The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

North Pacific 28?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Best Day

City/Region: Long Beach
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Best Day
Photos: Best Day
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: North Pacific 28? Reply with quote

I opened up my new Sea magazine and stumbled across this new trawler being made by North Pacific.

http://www.northpacificyachts.com/npy28.pdf

It sounds very nice and should give the new Nordic Tug 26 a run for it's money. Updates specs according to the North Pacific owners forum are 100 gallon fuel tank and a Cummins 130 Hp diesel.

I thought you Ranger fans might be interested.

Bill
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We talked to the importer at the Anacortes Trawlerfest about this boat. At that time, it was only an idea and an artist's sketch. It appears to be the same sketch and some nice specs. I wouldn't get too excited until you see a real photo of a real boat! Remember the term Vaporware?

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
REt46

City/Region: Fergus
State or Province: ON
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Getting a R29 for the cost of a R25 Reply with quote

As someone looking around for small trawler the North Pacific 28 looks nice and seems well priced against revivals such as the Ranger Tug boats. It looks like you can get boat comparable to the Ranger Tug R29 for the price of a Range Tug R25. That should make it a swift seller especially in the economic mess North America is in now.

When can I get one out here in Ontario?

RET
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you have to compare the North Pacific 28 directly to the Ranger 25--It is not going to be comperable to the Ranger 29. The North Pacific is a considerably smaller boat than the Ranger 29.

Agree it is a nice looking boat--and I saw the same drawings as Pat did. With a 130 or 150, it probably will have comperable speeds as the Ranger 25.

Is a Oriental built boat better than a US built boat?

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
REt46

City/Region: Fergus
State or Province: ON
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Ranger Tug R29 is bigger Reply with quote

I think you are probably right as the R29 is a bigger boat especially with the extra 18" of beam and the extra length. It will be interesting to see what Ranger Tug does with the interior layout as I have not seen any published drawings yet. I can’t comment on the quality levels of Chinese built boats as I do not know anything about that.

RET
Westfield 11

City/Region: Woodland Hills
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Is a Oriental built boat better than a US built boat?

That depends upon the builder doesn't it? I am sure that a Fleming is better constructed than a Sea Ray, just as a Grand Banks is better built than a Carver.

Not a C-Dory owner but a lover of the forum and the spirit of adventure found here. This is the best small boat cruising resource I have found to date. The travelogues are very inspirational and a great reminder of why we go down to the sea in ships (or small boats).
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question was rethorical--but there are some very badly built asian boats. I sent a lengthy PM to Westfield 11. I won't discuss the quality of the North Pacific 28, since I have not seen one in person, or run one. But I can form rough judgements based on other boats which I have seen at the recent boat shows.

What is most telling is what the boat looks like 3 to 5 years down the line. We have some Ranger 25's which are at the 3 year level and they seem to be holding up very well.

I have owned--and crossed oceans in Taiwan boats--and might buy one again. I prefer to buy American if I can find a comperable or better product.

Interesting choice of two mid high end Asian boats--because both are pretty to look at, but are not perticularly the best sea boats. (and I have spent a fair amount of time on both GB and Flemming)
Westfield 11

City/Region: Woodland Hills
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, but we were discussing build quality, not seakeeping ability. That is a function of design not construction for the most part. If you want to see quality go aboard a 30 year old Hatteras and poke around behind the bulkheads and under the decks and sole. They don't build them like that anymore, not even by Hatteras! Look on Yachtworld: for the price of a new Ranger you could buy a well equipped and maintained 53 Hatteras or similar Viking or Bertram. Of course the yearly expenses would have you in the poorhouse and they only get 1mpg at hull speed, but still.....

Anyone with cash in hand in a couple of years will be able to buy a lot of boat for very little money if that's your cup of tea.
Chester

City/Region: home
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I've heard second hand accounts of North Pacific 43's having premature problems with various systems. Dunno if this sort of thing could explain their price point.

Please note this report is worth exactly what you paid for it.
TomRay
Dealer

City/Region: Punta Gorda
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
I think that you have to compare the North Pacific 28 directly to the Ranger 25--It is not going to be comperable to the Ranger 29. The North Pacific is a considerably smaller boat than the Ranger 29.

Yes, the stats look very close to a Ranger 25. Some of these boats make me long for an industry standard on just how we measure the darn things.

Ranger 25 is 24'7" of boat, but it's 28'5" overall if you include the pulpit and swim platform. Based on industry standards, that might be called anything from a 24 to a 29. Looks like Ranger calls it a 25, while North Pacific calls it a 28.

Both boats are 8'6" wide, and both weigh about 7,000 lbs.

If we're going to compare to the Ranger 29, that boat would have to exist, wouldn't it?

The RUMORED Ranger 29 might just be 33 feet long, counting all appendages, if it ever becomes more than a rumor. It might be 10 feet wide, and might weigh almost twice what a 25 weighs. But that's just stuff you hear on the street.

thataway

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ranger 29 is far more than a rumor. It will be in boat shows shortly.
As I understand it, the Ranger folks want to get it "right" before revealing the pictures, sea trials etc. That makes sense, and we get less in the way of rumors.

As for build quality--you make my point with the Hatteras, vs Taiwan boats of that era. But you can buy some very nice and well built Taiwan boats 20 years old, for what a Ranger 25 runs--for example we have been following a very nice Ocean Alexander 48 whose price has been falling as fast as the stock market. Even with the build quality, the 30 plus/minus year old Hatterae have some issues--including cosmetics, the engines--most of which were GMC two cycles, and dated systems/electronics. As a person who has restored several older boats--they can be a real buy, but you have to know exactly what needs to be done and what the costs will be.

As for the Grand Banks quality--not all have been that good. A few years ago, I was aboard some new boats which I felt had substandard workmanship. I think that a certain amount of this was due to changes in plant locations, and non standard workmanship.
mcc272

City/Region: Long Island Sound
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Star
Photos: C-Star
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some great boats built in Asia and some not so great ones just as with American built boats. I think that you should be suspicious of a boat where you appear to be getting so much more for your money than a comparable boat of another brand. The cost savings have to come from somewhere and frequently, it is not only the labor costs of offshore build but includes inferior components, poorer quality resins, a hull layup with a different lamination schedule and other areas.

As to the North Pacific, I have only seen one North Pacific 43. It was in the yard where we used to keep our boat. It was there for repairs as the bow pulpit had broken off while the boat was at anchor. It was rather impressive damage as we had not had a particularly significant blow at the time. That experience, which is quite recent, did not give me a good feeling about the quality of the construction of this brand.

As to the North Pacific 28, some of you will recognize the drawing from the May/June 2007 PassageMaker Magazine article on trailerable boats. It was shown as the work of Chesapeake Marine Design and the plans were (and still are) available for self build or custom build. It seems that North Pacific has negotiated some form of non exclusive license to build the boat

North Star, 2011 Rosborough RF-246
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The think that I noticed about the difference in price is the Electronics. Correct me if I'm wrong but the ranger comes standard the raymarine system of multi screen radar and radio. I cant find any on the list of stock items on the North pacific. That could add a lot of money, $6000, to the price tag.
Best Day

City/Region: Long Beach
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Best Day
Photos: Best Day
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew I had seen that photo before! It looks like North Pacific has bought the design from Chesapeake Marine Design and changed the hull.

For what it is worth North Pacific is saying the boat will be available spring of 09. The owner of North Pacific is in China until December working out the details.

Their ad in Sea magazine says 28 feet long hull. I would assume that means without swimstep or pulpit. That would make the boat 3 feet longer than the ranger 25. They also are estimating a dry weight of 7,000 pounds.

The boats sound like they will be fitted inside like the bigger North Pacifics with teak cabinetry, teak and holly floors and corian countertops. They even say they will have a 600 AH battery bank and forced air heating.

I don't want to start slamming a boat before it is even being produced but I do think that the companies past boats will be good indicators of their new boats. With this in mind does anyone here have any experience with the larger North Pacifics? If so what is your impression?

I'm not in the immediate market for a new boat but I'm always keeping my eye out for my next "last boat".

Bill
Dene

City/Region: Kalama
Vessel Name: Fear Naut & Terra-Sea-Ta
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The floorplan is almost identical to my 27' Devlin except my 44 hp engine is located aft bulkhead instead of the stern.

Personally, I'd go with the Ranger and the 150 Cummins.

-Greg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: