The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Wanted - Cockpit Canvas Details
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wanderer

City/Region: Annapolis, MD; The Villages, FL
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Wanderer
Photos: Wanderer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Wanted - Cockpit Canvas Details Reply with quote

What provisions should I specify, with a local canvas company, when placing an order for installed “Camper Canvas”? I have in mind something like I see on the photos of Da Nag.

What dimensions should be met and what details should not be missed?

I expect to have the top up most of the time and expect to have the sides down at night and in nasty weather.

Are clear panels worth the bother? Netting?

Come travel with us: http://2Wander.com
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with netting in the rear panel and will have netting put in the side panels. Here in So Cal we need the air flow and the netting does limit the wind in windy conditions. We also have it where we can cover the screen at night for privacy.
KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a c-dory yet but i have looked at a few. the set up that les at e.q.marine has is well thought out and versitile. the top will unzipp at the cabin from either side allowing easier access from the dock. the whole canvas can be unzipped from the cabin and the bows with out the removel of the bows from the boat . with the quick snap bow locks the bow can be removed or relocated quickly and easily. like i said i don't have a c-dory yet but when i order it will be with this canvas. les has a local guy make them. they are not the ones from the factory.
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi George and Penny,
Not sure where you live as your profile doesn't indicate any "home port", however the canvas company that Les at EQ uses (that did the superb job on both "Da Nag" and "Sea Shift") is located in Oak Harbor, Washington. The company owners are Bob Price and Rick Karr. Their address is........The Canvas Riggers, 1401 S. E. Catalina # A-11, Oak Harbor, Wa. 98277. Their phone number is cell phone 360-672-4417. They also "fixed" me up with a matching cover for my radome so as to keep the bugs off the radome while trailering down the road. After having a camperback on my 16' that was only "clear" on the stern, I'm thoroughly enjoying having the "clear" side and rear panels on this one. (Much better when cruising for visibility of other vessels etc.). I also have "solid" panels that easily attach inside the clear panels if privacy is desired while at moorage. There are 11 sections (including the top) that make up this camperback which lends it to be extremely versatile. (Note: those 11 sections don't include the privacy panels). Perhaps this is confusing "on paper" but in real life it is extremely nice!

C-Brat #16
baboos_boat

City/Region: Fairbanks
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Baboos Boat
Photos: (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't add much to the above responses except to say I too bought through E.Q. Marine my boat and canvas covering. The cover is very well made and the design is superb. Highly recommend you take the advice of others given here.
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Wilbur
Photos: Da Boats
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke with the owner of the canvas shop when I was last at EQ. He led me to believe they could make things up without the boat being there.

You would still need a canvas shop locally to install it. Still, given the great design Les came up with when working with these guys, and the excellent quality of work, I'd be tempted to go this route rather than work with a local shop exclusively.

Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow Roger on Fishtales,

Thanks for the response. We live in Annapolis, MD but will be taking the boat to Marathon FL, for the winter; that is, if Hurricane Ivan misses our condo. Bugs abound in the mangroves where we expect to cruise. We will first order netting, most likely on three sides. Privacy panels seem necessary.

How are they attached? Do you unzip the screens and zip in cloth panels or do you snap the cloth to the edges of the screen or glass panels? We are also considering glass panels to give us a little more living area in early Spring and late fall on the Chesapeake Bay.

Arrow Starcrafttom, Dave S, baboos_boat, Da Nag,

I phoned Canvas Riggers and spoke with (Rick?). He said they need the boat to make the bows and materials. In any event, I can’t find a shop here who wants to install someone else’s work unless I’m willing to pay again for the profit they would have made fabricating the materials. The best places flat out refuse to do just the installation.

I too will specify unzipping the forward edge of the top piece and quick disconnects for the bows. Further, I will specify a frame like the one displayed among Da Nags photos.

The outfit that put together the dodger and bimini on my sailboat did great work. I plan to go to them will all the info I need. The problem, as I see it, is that neither they nor I have any experience using a C-Dory 22. I’m hoping for help from you guys to mitigate that deficiency.

So, what do I need to know that has not been said here or in CamperBack/ Canvas Work “viewtopic.php?t=662”?
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George, I think that any canvas shop that's dealt with the vagaries of a sailboat, the compound curves and the differences, boat to boat will have an easy time with a C-Dory. Just pick someone you trust, tell them what you want and go for it....

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie,

You are probably right. They don't have to allow for room to crank the winches. Still, I don't know enough about handling a small power boat to give good instructions. That warm fuzzy feeling eludes me.

Good luck with the surgery.

George
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George, thanks for the good thoughts. You don't need to give them "instructions" A power boat is far simpler in deck arrangements than a sailboat is... Just tell them what you want, screen, clear, opaque, etc, zippers, access, etc. and let them do their thing. Canvas can always be changed. Don't forget you may need to get down into the boat from the dock when the cover is up.....access..!!

Charlie
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screen is sewn in the cover and the solid privacy curtan is sewn on at the bottom. We open it by releasing the twist snaps and rolling the solid down where we have straps to hold it in place. We are able to open 1/3, 2/3 and full open.
Here's a pic of the back from the inside at 2/3 open.
We have straps where we can roll the side and rear panels up and out of the way when the weather is nice, without taking them completely off.
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger,

I did look at your album. You installation looks good. The image you embedded in your last post does not show.

Thanks for the details. That is what I'm looking for.

George
Captain Rich

C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: On_Line_Systems
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Back canvas Netting Reply with quote

Dear George & Penny.

Regarding your aft canvas. Netting is an excellent option. I fish in Florida and often over-night near shore or spoil islands. Here we have 97 different types of insects. 96 bite or sting and the 97th swallows you whole! Over the years Iv'e found netting with some type of rollup or snap over window arrangement works best. The openings provide visibility while running and you can button up in bad weather.

If you are going thru the expense of canvas it's my humble opinion that it's better to do it right in the beginning that try to 'retro-fit' something later.

Good boating,

Cap'n Rich .)
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogon dory,
I am in the process of ordering camperback canvas right now. So far this is what I have found out: King Marine Canvas makes the factory canvas for C-Dory. I talked to them last Friday and was told that some colors of canvas they have already made up and can/will ship to you. I have no experience with installation, but I would think it could be done by someone reasonably handy. The cost is quite a bit less from King than from Canvas Riggers. The top can be separated from the cabin top by a zipper which leaves a small strip still in the track atop the boat. There is an earlier discussion by Les from EQ about the features to get. I don't know how to do a link but it was in Apr 04 under Camper Back/Canvas Work.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: