The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Window Adventures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cview

City/Region: Phoenix
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-VIEW II
Photos: C-VIEW
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Window Adventures Reply with quote

Part of the restoration of our 1990 C-Dory 22' Cruiser involved replacing the fixed center window with an opening one. With our generally warm (hot) weather in the Phoenix area I was certain that we want as much airflow through the cabin as we can possibly get.

I got quotes from Diamond/Sea-Glaze (supplier to C-Dory factory) and Motion Windows. Although they were higher cost, I went with Diamond/Sea-Glaze. The main reason is that they would build the window to fit a tracing that I made of the window opening.

I removed the original window by using a thin bladed putty knife worked around the edge of the window. The window was held in with a silicone sealant. I did not damage the original window. I then held up a piece of cardboard to the window opening while my wife traced the perimeter. I thought the window was a rectangle and was surprised to find out that the top is about a half inch narrower than the bottom. Good thing I didn't order a window based on my original measurements!!

I know someone is going to ask about the cost. I could give a glib answer such as, 'If you have to ask, you can't afford it', but .... In round numbers, the window was about $500. I had to add $50 for duty and brokerage because Diamond/Sea-Glaze is in Canada. They also wanted $50 for crating. They actually build a wooden shipping crate specifically for this window. It really irked me to have to pay these last two fees, but what are you going to do? On top of that I had to pay for shipping. I don't know the charge for that yet.

I got the window. It fits in the opening. It is of high quality. They sold me some 'butyl tape' ($6.00) for the installation. This must be the new way of installing windows. It is sure a lot less messy than using a silicone caulk.

Hopefully, this will be of benefit to someone else who might be contemplating the same window replacement.

Tony

sportner

City/Region: Buckeye
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 26 Osprey
Vessel Name: Glory Days
Photos: Traveler
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony,
Thanks for posting, and I am sure it will be worth your efforts when things heat up down there. Your project, and others, give me the confidence to try things on my own rather than farm them out.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Enjoy center Window Reply with quote

Tony,
Thanks for posting that. Now I am going to treat my center window a whole lot nicer. I Do not want to have to replace that rascal.

As to your choice, I think you made a good one. You will enjoy that opening plenty. We run with our open 80% of the time. We like the idea of just a bit of positive flow through air for freshness and to help ensure that there is no CO build up if the aft cabin door is open for a bit. As long as the seastate is 2 foot or less, and there is no concern of getting water up onto the foredeck, we run with it open.

Enjoy,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

helm

City/Region: Medford
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Chack Chack
Photos: Chack Chack
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job on your window, I was interested though in why you had to pay duty. I thought under NAFTA there would be no duty charges.
We bought a new sailboat from a manufacturer in Vancouver BC and had it inspected at the border, told customs it was new and voila no duty or charges - so why $50 for your window.
Eric
C-Green

City/Region: Houghton
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Green
Photos: C-Green
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: $50 Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, the $50 is a brokerage fee for any order crossing the border. I paid it a couple of years ago when ordering 14 cabin door opening windows from Diamond/Seaglaze. I guess the broker is some dude at the border who deals with the border crossing paperwork. My understanding with D/S is that it is $50/order whatever size of the order. D/S was a great company to work with; answered the phone with a person, gave timely answers, and did what they said they would do in the time frames given or sooner and of course a quality product - all these attributes seem rarer and rarer these days.

Jay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: