The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Finishing Out Your Ranger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdleUp

City/Region: Smith Mountain Lake
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Linda Sue
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Finishing Out Your Ranger Reply with quote

I know it's not for everyone, but I like the high gloss look of woodwork. It's simple, cheap and for the most part, pretty rewarding to see the final product. All it takes is a quart of Polyurethane a good brush, sandpaper and some time.

I'm not sure if Ranger uses a stain on the wood or some type of teak oil, but I highly recommend you wipe it down with turpentine and lightly sand it. Some of the wood such as the door really raised the grain of the wood when the Poly was applied making it look real good. You can see it in the image.

Some of these shots are a bit premature and only have a few coats on will need to be sanded again for the final finish.

Enjoy!

This is the helm and I decided to just do the top and the handle trim work to enhance the flat teak.

This is the passenger side - I again did the top and trim work. In this image you can see it all come together with the combination of trim enhanced with the flat teak wood.

This is the aft table which really poped the entrance of the cabin. The original finish had water marks where someone had a drink on the counter and left a ring. I was able to re-finish the stain.

This is a shot of the door which didn't match any of the wall panels at all - it was light in color and flat. The poly really raised the grain on the wood and the door is now beautiful. The door is easily removed with just a few screws.

This is a shot of the glove box - I poly'ed both inside and out.

This is a close up of the glove box and a "wavey" handle we found at our local hardware.

This is the inside drink tray which really I had to re-stain & poly'ed

My Other Hobbies:
www.rotory.com - www.bigpickup.com

lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years back I did that to the interior of a sailboat. Dusting and cleanup are so much easier, no comparison.
TomRay
Dealer

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lloyds wrote:
Dusting and cleanup are so much easier, no comparison.

That's my main reason, but I love the shiny look too. Nice job, IdleUp!

Trinity

City/Region: Edmonds
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Trinity
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful!

We are doing the same to our interior wood. Winter project.............

IdleUp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned, I got two different answers regarding if the wood was teak oiled or stained. I also did the small teak trips that support the curtains and on both sides I could not get the Poly to work at all. I had to sand them down and re-stain them to get them right again. Does anyone know for sure what they put on the wood?

Thanks!
Trinity

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told they used Minwax, Helmsman Spar urethane indoor/outdoor - which is what I have been using on the interior or our tug. It also comes in a handy spray can which works great on the louvre doors.

Nancy
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The early boat I sea trialed (either 4 or 6) had both stained and varnished wood in the interior-Hopefully they are consistant with the finish. I agree that it is best to varnish all of the interior. I have not done that on my C Dories--and probably wil not, but it does look nicer.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
IdleUp

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trinity wrote:
I was told they used Minwax, Helmsman Spar urethane indoor/outdoor - which is what I have been using on the interior or our tug. It also comes in a handy spray can which works great on the louvre doors.

Nancy

Nancy

I was just thinking the other day about doing a few door panels - I know Loew's sells the Poly in spray cans as well but was not sure how the final product would look. How did your come out OK?

Thanks
Trinity

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The doors look great. In the instructions it said to put additional coats on before the wood was totally dry and then you don't have to sand between coats. I sprayed on 3 very light coats, 2 hours apart, and it worked perfect. I did my "test run" on the doors in the cockpit and they still look good as new 4 months later. I did this in our garage during the summer, so the outdoor air temp. would change things a bit.

Someone gave me a tip and said to wrap your sandpaper around a putty knife while sanding the slats. Worked great. I had a lot of sanding to do on the cockpit doors as the finish from the factory was coming off due to weather exposure.

Nancy
ckollerer

City/Region: Rio Vista
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Photos: Blue Bayou
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdleUp, great photos of great-looking teak. I've just rubbed all my teak once with Golden Teak Oil. It really brings out the grain variations and contrasts, and it's actually fun to rub the wood with a simple cloth dipped in the teak oil. Having seen your photos today, I am envious of that high gloss, but I don't know if I'd have the patience to remove pieces, add "wavey" handles, etc. It looks great; congratulations!!!
I do have a question: That nice Clarion radio I see to the starboard of the wavey handle.......have you got it hooked up to Sirius satellite radio? When I bought my R-25, the Clarion was puffed as "satellite capable." I have called Sirius, and they want the serial number of the radio, to activate the service. Can't find that anywhere.
Have spoken with my boat dealer, with Andrew at Ranger Tug, also, and neither of them have an answer. Also, I suspect one has to add a small antenna to the original Clarion setup. Anybody out there who has accomplished this with Sirius?? Thank You in advance, Blue Bayou

captd

City/Region: Chain of Lakes
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kon Tiki
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles,
You must buy two little boxes to receive sat radio. The radio is sat ready with all plugs in's ready to go. I think it was an extra $200 or so. And yup you will get a little magnetic antenna to go with it.
If you go online to "Sirius Radio" I think it is or was model MD4. the whole instruction manuel is in there.
Hope that helps
captd

2007 25 R Ranger (Mis Dee) sold 2008
2009 25 R Ranger (Lucky Fin) sold
1994 22 ft C-Dory ( Kon Tiki )
IdleUp

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Captd - I was wondering myself!!
IdleUp

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ckollerer wrote:
IdleUp, great photos of great-looking teak. I've just rubbed all my teak once with Golden Teak Oil. It really brings out the grain variations and contrasts, and it's actually fun to rub the wood with a simple cloth dipped in the teak oil. Having seen your photos today, I am envious of that high gloss, but I don't know if I'd have the patience to remove pieces, add "wavey" handles, etc. It looks great; congratulations!!!

The only thing I had to "Un-Bolt" was the glove box cover and the door on the John, actually there was less screws in my door than there was on the glove box.

All the trim work was just taped off - while not shown, I did the teak strips above the window - the strip around the rear base of the galley and throttle - and the teak strips around the outside edge of the galley counter.

Of course since your's is covered in oil now, I'm not sure of the results, I would do a small area like around the throttle control to see if the Poly reacts to the oil.
IdleUp

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a so-so shot of the galley trim - it really pops the counter area.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: