rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the dinghy you get doesn't have a metal floor or transom, you can also place one end of the dinghy on top of the radar dome. The radar will see through it just fine. I think others on the site do that.
Blindbaybob

City/Region: Kamloops
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Grey C'Lune
Photos: Grey C'Lune
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought a very light, small dinghy - a Sevylor Fish Hunter, 8 foot I think, and it fits on top just in front of our low radar arch. There are pictures in our Grey C'Lune album under "Dinghy". In the pictures, the dinghy looks high in the stern, because we were also stowing a fabric carrier that held our crab trap and various items, but when that is not on top, the dinghy sits flat on the roof very nicely.
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for all of the replies Reply with quote

Rabbits Hutch wrote:

How do I find the "Gulf Island Cruise 2008" album? Is there a hyper link somewhere? Would love to see those photos.
Thanks,
Gary R.

Gary, at the top header of this page click on "Photos", then click on "Cruises and Events", then click on "Canadian Gulf Islands 2008". Once there cursor down on page 1 and at the bottom of that page you will find a pix of "Sea Shift" with a Alaskan Series dinghy on top of it. My arch is too short for the Alaskan Series to scrunch under it, but you can see that it works well. A few moments after we tried that dinghy on it, we tried one that is the next size up and it also worked, but did hang over the brow a bit.

(Note: If you see other pictures of "Sea Shift" in that "photo album" with a dinghy on top....it is the one that I currently use, but I'm not that "jazzed" on it and in time will most likely switch to the Alaska Series).

(Thank you Charlie for the short cut to the album, but as mentioned it is the other "Gulf". I wish I was able to join in on the southern gulf gathering... Laughing )

C-Brat #16
Rabbits Hutch

City/Region: Seal Beach, CA
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Rabbit's Hutch
Photos: Rabbit's Hutch
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: More Great Information Reply with quote

DaveS:

Great pictures from your cruise. The Alaskan looked like a nice size for a 22' Cruiser with the low arch. It didnt even come over the brim.

What length was that particular inflatable? Do you recall?

I could see myself wanting a size longer, even if it means going over the brow a bit. Plus, as I'm looking closely at the Zodiac "Cadet" line with the tapered tubes towards the aft end, that portion would most likely slide under the arch given what others have previously mentioned...

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Cant think of anything I would rather be doing on a Sunday besides shopping for more boat "stuff."

Gary R.

Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I went shopping for an inflatable I needed to decide between a 7'7" and an 8'8" model. I wanted to know how each would fit atop my cabin. So I dragged Adeline over to the inflatable dealer and threw an 8'8'' 'er up there. Positioned her both forward and backwards. I ended up selecting the 77 although either would have worked. Pictures here and here. In all photos the boat is positioned so that the light stalk is not obstructed.

Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for all of the replies Reply with quote

DaveS wrote:
...at the bottom of that page you will find a pix of "Sea Shift" with a Alaskan Series dinghy on top of it. My arch is too short for the Alaskan Series to scrunch under it, but you can see that it works well. A few moments after we tried that dinghy on it, we tried one that is the next size up and it also worked, but did hang over the brow a bit.

Here you go, good buddy...and thanks a bunch for the info. I had no idea the small AK would fit up there so well.

I assume by small, that's the 220TDS? That's the model I have my eye on, so it's great that I don't have to delve into "arch modification"...

DaveS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,
We need to get Fred of "Anita Marie" and Joe of "R Matey" to help us out here with the sizes of their respective Alaskan Series as they were present during the "fitting" of their Alaskan Series. The one pictured in your post above is the smaller of the two. We put "Anita Marie's" on top as well and I believe that everyone present for the fitting agreed that the larger of the two would work. According to my "memory".. Rolling Eyes ..Fred felt there would be no interference for my radome in capturing an adequate "picture" on the chartplotter/radar.
I do know that I'd rather have the larger of the two.
Da Nag

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveS wrote:
According to my "memory".. Rolling Eyes ..Fred felt there would be no interference for my radome in capturing an adequate "picture" on the chartplotter/radar.

And if the image is obstructed, that's a relatively minor issue - compared to arch replacement. I'd assume the radome could simply be raised on the existing arch, via a pedestal.

No AK inflatable for me at this year's SBS, but maybe next.
DaveS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One drawback I see about the Alaskan Series is that an owner probably has to be a light sleeper and pack iron at all times, because I'd think some crook Evil or Very Mad would attempt to liberate it from your boat when you are not watching. (They are NICE dinghys!)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thru the years we have owned a number of inflatables. There is no substitute for a real dinghy--a paddle board or even a kayak cannot do the same things--despite each of these being excellent for what they are intended for. The dinghy is you station waggon, touring car and life boat.

We currently have several inflatables, including the 6'6" wooden transom, slat floor, West Marine (Zodiac), and a 9'6" inflatable floor. We also owned an 8' wooden transom slat floor (Zodiac). My experiences early on with the round inflatables, and un-reinforced (slat type of inflatable floor) was that they were unstable when you got in the boat--and we have avoided them for years. The Alaskian boats are very well made--and may be an exception to this. We used both the 8' and 6'6" inflatables on our CD 22, and I believe that either would have been OK with a low arch. We kept the 6'6" boat and used it exclusively this summer in the PNW--it is tight, but do-able with one 200 lber and one 120 lber aboard....plus a small dog, but the 8' boat has a lot more room. Remember than a 6'6" boat will only have about 4 feet of usable length in the actual hull (18" overhand aft, and 12" tube foreward--the 8 boot boat increases this to 5.5 feet inside of the boat. A 9'6" boat gives you almost 8 feet inside of the boat. Also consider how fast you want the dinghy to go--none of the boats you are considering will plane--and most likely you will row (a bit of frustration if going any distance) or a 3 hp engine. If you want to plane, you need to have a inflatable floor, and at least 6 hp--better 8 hp.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
R-Matey

City/Region: Bow
Vessel Name: R-Matey
Photos: R-Matey
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: More Great Information Reply with quote

[quote="Rabbits Hutch"]DaveS:

Great pictures from your cruise. The Alaskan looked like a nice size for a 22' Cruiser with the low arch. It didnt even come over the brim.

What length was that particular inflatable? Do you recall?

The length of R-Matey's Alaska Series is 7'3". It is 4'5" wide. Weight 40# Model #220TDS

The Alaska Series that Fred (Anita Marie) has is 7'10", same width but weighs 45#. Model #240TDS.

This information is from the 2006 Seattle Boat Show spec sheet.
Rabbits Hutch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Hyper Link To Alaska Series Inflatables?? Reply with quote

Does anyone have the link to the company that sells the Alaska Series??

Thanks,

Gary R.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, I'm sure you can order or find dealers from the MANUFACTURERS WEB SITE .

Good luck.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Rabbits Hutch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: wow Reply with quote

Those are very expensive inflatables....
Da Nag

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: wow Reply with quote

Rabbits Hutch wrote:
Those are very expensive inflatables....

No argument at all there...but as should be obvious from the many C-Brats who own them, the quality is pretty amazing. It's certainly overkill for many.

I was also quite hesitant when I first saw the prices, but after seeing them in person at the SBS, I decided I'd take the plunge when the time comes. I've not seen another inflatable anywhere near the quality. And, given the abuse my dogs and travels will provide, I consider the premium worth it for peace of mind.

One note - buyers can save a little cash, if buying at the SBS. He does run show specials, and if ordered early enough, delivery can be arranged...not sure if that deadline has passed or not. I've not seen them packaged up, but given the weight (most are under 50 lbs.), I'm guessing they could be brought back home on an airline.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: