The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Transceiver Alarm System for your boat
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdleUp

City/Region: Smith Mountain Lake
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Linda Sue
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Transceiver Alarm System for your boat Reply with quote

Transceiver Alarm System for your boat

No matter where your boat is, at home, at the dock, if your like me you worry every time you lose direct sight of your pride and joy. With this in mind, I started looking at security systems for my boat. After I exhausted myself looking, I came up with a brain-storm – why not install the same system I have on my Honda Goldwing Trike.

The system I installed is called the Scorpio SR-i500 / SRi600 system. What makes the Scorpio unique is both the alarm and the hand held “Key Fob” is a complete transceiver which talk to each other. The way it works is when you arm the system, the main alarm module transmits data back to the remote to acknowledge the system received the signal and the system is armed. When you arm the alarm, the small lock icon on the remote that was open, now shows it locked. The beauty of the system is if your in a restaurant or tackle shop out of sight of your boat and someone steps in the cockpit, The perimeter alarm detects that someone is on the boat and sounds an immediate chirp warning. If the intruder does not move back or continues to violate the space, the alarm now goes in an alarm state. When this happens, the alarm sends out a signal and your remote which starts it vibrating and chirping to let you know there was a violation. On the display the remote will show the type of violation i.e. perimeter, Ignition, etc.

While the specs state the range is ½ mile from the alarm to the remote, I think it will depend on the area. I’ve parked my bike out in a parking lot and the alarm linked pretty much no matter where I walked in the mall.
The Scorpio system also come with accelerometer for movement detection which I turned down to “1” so the boat is able to rock at the dock without triggering the system. Hopefully if someone ran into the boat and jerked the sensor – I’m sure it would sound an alarm. The Scorpio also comes with a battery backup so if someone cuts the 12 v power it will continue to operate for an hour or so.
On my Ranger I tapped into the carbon detector circuit (always on) for my 12v source. I ran the perimeter sensor inside the cabin right by the cockpit door so if anyone steps into the cockpit area, they are fore-warned. In the event someone slips in a hatch or window, the perimeter sensor will protect the entire cabin.
Anyhow, if someone is considering an alarm system for their boat, the Scorpio system (at least for me) is the ticket. It affords me some piece of mind when I’m not in view of my boat. Another plus is when your trailering the boat. While you’re sitting in a Cracker Barrel having breakfast your same system is working for you.

The Scorpio system sells for just under $300 and come complete with perimeter alarm – ignition disable – battery backup – accelerometer. By the way, the system has a super low drain. While I have shown the SRi500 the new systems are now called the SRi600 and have a new remote with a rechargeable battery.

For more info:
http://www.scorpioalarms.com/

Image shows the small size of the remote which easily fits on your keychain

This image shows the complete installation on a Ranger 25.

Close-up of the alarm module. note the single black wire is the antenna.

Close-up of the Perimeter Sensor by cockpit door.

This is a page showing the remote functions

My Other Hobbies:
www.rotory.com - www.bigpickup.com

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting approach. Is there also an audiable (siren or bell) alarm? What about birds, sea otters, etc setting off the Alarm?

Thanks

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
IdleUp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Interesting approach. Is there also an audiable (siren or bell) alarm? What about birds, sea otters, etc setting off the Alarm?

Thanks

Both the alarms offer a built in programmable 125dB Programmable Multi-Tone siren. The alarm does not trigger from noise it uses a 3-Stage Perimeter Sensor. The perimeter sensor provides a remote activated microwave sensor that detects motion in mass around the the sensor unit. The sensor is fully adjustable for sensitivity as well.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a pretty elaborate system!

I had a much more basic system on my other boat when I bought it, included several sensors and a step on pad in the companionway, and a 12 inch horn under the flying bridge rear bench seat.

Kind of a pain to maintain, though, since it was older.

I left the entire cabin door open (my slip is on the very end corner that everyone goes by) for 4 days accidently, and nothing was bothered inside the cabin or boat!

Decided that was one of the reasons I pay for insurance, etc., and to quit worrying!

Photograph everything of value, though, so you can lodge a claim, if necessary.

I'd never get back the $$ put into my tons of fishing gear that's stored inside my CD-22, however, despite the photographs. Would need an inventory sheet and receipts, probably. Very hard to keep the photos updated, etc.

What, me worry? Would take a lot of the fun out of boating to worry all the time!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
IdleUp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

I feel the way you do however, keep in mind, the alarm system is bullet-proof, if someone doesn't get in the boat, it won't go off. I've been using them for years on my bikes. The system is a deterrent more than anything else. The alarm is at such a pitch that it almost immobilizes you if your in the cabin.

I've seen boats destroyed in the keys and insurance don't fix the your personal frustration of putting in new doors and windows or all your wiring and instruments back in where they just rip it apart with crow bars.

The $300 spent is in most cases less than your deductible - if it works one time, you got it for free without all the problems and calling your insurance company.
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idleup thanks for the excellent post and description. I've been looking for something similiar as my boat is kept quit a distance from my home, 1,000 ft in a lift. Only question I have is if you aren't within range (1/2 mile) of the boat and the alarm is activated does it have any sort of timer to automaticly deactivate it once and intruder is scared away and the threat is gone?
IdleUp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marvin4239 wrote:
Idleup thanks for the excellent post and description. I've been looking for something similiar as my boat is kept quit a distance from my home, 1,000 ft in a lift. Only question I have is if you aren't within range (1/2 mile) of the boat and the alarm is activated does it have any sort of timer to automatically deactivate it once and intruder is scared away and the threat is gone?

I don't think you'll have any problem at that distance - as I mentioned, I park my bike outside malls and hotels etc. and never had any problems yet. Where it really pays off is when your bike (or boat) is parked outside the hotel room where seldom you can see it. The remote will tell you at a glance if your "linked" to the boat. (out of range or blocked). Of course there is a real advantage with a boat since you can get the antenna higher and more vertical than on a bike. By the way, the transmit signal is FM and not AM like many other alarm systems.

If the alarm goes off - you'll get a readout of what type of alarm happened with a time stamp so you know when it happened, just in case you don't have the remote with you. The alarm sounds for a period of time then resets, if the person is still in the boat, it continues until all is clear.
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdleUp wrote:
I've seen boats destroyed in the keys and insurance don't fix the your personal frustration of putting in new doors and windows or all your wiring and instruments back in where they just rip it apart with crow bars.

As I am going to be in the Keys (FL, I presume) this winter I would appreciate more information about what inspired this comment! Any general tips you might have regarding cruising south Florida would also be appreciated...

Thanks,
Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
IdleUp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren,

Please don't let my comments distract you from visiting the Florida Keys, it a super place to visit and of course one of the best boating locations in the US.

However, but if you get around Miami you on your own - Miami is a sewer of low-life's, and one of the many reasons I moved out of there after 40 years. I've seen boats vandalized right at the ramp when the owner went to get his trailer.

Once you get South of Homestead, things begin to get normal. Have fun but keep your eyes open - it's not like it used to be in the 70's & 80's no more!

If I can turn a few things around here - I'll be down in the Keys around February myself.

Cheers!
TomRay
Dealer

City/Region: Punta Gorda
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's amazing technology for the price!

(I grew up in Miami but fled in the mid 90's)

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Nice system Reply with quote

IdleUp: Really nice post. Looks like a good system, and install looks like it is not too challenging.

Joe: Been a while since I've seen that cute little smiling face. Love the tie. For where I park my boat, it may be out of sight, but never out of mind. This looks like a reasonable adjunct to my neighbors, Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson.

Harvey
SleepyC

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have installed a cheaper system on my boat a few years ago after getting ripped off twice. My biggest problem is the boom boom cars, short piped bikes and diesel trucks that go by my house. They all set off the alarm unless I turn it down to the lowest setting , then you can have a party in the boat and the alarm will never go off. Do you have that problem with your system??

Last edited by starcrafttom on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been putting something together with some old junk I had laying around, a motion detector, relay and 120 volt alarm horn. I was going to mount this in the rafters of my boat house with the motion detector aimed at the cockpit. My first motivation for this was to scarre away birds who seem to get inside the netting I have up. This thing Idleup posted may just scare away birds as well as thieves for and added bonus.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdleUp wrote:
Joe,

I feel the way you do however, keep in mind, the alarm system is bullet-proof, if someone doesn't get in the boat, it won't go off. I've been using them for years on my bikes. The system is a deterrent more than anything else. The alarm is at such a pitch that it almost immobilizes you if your in the cabin.

The $300 spent is in most cases less than your deductible - if it works one time, you got it for free without all the problems and calling your insurance company.

Geat point, IdleUP!

I'll give it my serious re-consideration for two of my three boats in slips at Lake Shasta.

Have you seen my Poster for my cabin doors?

Welcome To My C-Dory You ________!!!!

Discouraging intruders is a must! 12 gauge Riot Gun (Winchester 1200) ought to do the job! (Cost $185 used.)

Can also be used for close range Skeet Shooting off end of my C-Dory, Sea Ray, or Fisher 24' Pontoon Boat. Haven't tried it off the back of my jet ski, yet, however.

We could have someone throw the clay pigeons off the back of one of the big boats at speed (with separate driver), and have another driving the jet ski with the shooter riding backwards and shooting off the ski. Ought to be good for a laugh and a good ticket if the Sheriff can find an ordinance against it.

I'll just tell 'em it's an old Navy Seal Commerative Practice and to go see Dusty, Charlie, or Sneaks about it! (Cannot show or reveal military mission sealed orders, however.)

Or just tell them we're a newly formed chapter of Citizens to Protect and Back Up Barack!

Joe. Laughing Thumbs Up
IdleUp

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Joe looks you're gonna be one of those few boat owners who does not need an Alarm system, it appears you have the matter in hand!

By the way, do you hire out for charters? CoolSmile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: