View previous topic :: View next topic  
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Cold water boot camp Reply with quote

http://www.nasbla.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=1

This video is a must see for anyone who spends time on the water, especially in northern climates.

We follow the 3D rule:
Wear your PFD on the Dock, on Deck, and in the Dink; there are no exceptions!

Life is precious

Mary Christmas and happy holidays to all…

Jay

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking

Last edited by breausaw on Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Triple J, a great video, we all should watch and heed!

Merry Christmas to all and stay safe!

Charlie and Sally

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great video. Should be required watching for all of us up here in cold water country. Thanks.
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the video, I passed it on to our USCG Aux flotilla members.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay,

Thanks for posting this. I've sent it on to our Yacht Club's Safety and Medical officers for possible use in a program. Those temps are a way of life for us in the PNW. We'll be wearing our PFDs more this year.

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Roger, I spent some time at the helm of the Guemes Ferry under Captain Kents instruction. Seems as though we have a mutual friend.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I watched the video I remember the two people I pulled off that over turned boat. One with out a jacket and one with. The one good dicussion they made that day was to stay with the boat. They had thought of swimming to shore in the beginning but they would never have made it. When we got to them they had no muscule movement and could not even stand. This is a great video to share with others.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: great video Reply with quote

Jay,

Thanks for passing that on. It is a very good refresher, and reminder. The jackets, (PFD's) stay on, even around the dock.

MErry Christmas,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the video. We don't take as many precautions with the PFD's as those folks and some C Brats do. Of course in Florida, we don't have those colder waters, except in the winters. In Alaska, we often wore tight fitting foam lined vests, or float coats when on deck outside of the cockpit or in the dinghy.

The term hypothermia is somewhat relitative. I suspect in this case they use the classical medical defination, which is a deep body core temperature of 95 degrees F. The lower the core temperature goes, the less chance of survival. The points about peripheral vascular contraction is very important, as well as muscle stiffness and loss of function of fine movements.

They don't make as large a point of the "Cold shock" as I think they should: Cold Shock describes a series of rapid, linked, involuntary and detrimental physiological events in the inadequately protected human body characterized by immediate loss of breathing control, incapacitation and high risk of drowning or sudden death when suddenly immersed in cold water. Most of these immediate body responses are increasingly fatal as the water temperature decreases.

Due to rapid vasoconstriction and raising of the blood pressure, sudden cardiac arrest can occur. I feel that not only should one wear a life jacket in risky situations, but also be wearing a garmet which will help to keep the body warmer and hopefully prevent the cold shock deaths. Ideally this would be a survival suit such as the Mustang full floatation suit, or at least one of the bomber or floatation coats, which give floation, cold shock and hypothermia proteciton.

What do our brethern in Alaska do for protection routinely?

Also the techniques of preventing personal heat loss: "Heat Escape Lessening Posture (H.E.L.P.) can be used only if you are wearing a personal flotation device (PFD). Hold your arms tightly against your sides and across your chest, pull your legs together and up toward your chest.

With the H.E.L.P. a hypothermia preventing float coat your survival can be at least quadrupled, and increased up to 9 fold with a full imersion floating suit.

Again, thanks for an important lesson!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Cold water shock Reply with quote

Dr Bob said:
Quote:
"They don't make as large a point of the "Cold shock" as I think they should: Cold Shock describes a series of rapid, linked, involuntary and detrimental physiological events in the inadequately protected human body characterized by immediate loss of breathing control, incapacitation and high risk of drowning or sudden death when suddenly immersed in cold water. Most of these immediate body responses are increasingly fatal as the water temperature decreases.

Due to rapid vasoconstriction and raising of the blood pressure, sudden cardiac arrest can occur. I feel that not only should one wear a life jacket in risky situations, but also be wearing a garmet which will help to keep the body warmer and hopefully prevent the cold shock deaths. Ideally this would be a survival suit such as the Mustang full floatation suit, or at least one of the bomber or floatation coats, which give floation, cold shock and hypothermia proteciton."

Dr Bob is right, and this would be born out be researching the "drownings" that occur in the PNW and northward waters. Very few of those fatalities actually have water intrusion into the lungs. Most often death is a result of sudden cardiac arrest, due to cold shock. This should be a very real presence in our personal awareness when we are on the water. We ALWAYS wear our PFD's, but have not migrated to the Mustang suits or float coats yet.

Moving towards more safe boating, one SPOT at at a time.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Camper Cat

Vessel Name: Stella Anne
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Breathe4Life Reply with quote

A friend of mine has invented a survival suit that should greatly increase the odds of surviving a cold water immersion. I hope that he gets these things manufactured soon so that I can equip my boat with a couple. www.breathe4life.com/.
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Great suit Reply with quote

That is one cool ----- whoops, I mean HOT suit. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Where do I sign up. (And they tested ti right here in our home marina and I missed it, bummer!) Sad

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That survival suit looks like a dry suit. There is a lot of difference between a work suit and survival suit or dry suit. The recreational boater has to have something which will help to prevent the sudden shock--as well as prolong survial time in the water, and provide floatation, which they wear all of the time, when in risky situations. The float coat comes as close as what most of us can easily use on a daily basis. A good float coat will also have a beaver tail, and best to have some elastic around the sleeves and neck, along with a hood, to keep the circulation of cold water to a minimum in the device.
breausaw

Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having fished winters commercially offshore in the Gulf of Alaska I have the utmost respect for extreme cold waters, but don’t find it necessary or practical to carry survival suits of even mustang type suits on our little c-dory.
Someone can always make the argument for having every conceivable safety device known to man onboard, and for some this may be necessary or warranted. Truth is, the most indispensable safety device onboard is your head.
If we fished miles from shore, did it in an open skiff or ventured out in marginal conditions I’d certainly consider having float coats for everyone on board, but this becomes impractical unless you own an extensive wardrobe of these things.
I trust my judgment, know my limitations as well as my vessels, and don’t believe I’m putting my family or friends in harms way as recreational boaters.

Having said that I’ll take my beatings now… Smile
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None from me. I use my float coat usually and feel it is plenty, even in modest offshore fishing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: