View previous topic :: View next topic  
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: "O the places we go" with Discovery Reply with quote

After a very long, difficult year of being caregivers, house builders, parents, and grandparents, the crew of Discovery has taken her out of the shed and we’re back on the road again.

On Nov. 5th, with a temperature of 17 degrees and in a snowstorm, we left Richfield, Utah and headed off for our new adventure. We were joined by new C-Dory owners of a 22 cruiser (Kurbit), Brent’s sister Joann and brother-in-law, Jeff.

Our cross-country trip had us “standing on the corner in Winslow, Az, watching for aliens in Roswell, NM, and eventually working our way towards a warm, sunny winter in Florida. After 5 days on the road, we met “Wild Blue” and crew in Apalachicola.

We had a great time in Apalachicola—thanks in great part to Mark Grove from Wefings Boat Dealership. What a terrific person that would do anything he could to make you comfortable—including inviting you to dinner at his house without getting permission from his wife, Anita. They were the best of hosts that boiled up a “mean” pot of shrimp and barbequed Spanish Mackerel for tacos that were out of this world. The evening was complete with wine and good conversation.

During the next two days we motored west on the GIWW to Panama City Marina. During the trip we had a few mishaps with the motors and the new impellors Brent had installed before leaving Utah. For future reference Sierra Part # 18-3031 does not fit a Honda BF 135—close, but that only counts in horseshoes. Luckily we had the old parts and we were in front of John’s house (partner of Wefings) at Bay City on the Apalachicola river. Mark gave us permission to use the launch ramp and raft up for the night. Jim also took the opportunity to replace his bilge pump that had seized up. We didn’t see any alligators on the launch ramp. The only blood that was shed was when Brent slipped on the slimy concrete.

The next day we meanered west and made a stop at the new courtesy dock in White City. We ended the day on the hook, in the north fork of Wetappo Creek. As the sun went down the “no-see-ums” came out. Kurbit and Wild Blue dinghyed to Discovery for wine and conversation. Great time!

Next stop was the Panama City marina. They were very hospitable with nice showers and laundry facilities. It was there that we truly saw our lives flash before our eyes as Mother Nature put on an hour long lightening display that included a strike of a sailboat mast within the marina. We hunkered down in our C-Dorys as the wind reached speeds of 57 kts. and it rained a couple of inches. The next few days were spent touring around Panama City in a rental car that was a bit too small for six. Brent considered riding in the trunk but we ruled that out. We shopped a bunch and ate at some great places.

On Nov. 17th (Monday) the wind had calmed and we decided to go out the pass to make the run from Panama City to Port St. Joe. Seas were 1-2 ft. and we ran comfortably for about 30 miles. This was Kurbits first run in the big water, and they did great. At Port St. Joe we went back to the GIWW and evening found us back at the Marina at Apalachicola. At that point we had traveled 125 miles and used 56 gal. of fuel. It was chilly, in the mid 30’s, and we were glad to have shore power to run our heaters.

The next morning, we loaded the boats back on the trailers and prepared to head south for warmer weather. We stayed in Busnell Fl. and it was still cold. Our original plan was to boat the west coast of Florida, but the weather forecast was for continued cold. We discussed options but decided the only ‘for sure’ warm weather was going to be in the Keys. We traveled the Keys two years ago with Wild Blue and loved the area. The Kurbit crew was new at boating with the C-Dory and was excited to see the area. Much to our dismay, Wild Blue decided to not travel further south, but to find warmer weather in tropical Texas. We sadly said good-by and continued south on I-75. We passed thru Punta Gorda—that was where we launched in ’07 –and noted good improvements in the facilites there. We stopped at BullDog Boatworks in Ft. Myers and looked at the C-Dory inventory. We showed a potential TomCat buyer Discovery and answered questions about living aboard. BullDog staff was grateful and we were glad to show off Discovery.

We leisurely traveled the Tamiami (Highway 41) and stopped frequently to view the wildlife. They don’t call it alligator alley for nothing. This is definitely not typical Utah wildlife!

Before time for sundowners we had pulled into the Jolly Roger RV park in Marathon with a temperature of 75 degrees with lows projected in the mid 60s. Now this is winter weather! It’s off season for another month and the RV space was only $40—great for the Keys. The park is currently less than half full.

Kurbit crew enjoyed the drive down—we’ve come about 3000 miles from Utah without any problems. Fuel prices continue to drop almost daily. Currently land gas is $2.00/gal here. No idea for marine fuel prices yet. There are northerlys blowing in for the next few days with small craft advisories, so we will stay put in the RV park. We are investigating RV storage nearby and plan to launch and circumnavigate the keys for the next month. Watch for up-coming posts!

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super !! We are not far behind....we are still in Ocean Springs...then on Wed we plan on heading to Pensacola for a few days with Dr. Bob...then on into Florida.... sounds like you'all are blazing a good trail fer us...

Joel
SEA3PO
Texas Steve

City/Region: Fairview
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: Slow 'n Easy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll stay tuned with avid interest to learn more about your Keys adventure. We plan to make that trip in late February or early March and really like to hear about experiences (both good and bad). Tips on worthwhile itineraries and decent marinas are always appreciated.

Travel safely and know that many of us are along with you in spirit!

Steve and Ruth Frisch
Savannah, Texas
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brent and Dixie,

Good to hear you made it to the Keys. We'll be following along with your reports here.

So you have proof that Jeff made that run, here's a couple shots of Discovery and Kurbit in the Gulf...

Keep us posted. Very Happy

Best wishes,
Jim
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Brent & Dixie,
Well there you go...rushing down to the Keys and not a even wave. Passed us right by and here I was slaving over boat repairs and no help....wo is me. Very Happy

If you are down by the bay there at The Jolly Roger, please keep an eye peeled for a 8 foot oar. I lost one out in Florida Bay and it might be onshore by now. Please clean off all the sea grass and barnicals and bring it back to me when you head home in the spring. There is a reward.

Hope you have a wonderful time as Judy and I did while down there. We just wished we could have stayed longer.

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
Discovery

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim. Thanks for adding the pictures.

Mike, we will keep an eye out for lost objects.

Joel and Susan. Keep us posted on your progress south.

We spent yesterday looking around Marathon. There are at least two places with RV and trailer storage. Near the Jolly Roger is Briers Storage. A fenced yard (almost full) and reported to cost $75.00/month. We got there after closing and will talk to them today. Just east of the 7 mile bridge is Knights RV Park. Lots of room in a huge grassy field. Cost is $65.00/unit/month. So the truck and trailer would be $130.00/month.

The hard part is where to launch from. The ramp at Knights is short, shallow and with a huge hole at the end of the ramp. I fear backing in and dropping the trailer wheels off the end. It looks like a 5' or 6' hole off the concrete. There is a well protected marina here and a short walk from the RV storage. A mile or so away on 33rd street (bay side) is the Yacht Club. The city of Marathon has a launch ramp here. It's OK but not ideal. there is a hole at the end of the ramp, but also a concrete curb/stop at the end of the ramp. It should keep the trailer wheels from dropping off. Its a few miles run west, then under the 7 mile bridge, and into the marina at Knights. If we chose to launch at the city ramp, and park at Knights.

The only ramp we have found near Briers is at the Jolly Roger RV park. Here the ramp is narrow, short and full of sea grass. Only on a high tide would this ramp be usable. That is if we can get it cleaned up.

The weather report is for 20 kt winds from the north/northwest for the next 48 hrs. We will explore more and look for other launching solutions.

Brent
Nan-C

City/Region: Oakland
Vessel Name: Nan-C
Photos: Nan-C
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having experienced our own long, very difficult year last year, we know how much you need and deserve a great trip. Enjoy! We hope to launch at Key Largo after Christmas to get in a trip before Nancy begins mid-February the run-up to double knee replacement the first of March.

Regards to all,

Greg
Discovery

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little research on the web. The Active Captain site is wonderful. The "on the water" section lists numerous launch ramps close to us. Now out to do some visual inspection.

Brent
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent and Dixie

Great to see yall on the waters again. Will be tracking your travels and keep me posted on some type of very loose long range plans please. In Stanwood/Oak Harbor WA now working on a project, but will return to the SE for Thanksgiving. Will make it down to FL at some point after the first of the year for a crossing over to Bahamas to help a friend get his boat over.

My boat plans to stay on the Cumberland River for a few months so if yall come back up land/ in land let me know. We may just need to plan some type of rendezvous down south somewhere for a bunch of us to get together.

Still planing on making the Seattle Boat Show (Read C-Brat fun stuff with folks around the gathering) during that time frame.... for I think the 4th year in a row now. 23-25Jan09 timeframe.

Safe Travels....

Byrdman

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent below is a list of public boat ramps in the Keys. I agree Active Captain is a great site and very user friendly. Enjoy the warm weather it's cold in NE Florida.

http://www.monroecounty-fl.gov/pages/MonroeCoFL_MarineRes/PublicBoatRamps.pdf

Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvin, I have given some thought to launching, and storing the rig, at Marco Island and cruising from there to the Keys. Marco Island appears to be about as far south as you can drive on the west coast of FL and I have spoken to the marina there about storage. I don't know if getting from Marco Island to Key Largo is difficult or not. Can you (and other FL people) advise? Marathon is obviously much closer to the Keys but I suspect Brent chose it so the folks in the 22 would be not as far from their motor home (right, Brent?)

Thanks,
Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
marvin4239

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren I wish I could help you but I've never boated in the Keys as you are. The few times I've been were just days trips and we put in at Bahia Honda State Park but that was a long time ago. I'm hoping to come down there some time in late January so I'm anxious to see what you find. Hopefully someone who knows the area will chime in. I can tell you if you find yourself around the Homestead area crime is or use to be terrible. I wouldn't leave my rigs unattended unless in a gated campground.
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marvin4239 wrote:
I can tell you if you find yourself around the Homestead area crime is or use to be terrible. I wouldn't leave my rigs unattended unless in a gated campground.

Yes, I have heard many similar cautions about the east coast of FL. I intend to confine my cruising to the west coast and the keys.

Warren
Nan-C

City/Region: Oakland
Vessel Name: Nan-C
Photos: Nan-C
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ramp at Pennekamp on Key Largo will not work for Discovery. For those for whom the location will work, the ramp is outstanding -- and that is an understatement. Boats much larger and with considerably greater displacement than 25s and Tomcats launch with ease.

Regards to all,

Greg
marvin4239

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doryman wrote:
marvin4239 wrote:
I can tell you if you find yourself around the Homestead area crime is or use to be terrible. I wouldn't leave my rigs unattended unless in a gated campground.

Yes, I have heard many similar cautions about the east coast of FL. I intend to confine my cruising to the west coast and the keys.

Warren

Warren didn't mean to scare you away but Homestead and especially Florida City is bad. I think you are pretty well alright from Miami North.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: