Placing Tender on Roof w/ Low Radar Arch
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rabbits Hutch

City/Region: Seal Beach, CA
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Rabbit's Hutch
Photos: Rabbit's Hutch
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Placing Tender on Roof w/ Low Radar Arch Reply with quote

Hi All,

Upon purchasing my 2006 22' Cruiser, it came with a free radar arch with rocket launchers as part of a factory incentive. Unfortunately, this means I cant place the tubes of a tender under the arch once I select and purchase one.

Has anyone placed a tender on the roof with this type of arch????

If I'm considering an 8' zodiac, any idea how far forward of the windshield's brow the tender will hang over?? Just a foot or so if I purchase a smaller 7' 11" type of zodiac ??

Could use some sincere guidance before I order a tender by mail and have it shipped stateside.

I'm in Iraq at the moment so I simply cant measure the available space versus a dingy's length.

But, as it's winter now everything is on sale for leftover boats. Seems that now is the time to buy.

Also, does anyone have any connections in the marine industry as to who might have a leftover model zodiac or alaskan dink??? I would have it shipped to my parents address in CT and let it sit until my return in the summer. Not even sure if an Alaskan can be shipped to CT by ground...that may be cost prohibitive.

Thanks a bunch.

Gary R.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Arches Reply with quote

Why not get a High (or Tall) arch instead of the low one? then the Inflatable will fit under the arch. Just a thought. Maybe need to pay some difference if the Low arch is the free incentive. Just a thought.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Hayesie Daze

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Hayesie Daze
Photos: Hayesie Daze
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Placing Tender on Roof w/ Low Radar Arch Reply with quote

Hi Gary, I guess the question would be how far back you are going to put your arch? A real possible option would be to place your arch up forward and turn it around so that its canted toward the bow. This way you would hopefully be able to use the full roof for your tender and mount any lights or radar on the arch. As far as size dinghy's go, I have an 8 foot tender that I picked up for $300 from sportmansguide.com, its a Sevylor (which is owned by Stearns) and it is very sturdy and does the job just fine in AK. When stowed it is basically as far forward as the anchor light and hangs about a foot over in the cockpit (Its my porch on a rainy day). The smallest you can get is 6'6" i think but the weight capacity is fairly low. Hope this helps with some ideas.

Byron
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Arch alternatives Reply with quote

On rereading it looks like you already have the low arch installed. I guess it would depend on where it is mounted, (aft of cabin roof facing aft, or forward, or forward on the roof again facing which way). I have a radar post, forward cabin roof, and center, and was going to put my expensive alaskan knockoff over the radar dome. It will come right to the forward edge of the brow, and hang over the aft cabin roof several inches. I'm currently leaning towards an arch type support over the Outboard well, that will support one end of the inflatable there, and then teh other end will rest on the aft cabin roof, giving a bit of a covered cockpit without the enclosed camperback.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan of the low arch - looks better (subjective), and the rod holders are much easier to get at. However, I've been thinking about the tender issue for a few years. Don't have one yet, but once I do, I'll need to figure something out as well.

One thought I've had...make the low arch "convertible". Basically, cut the mounting plates off the low arch, then fab up four new posts that are 12-18" tall. These new feet would be of larger tubing, having an interior diameter large enough to slide the existing arch into.

The arch could sit all the way down inside the new feet, for the normal low height. When the tender was needed for a trip, the arch would raise up 4-6".

Two issues immediately come to mind:

- Cable slack would need to be sufficient, for anything mounted on top when the arch was in the "tall" position.

- Whatever locks the arch in place, would ideally be very solid and secure, but also easy to lock/unlock without running to the tool box.

That last one has me stumped.

Not For Hire

City/Region: Cadillac, MI
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mount your all around light on the arch by your radar. A dinghy will then fit on the roof but overhang the front brim a bit depending on size. Check the dinghys with tapered tubes. The tapered ends will wedge under the lower arch.
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: low arch mod Reply with quote

Da Nag said:
Quote:
- Whatever locks the arch in place, would ideally be very solid and secure, but also easy to lock/unlock without running to the tool box.

That last one has me stumped.

I bet not for long. Too many good ideas available in this community. Might try drilling through both the extension and the legs and put a pin like a hitch pin from the tow bar variety in. Could be one of the ones with a hinged tip, that drops to 90' once it is all the way through. Look into sailboat hardware. One or two of the pins could be actual locking trailer hitch pins, the others just the hinged variety. Might increase security.

I do agree, I like the looks of the lower arch, but since we don't fish, don't see much use for the rocket launchers.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da Nag wrote:

Take a trip down to your local medical supply house or CVS pharmacy and eyeball the adjustable legs that are used on walkers. So easy even a senior citizen can adjust it. There are variations on that theme used on commercial medical equipment as well. Maybe our resident Fire Dude, Reverend Dave could point you to more industrial strength versions. None of them should crimp or otherwise interfere with cables run inside the tubes. On the other hand, it isn't terribly secure from an enterprising thief.

Don

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sneaks wrote:

Take a trip down to your local medical supply house or CVS pharmacy and eyeball the adjustable legs that are used on walkers.
Maybe our resident Fire Dude, Reverend Dave could point you to more industrial strength versions.
Don

No suggestions from here on "industrial strength versions".....however I am attempting to visualize an upcoming generation of radar arches that are no more than someone securing an adjustable legged walker on the roof of their vessel with a radome and a few antennas affixed to it.... Rolling Eyes

With Sea Wolf Joe's expert craftsmanship, I'm thinking he could probably come up with at least a "doctored" picture of such a rigging... Wink

C-Brat #16
Rabbits Hutch

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Thanks For All The Great Replies Reply with quote

Given that the radar arch is already mounted since purchase, towards the far aft end of the cabin roof, and I want to do as little "construction" and make as little effort as possible each time the new tender will be used the best idea is as follows:

Have the roof top navigational light moved to the radar arch on a permanant basis, and simply ensure that the tender I purchase has tapered tips to the aft tubes (as the Zodiac cadet series does).

The downside seems to be a slight overhang in front of the windshield's brow, which I'm happy to accept in this case.

Seems like a much easier solution then a full reconfiguration of the arch itself.

Is this passing the common sense test gentleman??

Thanks,

Gary R.
1TUBERIDER

City/Region: Crescent City
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, I have the same rack on my angler and I like it. But I could not mount a raft forward of my rack because their is not enough distance. You gain 18 inches with the cruiser so maybe a short raft. If you have the rail on the cabin you could add a surf board type of rack to raise the raft. I am sure you will need to add supports and stuff to make it work.

However mounting your raft forward will be a pita because you will need to be forward to hoist it up. Therefore, I would think of the cockpit rack and use the raft as a cover. Or could your raft be mounted vertically in the cockpit by the aft bulkhead.

I don't like playing around on the bow or going to the forward deck for anything. I much prefer the hatch for access to the anchor and forward deck. I am usually in the ocean where it is not flat so the bow can be pretty rolly.

I would probably suggest waiting till you get home to deal with it. It is cheaper to measure twice and purchase once. Good luck with your project.

As to the raft I would use a stand up paddle board for my dinghy and it would be way easier to deal with and open other doors,

DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gary,
While docked at Genoa Bay with other C-Brats during the "Gulf Islands Cruise 2008", we tried out the shorter Alaska Series Inflatable on the roof of "Sea Shift". I have a somewhat shortened radar arch that does not allow the tubes of the inflatable to slide under. If you look at picture #22 in the "Gulf Island Cruise 2008" album you can see the Alaska Series Inflatable that belongs to "R Matey" that we placed on "Sea Shift". We also placed the next sized up Alaska Series that belongs to "Anita Marie" and although it did extend a bit over the brow it was certainly doable. Unfortunately, I'm unable to find a picture of that dinghy on "Sea Shift".
As to the sizes of both of these, perhaps "Anita Marie" or "R Matey" will chime in with that info.
I'm very impressed with the Alaska Series, but bear in mind they come with an "impressional" price tag.
Rabbits Hutch

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Thanks for all of the replies Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

How do I find the "Gulf Island Cruise 2008" album? Is there a hyper link somewhere? Would love to see those photos.

Thanks,

Gary R.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, go to the "Photos" link at the top and then down to "Cruises and Events" once that comes up. The latest are first in that album.

HERE it is to make it easy for you. Thumbs Up

Charlie[/url]

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie, I think Gulf coast and Gulf Islands are 1/2 a world apart ! Laughing
Merv

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: