View previous topic :: View next topic  
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: New anchor / pot buoy puller concept Reply with quote

I came across this Orval's Ez Pull while surfing around and wondered if anyone has any experience with one.
The concept of using a buoy to pull an anchor or pot has been around for a long time, this is the first device- other than the ring which doesn’t work with pots- I’ve seen that allows you to detach it directly from the line.
We’ve been using the Anchor Lift buoy puller with great success, this device would definitely eliminate some hassles if it performs as advertised.
Dang stout looking too!

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use one of these and the bad part is that you can not take it off the line easly. I would like to know if this new system works better. Being able to take the rig off the line would make anchoring or pulling pots easier. Now I use a pot puller for the pots and I think with a bouy systen you would lose to many shrimp at the top of the water before you could pull the pot to the boat.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to remind folks that recently a boater lost his life when using one of the anchor pull bouys. Apparently the anchor rode had fouled in a lobster pot, and he had slack in the line, which was in the cockpit. His 18 year old son was told to put the boat in gear, and the rode (or lobster line--not sure which as I think back on it) tangled in the prop--same line tangled with the fathers ankle and he was pulled overboard and drowned/injured.

Yes, an unusual circumstance, and there are windlass accidents also--but just a heads up to be sure that this does not happen to a C Dory owner.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Bob! One can never be too careful around windlasses, hoists, anchor lines, chains, pot pullers, winches, davits,, etc., and the host of other lines leading around the boat and overboard.

Commercial fishermen have the most dangerous situation, in my guesstimation, but it's "Heads up" around any boat, IMHO!

Incidentally, if anyone wants one of those round bright orange "Tuff End" fenders used for anchor and pot pulling, I have a lightly used 18 inch one that I'll let go for $45.

It is 67 inches in circumference, has a 1-1/2" hole, and weighs about 9 lbs.

You can see it here:

and read about it HERE.

If interested, you can PM or email me, but I won't be able to answer till tomorrow afternoon, as I'm going to go play "Ice Cave" on the Sea Ray up at the lake tonight. Hopefully, between Shore Power, my Honda generator and electric heater, and a back up propane catalytic heater (with CO and propane monitors), Pepper (my dog) and I will make it trough the night OK!

I'll be coming to the Seattle Boat Show and C-Brat Get Together, and could bring it along in the Durango to save shipping, as the UPS and other rates have gone up quite a bit lately, as we all know.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
breausaw

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe

Sea Wolf wrote:

Incidentally, if anyone wants one of those round bright orange "Tuff End" fenders used for anchor and pot pulling, I have a lightly used 18 inch one that I'll let go for $45.

After a blow we find these Tuff End type buoys washed up on the outer islands, find more than I’m willing to haul back. But after seeing how much these dang things are worth perhaps I’ll throw more in the boat next time.

A lot of the commercial guys just call em bags.

Think I use the 27inch diameter orange one for pulling my pots; its serves as the marker buoy also.

Some use small white buoys as pot markers, truly a navigational hazard; we don’t have buoy color designations up here for shrimp and crab
Patrout

City/Region: NORTH POLE
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: C-FARER
Photos: C-FARER
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using this unit for a couple of years on my anchor line. I've had trouble taking it off the line easily. I went back to their website and read the directions (imagine that!) for removal. I think I'll practice doing it the right way from now on.

It works pretty nicely for the anchor line, but I use a pot puller for my shrimp pots.

Pat
breausaw

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrout wrote:
I've been using this unit for a couple of years on my anchor line. I've had trouble taking it off the line easily. I went back to their website and read the directions (imagine that!) for removal. I think I'll practice doing it the right way from now on.

It works pretty nicely for the anchor line, but I use a pot puller for my shrimp pots.

Pat

Hi Pat,

Haven’t had a problem pulling my anchor by hand, but 3 pots in 600 foot of waters is more than I wish to try. We’ve had great luck pulling pots using a buoy; this device will make the task even more efficient.
Glad you figured out how to get the line off, instructions are for wimps but often become necessary. Very Happy Thumbs Up

Thanks for the feedback,

Jay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: