The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

HELP PURCHASING AT BOAT SHOW PRICES

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rabbits Hutch

City/Region: Seal Beach, CA
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Rabbit's Hutch
Photos: Rabbit's Hutch
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: HELP PURCHASING AT BOAT SHOW PRICES Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

In preparation for my long awaited summer cruise, there are two pieces of equipment I wish to purchase and add to the boat. The first being either a 2KW or 4KW Raymarine Radome and the second a windlass.

As i'm in Iraq at the moment, I'm stuck with mail order and having it shipped to a relative's address back in the USA.

How can I find the best boat show price out there on such items so that I can make the purchase from afar? I know what items I'm specifically looking for.

Whatever advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary R.

20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought items from matt_unique for good prices. Send him an email for a quote. You can also do a Google shopping search for the items you want. Make sure you build the cost of the cable into the overall cost if you order from a place that doesn't include it.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the above. If you can't be there, it probably won't help to do a Boat Show Price. I have bought stuff from matt_unique too, he's got good prices and if you find an internet price for anything, West Marine will match it with just a reference to the website. Good luck!

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Another perspective Reply with quote

Gary,

While I can very much understand wanting to get the very best price, I offer that you should consider support in the equation. I purchased my C80 through a local marine electronics company (Rodgers Marine Electronics) here in Portland, and received pricing that was reasonable, and comparable to other retailers and catalog sales.

What I also got was a very good support organization. As an example, I had issues with my GPS failing to lock on, and taking the system down. Rodgers was very helpful in the troubleshooting process, did not charge me for their time, and again gave me reasonable prices for the replacement puck (which by the way, was damaged due to my over torquing the mounting screws). They have also supported me when troubleshooting a VHF issue.

So, if you have a local firm, I recommend you consider them.

Keep yourself safe over there, and thank you for your service.

Kind Regards,

Steve

Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with those who suggest you really need to be there to make the boat show work. But also keep in mind that electronics is a very hotly contested area of marine sales, and the discounts are not as great as in other areas because the prices are already about as low as they are going to go. I agree with the others who have mentioned factoring in post-sales service. As for the windlass, if you know the brand and model and price you want to beat, I am sure there are any number of Brats who would be willing to help you out with buying it (I will be out of town otherwise I would volunteer.) If you are looking for a Lewmar Pro 700 I have one for sale. It is 2 years old and was working fine when I took it off to replace with an EZ Anchor Puller. PM me if interested.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
arniehuff

City/Region: Red Bluff
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Loose Nut
Photos: Loose Nut
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long distance shopping - both by phone and internet - we have had great luck with Cabela's. In our expeerience - they have given great backup if we had any problems.

Arnold
Loose Nut
Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

City/Region: Port Orchard
Photos: Kitsap Marina
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who was in marine electronics, I can tell you there are places online that you can buy product for what a dealer might sell it at the show.

Electronics is so low margin now that I'm only doing a little of it on the side to go along with boats I sell. The online retailing has reduced profits in many products. But as mentioned, there is no support, they are just shipping you a box.

You pays your money and makes your choices. If there is a dealer near you you like, ask if he is going to the show and will have a show discount. You don't have to be at the show to get that price, he does- so you could do everything via phone or e-mail if needed.

360-895-2193
(888) 293-7991
BoatLine
Dealer

City/Region: Charleston
State or Province: SC
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a new leftover 4KW Raydome for $1,235 w/o cable. E-mail me at bobh9447@aol.com if interested.
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Gurnsey wrote:
If there is a dealer near you you like, ask if he is going to the show and will have a show discount. You don't have to be at the show to get that price, he does- so you could do everything via phone or e-mail if needed.

And I have occasionally asked for, and received, boat show prices after the show. However, keep in mind that some boat show prices (like Raymarine) are subsidized by the manufacturer and have specific begin/end dates.

Warren
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,

Once again the C-Brats come through! The Lewmar 700 Pro that Warren has will work perfectly on your 22. The 4kw Raymarine is at a very good price for a new unit. I would jump on both these deals. Who needs boat shows anyway?

Again, Thank You for your service.

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beleive that I have a cable for the radar that you can have. just send me a note on the side and I will ship it to you. When mine was stolen I ened up with a second I just have to find it. I will look for it tonight.

In the last few years I have been disappointted in the boat show prices. In the old days, 10 years ago, the boat and fishing shows where a place to unload old stock. Now with inventory on demand buisness models there is not old stock. last year I bought a remote for my auto pilots at a lower price and was told it would be shipped to me after boaters world got all their orders from the boat shows and then placed their order to the maker.

mailbox101

City/Region: Pacifica
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Blue Eagle
Photos: Blue-Eagle
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,

It looks like you've already found what you are looking for. For future reference though, it has been my experience that boat show prices reflecting a discount given by manufacturers, such as Raymarine, do not require you to be physically present at the show. The price breaks given are for all sales within a certain range of dates, and any authorized and reputable dealer in the vicinity of the show should be able to pass them on to you with, or without, your being present.

David B.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I have not needed to purchase any items from Matt_unique, he would high on my list. I have also purchased electronics from Jim at BOE. Jim does give full dealer service on electronics--but of course will not be local to you (you have to send the unit back).

There are so many good buys--and people like Jim at BOE gives all of the boat show discounts--that I don't see any advantage to boat show shopping at this point. A few years ago, that was not true, and if you got a entire setup, you could get a great buy at the boat shows. Agree that margin in Electronics is minimal--and local electronics dealers have to make their profit on installations.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Rabbits Hutch

City/Region: Seal Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Rabbit's Hutch
Photos: Rabbit's Hutch
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: You Guys Rock Reply with quote

Thanks for all of your help.

I will indeed be purchasing the windlass, radome and ask for the cable. Not sure what I would do without you guys.

Feel free to come visit and hang out with me in Iraq for a weekend and I'll treat you to a sand storm, some fine dining facility food, and quality time with the local nationals who have yet to figure out what a shower is for.

Again, thanks so much for helping.

Gary R.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:49 am    Post subject: Good place to find good stuff and good advice Reply with quote

Quote:
"I will indeed be purchasing the windlass, radome and ask for the cable. Not sure what I would do without you guys."

Hope that is through those items listed here on the site. Roger "Dreamer" has a very sharp eye and good advice.

Gary, Good luck there, thank you for your service, and hope to see you back on this side of the big water soon.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: