The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Trailering a 22ft cruiser
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a random thought. They (the manufactures) put transmissions in trucks, so that one can go up hills with a load. Yes you go up slower, but that's part of physics and life. It does not hurt the truck. If it's really hot, get a bigger cooler, since all auto trannys come with a cooler. Just take it easy.

Boris
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Gurnsey wrote:
Under our new C-Dory's we put a 3700 pound capacity single axle trailer. Trailer itself weighs 890 pounds, so max would be under 4500 pounds.

Should be no sweat.

3700lbs is marginally above the weight of a fully loaded 22ft C-dory. The added axel on an EZ Loader gets you 4300lbs to 4600lbs towing capacity depending on tire size; I like that added safety margin.
The only reasons I see for buying a single axel is to save $ on the front end or moor your boat and pull it occasionally for maintenance.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going slower is no crime. I find it funny that people want to tow a loaded boat up a big long hill and not slow down. You do not have to have a big truck to pull your boat. My 95 ranger pulled the Susan e over the hill to ucluelet. Highway 4 hits about 3000 feet on the pass. I just down shift to second and let off the gas alittle so I can hold speed with out maxing the rpm. To many folks have to peg the rpm to feel good or something. Having driven concrete trucks for 10 years you get ok with going slow up hill. All the older trucks have hand throttle set. you just set the rpm and let the truck crawl. on the pull in to ucluelet I never got over 40mph up or down hill. Thats another thing I really liked about my ranger and the 5 speed. if you put it in 3rd it would not get over 40 down hill even with the boat. hated to sell that truck, 250k and still going strong.

Now all that being said I do like pulling with my f350 v10. a lot less worry but I dont tow at 70mph up hill either.

azygos

City/Region: New Bern
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pegasus
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Trailering,Thanks Reply with quote

A big thanks to all those who responded to my concerns ref: trailering the 22 footer with a toyota 4.7l, v8. Look forward to meeting some of you on the water as I'm new to the site and the boat. Again, thanks so much. azygos
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the results from weighing my 3/4 Ton 4x4 Dodge Diesel Pickup on the Washington State Patrol scales.

Truck with 3/4 tank fuel..........................................7,940 lbs.
22' C-Dory with full fuel tanks and 1/2 tank water......4,720 lbs.
(on a dual axle King Trailer).

Therefore a total Gross Combined Weight of............12,660 lbs.

This truck is Gross Combined Weight Rated at 16,000 lbs. which leaves only 3,334 lbs to spare for vehicle driver, passengers, coolers (full of beer Wink ), additional 1/4 tank of diesel in truck to "fill er up", and anything else that is thrown into the back of the truck or placed neatly in the C-Dory.

Doesn't take long to add up the pounds.... Disgust .

C-Brat #16
Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

City/Region: Port Orchard
Photos: Kitsap Marina
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the weight figure is the carrying capacity of the trailer, not it's GVWR (at least for King and EZ Loader). Your figure of 3300 pounds leaves a 400 pound margin of error, which is usually more than enough for most owners.

And it's the factory (Fluid) that suggests the 3700 pound capacity single axle trailer.

If a customer wants tandems we are happy to oblige, but a well built trailer should be able to carry it's rated capacity.

Can I also make the notation that there is more to it than just "adding an axle" to a trailer. The trailer is designed for it's load, so the single axle on the 3700 is a usually much heavier axle than the ones used on a 4000 or 4600 pound trailer. Even if an owner wanted to add an axle, it is usually cost prohibitive from a parts and labor standpoint. Usually better off to trade the single in to get the tandem. (plus adding an axle might void the warranty on a newer trailer) especially if the axles are welded onto the frame (not the norm, but I have seen some).

My point is that the trailer is designed for the rated load. If you feel 3700 is too small, fine, but 4600 may be oversized (imo) and adds 300 pounds to the amount being towed above the 3700. That can be important when factoring in how much the rig can tow.

We feel that the 3700 would be adequate for most owners, but if tandem is preferred we would recommend the 4000 pound capacity. One advantage to the tandem is that is sits lower because it uses 14" wheels rather tha 15's.

This may get into a similar arena as single or twin engine choice. I can make an argument why a buyer should go either way. Ultimately, I leave it up to their discretion. But I also won't oversell just to line my pocket. Just not my style.

360-895-2193
(888) 293-7991

Last edited by Matt Gurnsey on Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

breausaw wrote:

Also, if you’re launching in salt consider sealed oil bath wheel bearings.

Jay Very Happy Thumbs Up

Jay, I'm curious-

We've seen lots of problems with the oil bath hubs in salt water, and prefer the Eliminator hubs being used by others. Why do you prefer the oil bath style?
Capital Sea

City/Region: Olympia
Vessel Name: Capital Sea
Photos: Capital Sea
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pull behind a Toyota access cab 4x4 with the tow package and the loaded boat is well within the load capacity. I think it depends on where you intend to tow. If long grades are in your future then a tandem is always nice as you get four breaks working for you. This is also nice in the event of an urgent stop.

Save our Sound!
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capital Sea wrote:
I pull behind a Toyota access cab 4x4 with the tow package and the loaded boat is well within the load capacity. I think it depends on where you intend to tow. If long grades are in your future then a tandem is always nice as you get four brakes working for you. This is also nice in the event of an urgent stop.

Or a Blowout Shocked , the biggest thing IMHO in favor of a tandem trailer!

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Gurnsey wrote:
breausaw wrote:

Also, if you’re launching in salt consider sealed oil bath wheel bearings.

Jay Very Happy Thumbs Up

Jay, I'm curious-

We've seen lots of problems with the oil bath hubs in salt water, and prefer the Eliminator hubs being used by others. Why do you prefer the oil bath style?

Hi Matt,

This is news to me, not heard of any problems with sealed oil bath wheel bearings. Perhaps the ones you’re referring to are the after market add-on’s, my trailer came factory sealed oil bath bearings-the same used on commercial trailers.

The dealer up here informs me all new Ex Loader boat trailers they sell have oil bath bearings now, and they haven’t seen any problems.

To service them all you have to do is jack up the axel and remove drain plug, rotate the wheel so drain the oil, re-rotate topside and fill with fresh 90 weight.

The side glass allows you to see the fluid level and monitor for signs of contamination. As long as the bearings aren’t flinging oil the seals don’t need to be touched, just change to oil every couple of years.

I’ve got close to 14k on my trailer (it’s made two trips over the Alaska hwy); the oil still looks like honey.

My suggestion would be if you’re buying a new trailer consider one with sealed oil bath bearings, but current wisdom suggests going with what works.

Jay
Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

But I was talking about the factory install. We have seen numerous seal failures and problems with condensation in the hub itself. We've also seen some corrosion that has us concerned about longevity of the sealing surface.

But I am glad they are working for you. We've moved away from recomending EZ Loader because of the hubs, so it's good to get your real world feedback.
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too continue to you my EZ Loader trailer with the oil bath hubs. Mine have gotten a little milky over the past couple years but the Honda dealer I go to for service said there wasn't any reason to open them up just yet.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, where can I find service instruction for the oil bath hubs? The hubs came with the trailer, and I've had no troubles in 3 years of salt water, so I'm somewhat afraid to touch them. If it ain't broke don't fix it. However if I can find the hub manufacturer's recommendations, I'll think about it. Jays recommendation sound reasonable, but I'd like to see what the factory recommends.

Also, who makes them?

Boris
Bad Boy

City/Region: Fresno
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat Fever
Photos: Cat Fever
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lloyds wrote:
Mine have gotten a little milky over the past couple years but the Honda dealer I go to for service said there wasn't any reason to open them up just yet.

It's been my experience that this means you have moisture in your oil. If your Honda mechanic saw milky colored oil on your dipstick from your engine or when he drained your gearbox, would he ignore those signs too? Based on your description, I would get a second opnion. Whether that oil has been there for one trip or 100 trips, oil should not look milky and I would be suspicious that I was getting water into the gear lube.
Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The milky oil has been the biggest issue we have seen with these hubs. Followed by getting the seals sealed after a bearing job. The culprit is condensation. The bearings warm up going down the road, and then the hub is dipped in cold water. Instant condensation in the hub.

EZ Loader changed to a smoked hub so the color of the lube can't be seen.

Being just the sales monkey, I don't touch the tools too often, but I will check with our service depatment and see what they have to say. the only issue I really have with these is if a leak develops, the oil escapes and bearing failure can't be far behind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: