that works great but, I've dreamed of tapping into the hot water that comes from the pee-hole on my Honda 50 and piping it to a heater core with fan inside.

http://www.youtube.com/SeaBeagleII
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another propane you might consider is a Mr. Buddy Heater. Just remember to crack a window. It does fine on our 16 footer and costs around $75.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I promised that I wouldn't do it but I have to. I would say that in any situation that you have a propane heater inside a boat where it is not vented to the outside world, one needs to buy the 1500 dollar option that doesn't come with them: Radar as your windows are going to be so dang foggy you aren't going to be able to see where you are going......But, hey I have used one too. No sweat.....it is on the glass......
seabeagle

City/Region: Farmington Hills
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Beagle II - Sold 4-19-12
Photos: Sea Beagle II
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first looked at the Buddy heater but was afraid that it would tip over and didn't see a secure way to mount it. We got the Mr. Heater for $25.00 on sale and I adapted it to my grill mount. It can also function as a stove. I got my idea from something similar that oldgrowth of C-Voyager made (below). And it does get good ventilation when we are under way. A window cracked open and the gaps around the camperback. We also got a Garmin radar as well.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My usual warning about using the propane unvented heaters (even catalytic) and CO applies to any of these heaters. Deaths have been reported. You need ventillation and good CO detectors.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Capital Sea

City/Region: Olympia
Vessel Name: Capital Sea
Photos: Capital Sea
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, that CO falls to the floor like invisible water and fills up the boat till it spills over the lowest side wall. On my 22 this is several inches above the bed, though the boat does have a CO detector.

Save our Sound!
Tortuga

City/Region: Ventura
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Photos: Tortuga
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capital Sea wrote:
Yup, that CO falls to the floor like invisible water and fills up the boat till it spills over the lowest side wall. On my 22 this is several inches above the bed, though the boat does have a CO detector.

Most CO detector manufacturers recommend placing the CO detector above -- near the ceiling. Is it different in a boat? The clip below is an example:

"When considering where to place a carbon monoxide detector, keep in mind that although carbon monoxide is roughly the same weight as air (carbon monoxide's specific gravity is 0.9657, as stated by the EPA; the National Resource Council lists the specific gravity of air as one), it may be contained in warm air coming from combustion appliances such as home heating equipment. If this is the case, carbon monoxide will rise with the warmer air. For this reason, the makers of First Alert®, a leading brand in carbon monoxide detector technology, suggests mounting the detector on the ceiling. This also puts the detector out of the way of potential interference, such as pets or curious children."
(http://www.homesafe.com/coalert/detect.htm)

See also:

"INSTALLING A CO DETECTOR: A FEW CONSIDERATIONS
One reason that ABYC may have been slow to recommend the use of CO detectors may be their reputation in the past for emitting unnerving false alarms periodically. You could almost count on a CO detector made prior to 1992, the older "single point" alarms, to sound whenever they detected even the slightest trace of CO. Since a whiff or two of CO is likely to drift into a cabin several times a day, the frequent alarms were an ongoing nuisance. After 1992, however, manufacturers began making more technically advanced units that use "time-weighted averaging" to greatly reduce the number of alarms. By averaging the CO over a period of a few minutes, these newer alarms will not sound unless they repeatedly detect CO. Some of the newer units can even do things like disengage the generator if CO is detected. A proper marine CO detector, incidentally, will have the UL 1524 marine mark, which means it was tested by Underwriters Laboratories standard 1524.

ABYC does not say where on the boat a CO detector should be located. The gas, which is about the same weight as oxygen, tends to dissipate evenly in an area and isn't any more likely to be found up near the ceiling or down by the cabin sole. As a practical matter, placing an alarm at eye level allows you to easily monitor any meters or warning lights on a unit. Sleeping areas, main saloons, an enclosed fly-bridge, and anywhere else people spend time are candidates for a CO detector. Areas that should be avoided include near hatches or doors where fresh air might distort readings. Dead air spaces-corners-should also be avoided."
(http://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/course_re-write/carbonmonoxide.html)

Capital Sea

City/Region: Olympia
Vessel Name: Capital Sea
Photos: Capital Sea
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be clear, I see my job as being the guy who puts out bad information with the intent that we all pass the final together.
Sheeesh! I was given that load of bull when I purchased my camp trailer.
Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

City/Region: Port Orchard
Photos: Kitsap Marina
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not the only one with that information Capital Sea- as a number of people questioned the location of the CO detectors on the new C-Dorys (Dories?) at the Seattle Boat Show, and I too though CO settled at the bottom of the boat.

Now I know!

360-895-2193
(888) 293-7991
Overload

City/Region: Leavenworth, WA-n-Hope, Alaska
Vessel Name: Lil' Brother
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fireguy,

Following the lead of Barry on C-Cakes, I asked Les to install a Webasto on my boat during fitting as well. But since I had the new moulded interior it would not fit as well, so he made a change. I have a Wallas 30D Heater with ducted air. Yes, I know you are probably fed up with Wallace, but I've had no problems with this furnace and it will drive you out of the cabin in short order. It is not thermostatically controlled, but is on/off with three fan speeds so we have to be the thermostat. I am really pleased with the perfrormance...............so far.

My $.02 worth and Good Luck!

Doug DeVore
Lil' Brother
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: