HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

A New Twist on the Honda E2000i Gererator
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: A New Twist on the Honda E2000i Gererator Reply with quote

While browsing in a big boy's toy store (Port Angeles Power Equipment) yesterday, I noticed a new look to the Honda E2000i generator. The face plate had a 30 amp twist lock outlet and a 20 amp blade type outlet. The output is still the same, 13.3 amps constant.

The advantage is that two units can be hooked up with a simple $ 39.95 wire harness instead of a $199.95 kit. Also, your 30 amp shore power plug would fit without adapter.

They're $999.00 at Wise sales as opposed to $899.00 for the old style. http://www.wisesales.com/

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger,

That is good news. However, I hope anyone with the old design knows that you can buy that "yoke" for joining two 200i's and use it on only one genset. That, also will give you the 30 amp twist lock receptacle at the same amp output. That is what I have on my TomCat 255.

John
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you hook an older 2000i with the new without the pricey connection and still get 30 amps?
drjohn71a

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

It's been awhile since I read the instructions, but Yes, I think you need the 30 amp yoke to control the dual gensets. There is a diode or something in there to protect the gensets from one another. With this new model out, I am thinking you could buy that old yoke for less expense.

John
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that the two gensets have to be in phase, and that's what the original (expensive) connection did. I assume that there is now a way of slaving one of the new type of inverter to the other with just a normal cord.

Boris
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
Can you hook an older 2000i with the new without the pricey connection and still get 30 amps?
Jim, If by pricey, you mean the $299 item, yes. You only need the $39.95 cable set. The circuitry that used to be in the $299 part is contained in the new model 2000i. Thinking of getting a second one?
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreamer wrote:
Jim, If by pricey, you mean the $299 item, yes. You only need the $39.95 cable set. The circuitry that used to be in the $299 part is contained in the new model 2000i. Thinking of getting a second one?

I wonder if a mix of old 2000i and new 2000i will work with the cheaper cable set?

Don
drjohn71a

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,

The way they hook up, I am certain that as long as one has the 30 amp controller, the other will be OK. They just have these snap-in leads that connect to the yoke which isolates the input gensets. Just one isolator should isolate either genset or both.

This new change is certainly a great benefit to most users and should put Honda at the head of the pack for these small generators. The two, 2000i combo has greater performance and lower weight than the 3,000 i.

John
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you are talking about the Honda Standard Parallel cables that has the 30 amp receptacle?

What's the advantage of buying this over getting a Marinco adapter? You still have to deal with an adapter, at least on the older gensets.

Has anyone found a better price?

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
drjohn71a

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Honda parallel connectors allow you to connect two gensets. The parallel connector yoke bolts rigidly to one of the gensets, allowing stable lock-in of the 30 amp boat plug. The power cord adapter of which you speak is a bit longer overall than the depth of the attached Honda yoke, so it takes up more room and leverages against the simple 110 volt receptacle so that the power cable will not stay in place while powering or in rough anchorages. You have to tape or tie the power cable in place without the yoke.

The Honda parallel connector also has a breaker, switch, and amp gauge.

I put my genset in an aluminum box and the Marinco power cord adaptor is too long to fit in that tight space, but the yoke brings the 30 amp receptacle just inside the walls of the box opening and the boat's power cord twist locks tightly in place and stays there thru rough seas and trailering very well.

To put it another way, the boat's 30 amp power cord and plug in are very heavy - too heavy to stay in place when plugged into a 20 amp, 110V receptacle via the Marinco adabpter unless tied or taped in place.

I have used mine for two years in all conditions without problems.

John
Doryman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can determine, the $40 part is just two cables to connect two old-style EU2000i gensets. No 30 amp connector. If I want the 30 amp connector I have to buy the $200 parallel cable kit. Correct?

See: http://www.wisesales.com/HondaAccessories_New.html

Also, which kit? The RV kit with the "30A125V NEMA TT 30R RV receptacle" or the Home kit with the "30A125V NEMA L5-30 locking plug receptacle"?

Wise Sales shipping charges are pretty outrageous. Hopefully I can find another dealer that does not charge as much for shipping.

Warren
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roger,

Yeah, thinking about another 2000i. Not for the boat, but to carry in the 5th wheel. We decided against an installed generator because of weight, cost, and fuel (they recommend propane, since the 5th wheel already has that). Two Hondas would run the a/c and anything else we'd want. Since I already have one, for less than a grand I would be boondockable. Very Happy

Thanks for posting that info.

Best wishes,
Jim
drjohn71a

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren,

I have purchased ALL the past options in order to find a combo that would work on the boat, on the field (farmwork, spraying, etc.) and for the farmhouse (2 combined gensets). I am anchored out right now, but somewhere at home I have all the instructions. I am pretty sure you can read the manuals from Honda online. I did not get good info from the local Honda dealers in Wichita a few years ago when I was first searching.

The two simple cables allow you to plug in a variety of different 110V, 20 amp plug-ins, but limit the draw from each receptacle in a kind of complex pattern.

The yoke I bought has the twist lock, 30 amp connector, and it works great for the boat's marine power cord (30 amp twist lock). I bought an adaptor connector from twist lock to 30 amp RV for emergency use, but the diesel genset on the motorhome now has never failed.

So, I would order the 30 amp twist lock version. That is the most stable and easily adapted to the RV straight blade plug receptacle. If you got the RV straight blade receptacle, you could still adapt it to the twist lock, but the RV blade junction is not stable and loosens easily on a boat - and is less water resistant.

Right now I am at anchor up on the North end of Grand Lake, OK and it is in the low 40's outside with 30-35 mph winds, but I am warm and comfy inside the cabin (Wallas)with the Honda 2000i running on Economy mode just to run the computer, radio, and battery charger. Only on hot days running the A/C or running a 110V heater or microwave oven, 110 V coffee pot do I need the high speed on the genset.

I use a 12V coffee pot which still runs on low speed economy mode on the genset since the battery charger is slowly replacing the juice used by the coffeepot.

Another nice thing about the old Yoke setup is that it gives you extra, strong rails to hold the genset in place.

JOhn
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the new generator update. Finally, me waiting a bit has paid off a bit.

Byrdman

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
Doryman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a dealer on eBay that will sell the parallel kit for what Wise sells them for, and with free shipping! That will save me $40+.

After I put this kit, with the locking plug for marine use, on the genset, how do I use it with my RV? Is there a 30 amp locking-to-RV adapter or something?

This is a problem I assume Jim will encounter if he buys a 2nd 2000i -- or maybe not, since the new 2nd genset will have the 30 amp non-locking plug built in.

Thanks,
Warren
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: