The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New Ranger 29
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minnow

City/Region: East Amwell
State or Province: NJ
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Minnow
Photos: Minnow
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: New Ranger 29 Reply with quote

Motorboating magazine this month had a mention about the new Ranger 29 coming soon.
Anyone else heard anything about it?
My guess is it would be $200 large?
Trinity

City/Region: Edmonds
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Trinity
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard rumours that Ranger is working on a larger tug. Will be interesting to see what they decide to do given todays economy and fuel prices.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope they have a different designer than the one who did the CD-29. Twisted Evil

Talking with people in the industry, it seems to be the small and mid-size "bubble boats" that are really taking on the chin. The R-25 has been a real sales success story, proving that there are people who will buy a good-looking, well-built, functional boat. There aren't a lot of options in that 29' range for a tug, so I can see that there may be another niche waiting for a small (careful and consciencious) manufacturer to fill it.

The trick is to get more function in those additional feet and not just make everything bigger. The person who can afford an R-29 can also likely afford an American Tug, a Nordic Tug, or similar. The R-25 offers something those others don't: trailerability. It will be interesting to see what the 29 brings to the market to set it apart from the bigger tugs.

With the uncertainty of rising fuel prices (well, it's almost a certainty Crying or Very sad ), many people are going to be content to go slower and have more comfort while underway. Ranger seemed to cautiously get into the 25 market with the floor mock-up at the 2006 SBS, getting some positive reaction before jumping in with both feet. I'm guessing they will do their homework and have been paying attention to what customers are currently asking for... a smart way to do (and grow) business.
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
The person who can afford an R-29 can also likely afford an American Tug, a Nordic Tug, or similar.

Have you priced a Nordic Tug recently? If Ranger prices a 29 on a comparable per-foot basis to the 25 or to compete with the Venture 29 I see it selling for at least $100K less than the Nordic.

My $0.02.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doryman wrote:
JamesTXSD wrote:
The person who can afford an R-29 can also likely afford an American Tug, a Nordic Tug, or similar.

Have you priced a Nordic Tug recently? If Ranger prices a 29 on a comparable per-foot basis to the 25 or to compete with the Venture 29 I see it selling for at least $100K less than the Nordic.

My $0.02.

Warren

Hi Warren,

I don't believe I've ever seen boats priced on a comparable per-foot basis. The CD-25 is less than 15% longer than the 22, but more than 40% more in cost. The CD-25, the TC255, and the R-25 are all about the same length, but there is a big difference in their respective prices. I doubt that you'll see an R-29 that is less than 20% more than an R-25. All speculation, of course, since we haven't see one, yet. Wink

My point was: if someone can afford a $200k+ boat, it isn't that much more of a stretch percentage-wise to move up. I.E. lots of people can afford to plunk down $20k on a boat... fewer can do $100k... even fewer $200k... but by the time you get to those numbers, the percentage points are much closer together. I would certainly expect a price difference between the Ranger and the 32' Nordic Tug... but for the person who would buy the Nordic Tug, what could the R-29 offer (besides price) that would sway them that direction?

As a former business owner, I found price is less important to buyers than value, especially regarding higher-end products. This product isn't going to be seriously considered by someone on a constrained budget. Neither of the current Ranger products could be considered inexpensive (especially when compared to other comparable size boats), but they convey value and fill a niche. I wouldn't expect Ranger to stray far from their successful business model.

My 3¢ worth, due to inflation. Cool

Best wishes,
Jim
denny48

City/Region: Peoria
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: Tugger
Photos: Tugger
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Wider 21 Reply with quote

Jim & Others,
Would it be possible and plausible for the 21 to be widened, say to 8 or 8.5'? That extra girth in the v-berth sure would be nice. Speaking of v-berths, the R-25 seemed very short to me when we were at the '06 show. You remember, where their first model was topless? Have they lengthened the v-berth, especially on the starboard side, or is it still a bit short?

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The R-29 is more than a rumor...when we had money down on an R-25, I made numerous visits to the Ranger factory following their progress on the boat. On one visit Dave Livingston took me in the office and showed me some preliminary drawings - this was two years ago. This was very much in Dave's and John's plans then. I'm sure we will be hearing from Ranger Jeff when the time is right! Here is a shot I took then called "Dave's Big Secret - a C-Ranger 30 ???"" it was a "C-Ranger" then of course...the joke about "big secret" is that the drawings were taped up on the wall in the office. There are a lot of Ranger factory pictures in the Daydream album here.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Westfield 11

City/Region: Woodland Hills
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hope that a Ranger 29 would still be trailerable and that they still keep it primarily a 2 person boat. The world does not need yet another Nordic type tug that "sleeps" 6 in 30 feet. There are going to be a ton of Boomers retiring in the next few years and a bigger R-25 with more room for two would seem to be a good idea.

Yes it would be heavy, but as someone posted to an earlier thread, "hotshot" truckers are not really expensive for seasonal relocation compared to the cost of buying, insuring and maintaining a big tow vehicle.

Not a C-Dory owner but a lover of the forum and the spirit of adventure found here. This is the best small boat cruising resource I have found to date. The travelogues are very inspirational and a great reminder of why we go down to the sea in ships (or small boats).
Belltown

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Moondance
Photos: Moondance
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who haven't seen them yet, Jeff Messmer has posted drawings and specs on The TugNuts: http://www.tugnuts.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23
Chester

City/Region: home
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its prolly more accurate to compare different size boat prices per-pound rather than per-foot.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the list, options, drawings etc--the "base price" (introductary) is about $239,000. Add in transportion, minimal extras (although some electronics are included), taxes, etc--you are looking at over $260,000--I would not be surprised to see a fully tricked out boat at close to $275,000, with trailer (needs permit). How times have changed. My first ocean going sailboat about this same size, cost me about $10,000 in 1962. My next boat which was 35 feet--two staterooms, with true stall shower--mail saloon--cost $22,000 in 1971...45 foot full racing boat ready to race to Hawaii cost $45,000 in 1975.

Frankly when I am looking at that type of money, I would be considering a larger used boat--but that is my personal preference.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Westfield 11

City/Region: Woodland Hills
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Frankly when I am looking at that type of money, I would be considering a larger used boat--but that is my personal preference.

I think for at least 50% of their perspective market this is the competition: a good well found used boat. I still question the wisdom of a second cabin in a boat under 30feet. I would rather see that space devoted to more living space foe a couple. Heck, for that kind of money I could buy any number of 40+ foot boats and have $100k change left over, that would go a long way towards having the boat transported to another cruising ground or towards mooring fees and other associated expenses
flrockytop

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: The Last One (to date)
Photos: C-LOVER
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard a rumor that Wefings will be getting one before long.
Roger Rockwell
Pensacola, Fl
BRAZO

City/Region: Full-time Travel
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meyer Meyer
Photos: BRAZO
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just sold our Sundowner 32 Tug for $85,000. Even though our Tug was a 1990 -- it was loaded (gen set, cummins 210, inverter, vac-u-flush, etc) and in great shape. I think the overall quality was much better than the newer tugs. Comparing the price to the 29' Ranger -- not sure a 29' would make sense -- at least to me.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the R-29 is truly trailerable, it's a different ballgame than anything 30' on up. I'd love to see a true weight on the first production R-29. Not that I plan to buy one, but my 3/4 ton truck would haul 9000# of boat + 2000# of trailer.

And Bob, when you bought your first sailboat, cars were $2000. So everything is inflated. My first Catalina (74) was $4000, which included a day of how to sail. And the truck that pulled it was $4000. Both laste 10 years, the boat better than the truck.

And I still say the C-25 is a true bargain.

Boris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: