View previous topic :: View next topic  
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Roof rack modification help Reply with quote

Trying to devise a way to elevate my Tender off the top of the cabin about 3 inches.
Would like to attach some cross members to the existing top rails.
Haven’t been able to locate off the shelve stainless rail clamps to make the mod, maybe someone knows a source?
I’ve been looking around the site with no success.

Help with ideas or resources much appreciated

Thanks,

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
doc

City/Region: Auke Bay
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Bella Rey
Photos: C-Alaska
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, I just posted some pics I took of my brother's set-up atop his CD22, Sound Investment, in my album for C-Alaska. He has been using this for about 4 years now and seems to be holding up well. Let me know if you have questions and I can put you in touch with him. Steve
Nan-C

City/Region: Oakland
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Nan-C
Photos: Nan-C
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.bosunsupplies.com carries take-apart/hinged slide fittings that I have used. Good quality/good service.

Greg
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you find suitable items, let me know. Laughing I want to do the same thing. Thanks

John
Swee Pea
1TUBERIDER

City/Region: Crescent City
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfboard racks could be clamped to the bars. Yakima makes a rack without the surfboard bungies. The bars can be ordered various lengths to fit your needs.
The racks usually have a rain gutter clamp which could be modified to fit. The tower is what gives your elevation and the yakima has various tower sizes. Then use the strap tie downs and you are ready to get underway.

On a budget you could mount 2 x 4 's with a ubolt and then come up with a strap tie down.

C-Green

City/Region: Houghton
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: C-Green
Photos: C-Green
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: roof rack Reply with quote

I used a standard Yakima roof rack on my CD-22. I have the high top so I got the high tower model. The attachment was for the old type rain gutters and they clamped onto the grab rail with a little persuasion. Also had to put a double bend (easy to do with a vise, a little harder with visegrips) in the Yakima supplied wrench that tightens the clamps; the high top got in the way of using the wrench. Didn't need to bend the cross bars as C-Alaska did; they cleared the top center by a couple of inches.
breausaw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doc wrote:
Jay, I just posted some pics I took of my brother's set-up atop his CD22, Sound Investment, in my album for C-Alaska. He has been using this for about 4 years now and seems to be holding up well. Let me know if you have questions and I can put you in touch with him. Steve

Steve,

Please put me in touch with your bother, I’d like to now where he purchased the Yakima unit; the rail clamps and cross members is all I’d need.

Sent you a PM,

Thanks
tpbrady

C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay,

I don't know if you saw my modification, but I took a couple of stainless steel rail mounts for a VHF antenna, welded a stainless T over the threads and added a 1 in steel tube across it with two end caps. In the center it clears the roof by about 1.5 inches. On the rear I used u-bolts to clamp the 1 inch tube to the rear vertical support of the radar arch.

38 Trawler Mia Terra 2012-2015
42 Nordic Tug 2015-
28 KingFisher 2009-2014
14 Jetcraft 2000-
17 Scanoe 1981-
breausaw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpbrady wrote:
Jay,

I don't know if you saw my modification, but I took a couple of stainless steel rail mounts for a VHF antenna, welded a stainless T over the threads and added a 1 in steel tube across it with two end caps. In the center it clears the roof by about 1.5 inches. On the rear I used u-bolts to clamp the 1 inch tube to the rear vertical support of the radar arch.

I’ll have to check that out Tom, actually looked at the antenna rail mounts thinking they had possibilities. It’s the stainless weld part I’d have issues with; it always seems to lose its corrosion properties even with stainless wire.
The stainless wire for my Lincoln costs a fortune.
tpbrady

C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay,

I don't have any corrosion on mine after 5 years. You can see where the welding discolored the metal but no evidence of corrosion.
C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a roof rack out of cheap wood. Cost less than any mount system. Painted white. Pops on and of easily . No alteration to the boat. Very strong. Can hold anything you care to put up topside. Makes a great sun deck. Makes a great shade for the cabin in the hot South. A few pics in my album.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's Chris' roof rack and a LINK to his album with several more photos.

Nice Job, Chris. Very practical!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
breausaw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-WEED wrote:
I made a roof rack out of cheap wood. Cost less than any mount system. Painted white. Pops on and of easily . No alteration to the boat. Very strong. Can hold anything you care to put up topside. Makes a great sun deck. Makes a great shade for the cabin in the hot South. A few pics in my album.

Chris,

Nice looking roof rack, I like it!

Could use cider in combination with composite decking held together with ceramic coated deck screws. I suppose cheap wood would work just a good, the composite decking is heavy.

It’s got me thinking, the brain is swelling here!

Thanks for sharing,
C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea-Wolf Joe, breausaw:

Thanks for the comments. I am far from any metal fabrication so cheap pine wood is what I tried. If the prototype didn't work I wouldn't be out much. I used a router to make a u-shaped channel on the two base rails. This allows them to balance above the rails. The proper height side rails will allow the middle section to just barely clear the center roof. With a load it just kisses the center for support. The five notched out areas allow access to five band clamps per side and hold everything with no holes drilled in the boat. The band-clamp screws are on the backside of the base rails. They go thru slits cut midway in the base rails. I only installed four per side and it is very strong. Brass screws hold all the parts together. I decided to keep the middle deck narrow to allow airflow when cruising waterways and on the highway. The low profile doesn't seem to noticeable, wind wise.

The slated edges allow good hand holds as well as lashing points. My boat came with very large dock bumpers. I tie one inline with the helm seat. When I motor, I just pop it on the roof without untying and it rides in the channel of the open slates. Someone here on the site suggested using paint when I asked for a coating/sealant recommendation. I used a few coats of some latex house paint I had and it is quite durable. No touch-ups yet. I think the white rack with the white boat looks good. A better paint match might be even better.

When I laid it all out on the roof I would get the spacing parallel with the cabin top on one side. Then I would measure the other side and find it off! After a bit of head scratchin. I realized the two metal rails taper in slightly as they go forward. Not much of a woodworker, but I couldn't be happier with the utility of how it turned out. Especially for the small $$$ invested.
breausaw

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,
Thanks for the further construction tutorial; I like the self portrait ZZZzzzzZZZZZ.
Defiantly gives me some ideas because I’d like to have a raised platform, will make a nice spring project when the winter covers come off.

Jay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Dinghys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: