The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Outlet box cover

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flrockytop

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: The Last One (to date)
Photos: C-LOVER
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Outlet box cover Reply with quote

I think my next project is going to be to add a couple inverter outlets. One on the port side under the table , one somewhere on the starboard side and one in the cockpit if I can waterproof it.

The question is what type of boxes work for the outlets. A quick check at Home Depot and could not find one that looked as if it would work very well. They were made to nail into the side of a 2 x 4. I know others have figured this out. I need a little help here. Thanks.

Roger

Roger Rockwell
Pensacola, Fl
eNORMous

City/Region: Beaufort
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Antibody
Photos: Antibody
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several options you have:
(1) Surface Mount - fastest, easiest, protrudes into space, less appealing, but is funtional. Requies a single hole through wall, etc for wire & clamp;
(2) Recessed Mount - takes longer, need jig-saw for the cut-out, does not protrude above surface, most appealing.

I would use Plastic. There are several types of plastic models available. Some which have cantalever/side-arms which when slipped into the mounting hole, snap side-ways to secure the duplex gang box securely to the wall; some which you can screw directly (generally four screws - x2 top and x2 bottom).

I think you just need to dig a little deeper at Lowe's or Home Depot, or Ace or go to an electircal supply store. Explain what you're trying to do and they'll hook you up. I'll try to dig up a couple links for you.

Here is one link for a single-gang work box with the compression side-arms I was discussing - very nice, indeed:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=201705-223-BH118R&lpage=none

and another nice one:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=37117-223-B120R&lpage=none

Here is the link for all the gang boxes at Lowe's. In case the link doesn't work, go to Lowe's and search for the two words: gang box

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productList&N=4294961544&Ne=4294967294&Ntk=i_products&Ntt=gang+box

Here is one link for a surface-mount:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=130197-223-HB1DP&lpage=none

Good Luck and don't forget to use the correct wiring sizes and ensure correct polarity (e.g. Positive to positve & negative to negative on the duplex outlet - it is labeled on the back of the duplex outlet as "hot wire"). This will ensure you maintain the correct polarity of your AC system.

Norm

thataway

Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder about the wisdom of putting 110 volt outlets where they are likely to get salt spray on them? Even on our large boats, we put the 110 volt outlets under protection, and then ran an extension cord to where we needed power.

On the current boats--we have the inverter outlets inside of the cabin--have not had a reason to use the 110 volts outside. We do have 12 volt outlets which are semi protected from the spray under the gunnel or inside of the cut out boxes.

There are fully gasketed boxes which are made for outdoor use--and that is what we use on the lift, with with hinged covers.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: J box Reply with quote

Roger,

Check out www.waytekwire.com. They have a great catalog with lots of very good gear for boating.

Steve

eNORMous

City/Region: Beaufort
State or Province: NC
Vessel Name: Antibody
Photos: Antibody
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was only providing guidance on the materials for inside the cabin (in general). Deciding on mounting a waterproof receptacle in the cockpit is another dimension. I can certainly think of some options which would provide very good fully sealed protection (they do make some), but again, it all depends on "when" you're going to use the cock-pit 110VAC receptable. If you're on the hook just lurking on a nice day, or with your boat beached and you want to plug something in - doubtful you're doing that under salt-spray conditions. With anything like this, prudence and understanding of the environment is what is required IMO.
flrockytop

Vessel Name: The Last One (to date)
Photos: C-LOVER
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
I wonder about the wisdom of putting 110 volt outlets where they are likely to get salt spray on them? Even on our large boats, we put the 110 volt outlets under protection, and then ran an extension cord to where we needed power.

On the current boats--we have the inverter outlets inside of the cabin--have not had a reason to use the 110 volts outside. We do have 12 volt outlets which are semi protected from the spray under the gunnel or inside of the cut out boxes.

There are fully gasketed boxes which are made for outdoor use--and that is what we use on the lift, with with hinged covers.

Busted again.... Xmas Naughty

I was hoping Dr. Bob was gone for the holidays, Laughing I knew he was going to get onto me about the one outside. There has got to be an acceptable way to get one outside somewhere. I like to clean fish on the back of the boat and I don't like stringing the extension cord out there. Of course I don't catch many fish but people do throw a striper over to my boat from time to time.

I guess I need to go to Lowes. I know I've seen the kind with the tabs on the side but all Home Depot had the other days were the ones with the nails out the side. But then again, I probably just over looked them. I was there for something else and didn't spend a lot of time looking.

Roger
thataway

Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you must put the outlet outside--consider putting the recptical up under the gunnel. I would put a piece of wood, epoxy to the outer hull, and screwed (with finish washers) into the glass which folds over into the cocpit. You can then put a outdoor (gray) fully sealed outlet box screwed onto this board and facing down. Use "flexiable liquid tight conduit". You can glue this into the box with appropiate fittings, and then thru the bulkhead to the cabin. This means that there is miminal chance that water will get into the sockets. You can put the plastic gasketed covers over these outlets. You have to put the plug up into the socket. The socket would be protected directly from spray.

Another option is to put a round access hatch and build a box inside of that for the sealed outlet box. You also want to be sure that the inverter has a ground fault interupter circuit protection.

Of course there is the possibility of using conventional fillet knives, or a 12 volt electric knife....
Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

City/Region: Port Orchard
State or Province: WA
Photos: Kitsap Marina
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the top of my pointy head:

Flush mount under the aft dinette seat, toward the outboard side of the seat under the table. Clean installation and easy to plug table top items into it without tripping over the cord.

Somewhere in the galley cabinet- again, flush mount.

Use a flush mount box with tabs that would allow you to screw fro the face into the cabinet. These get covered by the face plate.

In the cockpit I like the under the gunwhale solution, with the outlet pointed down so any water would drain out.

And I know I don't have to say this, but use stranded marine grade wire. I had a boat that the inverter outlets were wired with Romex. Not the way to do that at all....

360-895-2193
(888) 293-7991
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger
Here is how mine turned out

I too have been thinking of the cockpit. I decided that i'm going to put in a door of some sorts so I can just run a cord to the outside to use. The door could be used for a propane hose, and extension cord when I want the cabin door closed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: