View previous topic :: View next topic  
timflan

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Two Lucky Fish +1
Photos: Two Lucky Fish
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Wallas stove exhaust overhaul Reply with quote

I did some work on my Wallas stove, and I've written it up, with pictures, over at Navagear. Here's a before and after:

CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,
Great job on the overhaul. The pix show your exhaust is about where mine is. I wish it were a little higher. I sometimes use the Wallas while the boat is on the trailer and the exhaust hits the carpeted guide-on bunk! I carry a piece of aluminum which I bent to shape a deflector to keep from melting the carpet.

jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: wallas Reply with quote

I have a 2006 wallas single burner 800 with 220 fan . I've run the stove and heater the last couple of days in fl. but I get a residual diesel smell is this normal ? Yes the side vent is working smoke comes out . The fuel is at least 7months -?? who knows Should I change the fuel what type paraffin or diesel num 2??I'm new to this stove type When I bought the boat in April the stove worked but did not smell . I somtimes wonder what I need a Wallas stove in fl for anyway ? I wonder what a single burner is worth ? anyway just some thoughts

Hope to see some of you in fl this winter or at the seattle boat show in Jan. Jim (Duckless) on Jennykatz cc-23

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
timflan

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Two Lucky Fish +1
Photos: Two Lucky Fish
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to answer, because everybody's Wallas experience seems to vary.

What I will tell you is this:

On my stove, I burn kerosene. I haven't had any trouble with it, so I keep using it. I'm not interested in advice that I should burn diesel instead, because it ain't broke now.

On my stove, I need to follow the directions in the manual and turn the burner control all the way up while the stove starts. If it's turned down, I get vaporized but unburned (and very stinky!) fuel coming out the exhaust. Once combustion has started (the red LED is steady on), I can adjust the fuel flow with the knob. During shut-down, it doesn't matter where the burner control knob I set, because the computer's controlling the process anyway.

You should contact the folks at Scan Marine.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you know there is a little pan that is open to the air that holds some fuel up in the burner area -kind of like the old carbureted auto engines. Also, it is common to get some fuel on the outside of the bottle when fueling. If you smell fuel, there was probably some open to the air somewhere.

As above, I mainly use the bottled Klean kerosene designed for indoor heaters and it has a very weak odor.

If you are running or set up into the wind with only the cabin door open, it will suck air into the cabin from the Wallas exhaust. Perhaps that is the thing?

John
jennykatz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: wallas Reply with quote

Thanks I bought the Kleen fuel drained the old and put in new fuel .Then we closed up the starboard window and door now there is very little smell thanks . At least now I can have coffee in the morning .

Another question I did turn the rotary knob all the way pressed the on /off button to on. The on button then flashed for a min or 2 then steady light on the switch Then within a 4-5 min period the combustion red light came on So far so good The wallas 800 single burner gives off lots of heat the problem is after about 15-20 min the red combustion light goes off and the heater starts cooling off but I did't touch the rotary knob what give's .I guess I need to look at troubleshooting the wallas . Does anyone have this problem?? I also have no vent if you look at my photo album (duck) page 3 all the cd-25 that have wallas's have small vents to let air in for combustion also the red light did not flash like it was overheating ?Does anyone think that it is shutting off because it needs that vent . Any cd-22 owners that have wallas's do you guys have vents ? thanks in advance
C-Sick

City/Region: Renton
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Gratitude
Photos: C-Sick
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Air Bubbles in Fuel Line Reply with quote

This can happen if there is an air bubble in the line. You should be able to inspect the line. A couple of starts will also work it through.
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: wallas Reply with quote

[quote="jennykatz" . . . At least now I can have coffee in the morning .

. . . So far so good. The wallas 800 single burner gives off lots of heat the problem is after about 15-20 min the red combustion light goes off and the heater starts cooling off but I did't touch the rotary knob what give's.[/quote]

After you have your coffee, are you leaving the lid up on the stove? I don't have it in front of me, but I believe the "manual" (such as it is) says that the lid should be down when you are heating, rather than cooking, so that the fan comes on. Otherwise, I think you may overheat the burner and cause the stove to shut itself off. It seems to me that overheating could be more of an issue if the burner is on high (e.g., you just boiled water), but I try to be careful about it, and never leave the top open when there is nothing on the burner.

If you're having this problem with the lid down and the fan on, I have no words of advice. So far (knock on wood) we have had nothing but perfect performance from our Wallas single burner. Just returned from a delightful jaunt down Dana Passage in the wind and snow. It was nice having the heater on.

jennykatz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: wallas Reply with quote

OK so I should keep the lid down and also check to see if there is an air bubble in the fuel line I guess there could be since i just refueled it .

Bill (nora lim ) Does your wallas have any venting under or near the heater because you and I have the same heater Does your red light ( combustion ) go off while you are running the heater I had the heater on today with rotary knob set at 4-5 and she ran great for about 15-20 min then the red light went off and it started to cool off?? This could be the air bubble that c-sick was talking about any other wallas owners out there with this problem.

I probably didn't mention but the wallas has not been run for over a yr or so and who knows what the original owner did so putting in new fuel was good it no longer stinks of diesel .Kleen fuel seems to be good for it no blue smoke etc. so if we get the air bubbles out this might get better I don't need to pray to the wallas gods , Thanks for all your help I love this site
NORO LIM

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jennykatz asked:

Quote:
Does your wallas have any venting under or near the heater

Yes, there are horizontal slots in the cabinet wall just in front of the Wallas.

Quote:
Does your red light ( combustion ) go off while you are running the heater

I don't think so. As far as I have noticed, if the heater is on, the light is on, but then I've never really had a reason to watch it closely because the stove has always worked.
jennykatz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: wallas Reply with quote

Hi bill where are your vents located I tried to look at your album could not see any .Is it above the tundra fridge or above the cabinet doors or is it behind the helm seat??Could it be outside vents ? Bill look into my photo's (duck) photos number 60 it shows my wallas were on that picture would your vent be Thanks Jim
NORO LIM

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

I don't think I have any pictures that show the vents. They are in the cabinet wall, just above the aft cabinet door that is below the Wallas. They line up with the guts of the Wallas that hang down under the counter top. (I don't have a refrigerator.)

Based on your picture, the vent would be right above your refrigerator, just to the left of the Wallas switch.
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the side vent is working smoke comes out
On my '93 if I see any smoke after start-up it indicates incomplete combustion. With my stove this is due to poor fuel quality and/or a wick that needs cleaning/replacing.
Quote:
I had the heater on today with rotary knob set at 4-5 and she ran great for about 15-20 min then the red light went off and it started to cool off??
That red light illuminates when the temperature at the combustion chamber is above a certain threshold. If it goes out it means that you're not maintaining that threshold. Again, poor fuel quality and/or a wick that needs cleaning/replacing.
On my stove any setting below 5 risks losing the fire. I usually leave it on full and regulate the temperature by opening windows/doors.
I strongly suggest a carbon monoxide detector for anyone using a combustion type heater.

NORO LIM

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen to the detector. I have two.
jennykatz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: wallas Reply with quote

Thanks again guys Bill I will cut some holes in and put in vents that should help combustion and I will keep it at 5 or above to keep it running .where do I clean the wick where is the wick how do you get the stove out in the first place?Bill are you going to the Seattle boat show party if so could you tell me where to get info on wallas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: