View previous topic :: View next topic  
helm

City/Region: Medford
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Chack Chack
Photos: Chack Chack
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Calculating hull form constant for C-Dory 25 Reply with quote

I am hoping that some of you with good data can use this calculator to come up with the hull factor for the C-Dory 25 - http://continuouswave.com/cgi-bin/crouchcalc.pl - we are using it to help determine the proper prop pitch for our CD 25 when we repower this spring.
Thanks
Eric
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I inputted 3000lbs, 90hp, and a top speed of 28 mph and I got a hull factor of 161.7.

So what can I do with this info?

marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good information on this site for determining prop pitch, type and size http://propgods.com/content/index.aspx On edit I see you've already been there.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Day Eric! Interesting site particuarly with some of the talk on what some call semi-displacement hull types.

Back to your prop pic...and repower. I guess we need to figure out which motor you go with first due to gear ratios and other factors being different on the motors these days. Figure you are going 4 stroke....

Then, looking at your post a bit... seeing the 6 week trip last summer on your boat, you may want at least two props. One for "light loads"...and another different pitch for "heavy/cruise loaded" loads. Sorry about the double load there....but sort of fits the topic.

I know several of our 25 owners have tried several prop set ups... some better than others. One thing that does seem constant, is those who mount a Permatrim gizmo....sure are glad they did...but then....that in itself is an entirely different link....and has also been beat to death and brought back to life a time or two....

I always have enjoyed owning two props for each motor... One for light, one for heavy...and only takes about 10-15 minutes to swap out, but, go ahead and buy the extra small parts that will fall thru your fingers when they are in the cold water.....or, deep water changing the prop. I mean, who really changes the props while we have the boat on the trailer on dry land anymore Mr. Green

Hope to travel in the NE a bit more in 09. Last Dance (Terry) brought me bye the canals a few times by road in 08....just to wet my wondering lust.

Good luck.

Byrdman

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know the weight, which is somewhat variable, I used 6000 for a guess.
And know the top speed, which is very variable and based on conditions. I used 28 and rippled water, best possible conditions.
And use my existing HP, which is a known, 150HP, I get a hull factor of 177.1.
You can compare that to the scale and see where you fit in. However the top speed is dependent on the prop specs and the water conditions. If at WOT you are at the recommended rpms then you would have a meaningful number for the hull factor.
But I am not at all sure what knowing the hull factor gets you. How does it help with prop selection. Or am I missing something here.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
helm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are going from a Suzuki DF 140 to a Suzuki DF 200. I scanned through the CD-25's listed under "our C-Dorys" and didn't see any one running the DF 200.
The rigging should be straightforward for the motor but we could find little information about prop selection. I asked Ken at propgods for advice and part of the information he wanted was the hull constant calculation - when I find out how that helps him I will post it here.
As Patrick noted we do run heavy and with the 140 had to use a 3-13.5-15 prop to get to get around 6000 rpm at WOT.
It would be great if a few more people could run their numbers on the hull constant calculator and I will send the numbers of to Ken.
http://continuouswave.com/cgi-bin/crouchcalc.pl
Thanks
Eric
marvin4239

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric using 3225 pounds as a weight for my 22 with my 90HP Suzuki my hull factor comes to 173.6. I think this weight is pretty close and my top speed is 29 mph. I'm still scratching my head about what use this is. I guess you can determine top speed for a repower once you know hull factor.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it helps, I came up with 166.7.

C-Dory 25, with a 135 Honda, 6000 pounds, 25 mph.
helm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once we can determine the projected top speed in mph with the higher horsepower engine then we can use this calculator http://www.propgods.com/content/prop_calculators.aspx to determine the new propeller pitch.
Eric
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric

what is you repower motor of choice.

there could be about 2 dozen folks with that motor and the same boat who may be able to get some no "shuks" this is what I have tried....in the water loaded...

Just a thought...but, playing with numbers is fun too.

Byrdman
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of anyone with the 200 either on the 25. I talked with Marc at Wefings about a 175 Suzuki (remember that the Suzuki's use a different gear ratio than many other engines do)--and he suggested a 19.5 x 16 (the 200's and 175/150's use the same lower unit and props).

You are going to a much more powerful engine--and one which will push your boat over 30 knots. I personally didn't think it was worth going to the 200, but it would depend on how the boat is loaded (we run pretty well loaded currently with a 130 Honda, which is a bit less powerful than the Suzuki 140.

The problem with these prop calculators, is that there are so many factors, and I believe in this case you would be seriously mislead by the calculations. The lower unit gear ratio is very important, as is the diameter. You want to get full ROM (6000 in this engine) at light full speed or Wide open throttle. Also is how the boat is loaded, what the trim of the boat is, elevation, bottom condition etc.

Best to try different props--or talk to Power Tech--they are probably the most knowledgable. I would also ordinarily agree that two props is a good idea--and it is for nothing but back up--but in this case you will be putting on an engine at the max rated for the boat and it will still perform well at 3700 foot altitude. If going to 7000 feet, then consider one prop at least 2 to 3" lower pitch.

A dealer with a number of props to try is the best way to go! Not the calculator.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing is definitely wrong with the logic here. That is, the hull factor is being used to determine the type of prop. BUT the top speed is part of the hull factor calculation which in turn is dependent on the type of prop in use. So, I can't imagine that the hull factor numbers will be that useful in determining what prop to use since the prop that was used in determining the hull factor to begin with was not part of the calculation. So, my bet is that in the end, you'll wind up doing what everybody else does, ask someone who is close in horsepower, take a good guess and play with 2-4 props until you're happy.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type of prop has nothing to do with the calculation. The calculation is useful if you have weitht, HP, and top speed. That will give you hull factor. Then, you can change the HP (or weight or both) to find out new top speed, if you change nothing else, or enter a top speed to find out how much HP you need to add or weight you need to shed to get there (top speed) changing nothing else.

If you change props, start all over again, and remember, it's all just an estimate!

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
marvin4239

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one thing it's good for is determining how effecient your prop is using this tool http://www.propgods.com/content/prop_calculators.aspx. In my case my current prop has 15.25 pitch if I plug in the other numbers it gives me a prop slip of .05 which I guess is pretty good. This is with a permatrim and the motor raised one hole. Wish I had run the numbers before adding the permatrim and raising the motor. I'm going to add some cupping to this prop as my motor revs are a little to high and rerun the numbers.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helm wants to use this formula to determine prop pitch as per his first post. The formula does not deal with prop pitch. The C Dories generally behave well up to about 30 hp. In my (and others) experience the boats do not do that well after the low 30's. It is not a fast boat, nor is it designed to be a fast boat. There are multiple factors--and a number of these are not address in this formula--which determine the top speed. For example, the small keel, the reverse chine, the amount of rocker, the flatness of the run aft.

I submit that this formula is of little value in ansering the question which Helm asks. Proping a boat correctly is often trial and error--because there are many variables. There are people who are experts--such as Power Tech and several other prop providers who have a lot of experience. Same for the engine manufacturers. Use their advice--not some formula which comes off a Boston Whaler owner's site for determining the prop pitch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Propellers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: